Health and safety forum

Meningitis vaccine?

• Jleef

Joined Travelfish
    6th July, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hey guys, another jabs-related question...

I'm off to the Drs in a couple of weeks to get my vaccinations for my 6 months trip to SE Asia beginning in the new year. The ones I'm looking at getting / getting boosts of are:

Hep A
    Hep B
    Typhoid
    Tetanus
    Polio
    Diphtheria

I'm pretty set on not getting the rabies shot(s), I've read enough on Malaria to know that taking anti-malarials from day 0 isn't the best plan and is no reason to not be educated and cautious on the matter instead, and I have no wish to become a human pincushion for other needles and statistically unlikely diseases either!

So that being said...what about meningitis? Will I need that one? There doesn't seem to be as much info on this as other vaccinations needed for travelling...Thanks for any advice.

#1 Posted: 21/11/2009 - 04:40

• Advertisement

• gone2asia

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2009

After consulting a medical, I decided to get a vaccination against meningitis (japan encephalitis) - two shots necessary, 180 Euro in total in Germany.
    Major criteria pro vaccination is staying in rural areas where "mosquito interchange" between hosting animals an humans is likely.
    Anyhow getting a rabies vaccination will be a much better idea, as this disease is mortal without treatment and getting that treatment in time will be less likely, the more underdeveloped the country is.
    My medical urged to check my immun factor against rabies, but for the Meningitis he said it would be up to me.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2009 - 00:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.