Health and safety forum

MALARONE AND PREGNANCY

• RACHYPF

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2009

Hi anyone got any advice for trying to conceive after taking malarone? will be trying approx 6-8 weeks after stopping malarone and concerned about birth defects. Anyone in a simlilar position or can give any advice?

#1 Posted: 6/12/2009 - 20:33

• Advertisement

• Toggi

Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2010

Hi - I know the post is rather old but just in case you are still not clear about this issue: I asked my doctor today that very same question (he is a doc specialized in traveling and corresponding questions). He read through the extended version of the package insert and there they stated, that there have been some tests on rabbits with no effects on the mother or the baby. And the half-live period of the active substance is 3 days, usually doctors say that after 10 half-live periods all substance is out of your body again. So waiting for 1 or 2 months and you should be all fine.
    Best,
    Toggi

#2 Posted: 21/1/2010 - 22:45

• chrispyrolls

Click here to learn more about chrispyrolls
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2006
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

Hi

My wife and I both took Malarone whilst travelling in Laos last Feb - then last november we had our first child, healthy and happy ... Only our experience I know, but we have not seen any side effects, and had spoken to our doctor before leaving the UK about any risks and were reassured by her.
    Chris

#3 Posted: 22/1/2010 - 14:00

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.