Health and safety forum

Mosquito Repellant in Cambodia and Laos

• dano_b

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

Hey all!

I know there is much debate about the use of DEET in mosquito repellants, but I was wondering if anyone knew specifially if mosquito repellants with DEET are available and easy to find in Cambodia and Laos? My boyfriend and I are currently in South Korea where DEET is impossible to find. We are wondering if we should get some sent from back home or if waiting until we arrive in Cambodia would be a safe bet.

Any information is greatly appreciated :)

#1 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 19:49

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

You can pick up mosquito repellant easily enough in Laos. Larger shops tend to sell it or sometimes pharmacies. The stuff in Laos is also available in Thailand and, i think, was 14% deet. I think people panic abit about how higher concentration of DEET you need but i found 14% to be just fine. Including for a trek into the jungle. I didn't find Laos particularly bad for mosquitos anyway, i think it took 14 days before i even got bitten and even then, it was probably because i'd become lazy.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 5/1/2010 - 20:58

• dano_b

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

It does help! Thanks for the info :)

#3 Posted: 7/1/2010 - 13:10

• dano_b

Joined Travelfish
    20th December, 2009

Just as a follow-up, we just returned from our trip and mosquito repellent with DEET in varying percentages from 14% to 50% were readily available at any pharmacy all over Cambodia and Laos. We had some trouble with mosquitoes, but never when we had the spray on, even though it was only 14%.

#4 Posted: 18/2/2010 - 09:35

• gscott1

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2012

Hi there,

Roughly how much could you pick up mosquito repellent with DEET for in Cambodia?

I am travelling there in Feb for 5 months - any info would be much appriciated! Thanks :)

#5 Posted: 15/1/2012 - 07:02

• time2fly

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2012
    Location Canada

Does anyone recommend putting on DEET even if they are going to take malaria drugs ? I understand that bugs still bite, but risk wise?

#6 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 13:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

You should still wear repellant (DEET or otherwise) if mosquitoes are lurking around. You are still at risk of Dengue Fever, for which there is no preventative meds.

#7 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 17:51

• Tom2602

Joined Travelfish
    27th August, 2014

Anybody know if its ok to wear DEET and suncream together?

I'm pretty paranoid about getting dengue so plan to wear DEET day and night, but i'm also fair skinned so i've got to regularly apply suncream during the day. Heard the two don't mix together too well. Anybody got any suggestions, or first hand experience, of how to keep the mosquitos away day and night with ease?

#8 Posted: 27/8/2014 - 19:10

• magicFly

Joined Travelfish
    13th July, 2014
    Places visited:
    At least 43

Put on the deet first and then the suncream.

Anyway you must be very luckyto get bitten by mosquitoes during the day. normaly they come out early evening.

So I would give it a try without deet during the day!

#9 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 06:36

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Tom,

Beg to differ with magicFly - firstly, dengue mosquitoes bite during the day (as I'm guessing you already know) so if there are mossies about, wearing deet and practicing other bite-avoidance techniques (long trousers, socks, long-sleeved shirts) are a good idea.

Secondly, Health Canada says to apply sunscreen first (and be generous), then apply as little deet as you can get away with, ideally with a little time between the sunscreen and the deet (so wait 20 or 30 minutes after you apply the sunscreen before you apply the deet, if you can. Most sunscreens recommend you apply 20 minutes before you go in the sun anyway). Make sure you wash your hands after applying deet, don't reapply the deet more than you have to or apply to broken skin or areas of skin that don't need it - such as under clothes - and wash it off your skin once you're back inside.

But all that safety advice said, don't stress too much about it. Millions of people use deet safely.

Have a good trip.

#10 Posted: 30/8/2014 - 11:04

• Advertisement

• Jratt700

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2014

I have also read to apply sunscreen first and then the DEET.

#11 Posted: 13/9/2014 - 11:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Mosquito repellant advice ... By BruceMoon on 6 Jun 2009 2 1838 7 Jun 2009
Mosquito repellant advice ... By BruceMoon on 6 Jun 2009 4 3144 8 Jun 2009
Mosquito repellant advice ... By BruceMoon on 6 Jun 2009 0 2140 6 Jun 2009
Mosquito repellant advice ... By BruceMoon on 6 Jun 2009 1 1617 7 Jun 2009