Health and safety forum

Motionsickness

• greenman42

Joined Travelfish
    18th September, 2009

I am a sufferer of motionsickness, worst on a boat. On my first trip to Thailand, I found that a pill was only sometimes effective. Possibly due to varying degress of hangover. This time I'm planning on doing alot of diving, which means many trips in a small boat. I don't really wan't to have to dope myself up before every dive.
    Before anyone says, "You'll get used to it in time". I worked on a cruise ship for seven months, and while this is true for living aboard, I fear it will be quite different adjusting to sea and land daily. Sea legs vs S.E.A. legs, if you will.What other things have people tried that they've found effective?
    Wrist band thingies? Garlic pill?

#1 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 15:24

• Advertisement

• idreamofdur-
    ian

TF writer
    Click here to learn more about idreamofdurian
    Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2008
    Location Singapore
    Total reviews: 4

Dimenhydrinate (AKA Gravol, dramamine) works for me. I suffer worst on winding, mountainous bus rides though, not at sea.

#2 Posted: 1/10/2009 - 16:34

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I find that staying on my feet as much as possible, and keeping an eye on the horizon works pretty well. Helps maintain balance.

#3 Posted: 2/10/2009 - 18:56

• krisited

Joined Travelfish
    23rd November, 2009

staying in front of the boat or a bus or any vehicle for that matter and looking ahead helps me in most of my travels..seeing where we're heading to helps me anticipate movements and yes it helps maintain balance.

#4 Posted: 30/11/2009 - 09:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.