Photo: Keep up to date with your offerings.

Health and safety forum

Vaccinations and The Pill - GIRLS ONLY..maybe boys too...

Posted by virusvaleria on 17/11/2009 at 12:39

does getting the vaccinations interfere with the contraceptive pill? And most importantly, are the shots done on the bum?
sorry, im just needle phobic.

#1 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by Nokka on 17/11/2009 at 19:18

No idea on the pill. Ask the Clinic.

I've never had a vaccination on the bum, but maybe if you pay extra they'll do that for you :)

#2 Nokka has been a member since 6/4/2009. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 259

Posted by RachelW on 17/11/2009 at 20:06

Of course not, the pill is only hormones that would be in your body anyway.

#3 RachelW has been a member since 17/11/2009. Posts: 13

Posted by justjess on 17/11/2009 at 20:52

Posted from within Vietnam.

Vaccinations shouldn't interfere with the pill, but certain Malaria medication will. Make sure you aren't taking Malarone, because it is an antibiotic and will interfere with the pill. I had my doctor give me a prescription for Doxycycline, which is another common preventative malaria medication. 3 months in and no problems. You should always ask your doctor if you have ANY doubt though.

As for the shots, none were given in the bum, but tetanus (if you haven't been updated on boosters in a while) will make you super sore.

Good luck traveling!

#4 justjess has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by justjess on 17/11/2009 at 20:56

OOPS!!!! In that last post, I accidentally messed up. MALARONE will not interfere with the pill, but DOXYCICLINE will (doxycicline is the antibiotic).

Still, ask a doctor just to make sure

#5 justjess has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 8

Posted by virusvaleria on 18/11/2009 at 06:13

allright, so the vaccinations don't interfere with the pill and aren't on the bum....the outer upper arm then? Will ask the doctor yeah...
thanks heaps for the answers

#6 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by virusvaleria on 23/11/2009 at 07:20

@JUSTJESS: had the shots done. My arm is so sore. Can't sleep on it, stuck with the same sleeping position for a while. argh. Bloody tetanus shot...
The doctor gave me Doxy 100 (doxycicline)and it seems to have far less side effects compare to Malarone (it does interfere with the pill but i prefer that then side effects with hallucinations and bad dreams... no thanks)all done then.

#7 virusvaleria has been a member since 10/3/2009. Posts: 40

Posted by justjess on 23/11/2009 at 11:04

I've been taking malarone for 3 months, and even though I have had some vivid dreams (nothing crazy) I haven't experienced any other side effects. My boyfriend is on Doxy, and he also has not experienced any side effects other than vivid dreams. Make sure to stock up on condoms, as they're not really all that available outside of big cities.
Glad to hear it went well and good luck with your travels!

#8 justjess has been a member since 6/8/2009. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.