Health and safety forum

insect repellent issues...

• jack2408

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

Hey im going to SE Asia for 3 months in March and I was just looking for some information on the best insect repellent to use. I was thinking this.....http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/lifemarque-exped-plus-100ml-insect-repellent-p108860

....which I believe is 50%. Anyone used this before? How long will it last? How many canisters should I buy?

Thanks a lot.

Jack

#1 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 03:41

• Advertisement

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

I would just save yourself some money and buy one when your in SE Asia!

I took some jungle formula stuff 50% deet but to be honest, that level of deet made my skin itch and, once it had run out, i just bought the local 14% stuff which worked great - as good as the 50% stuff from home.

If you wanted to take some with you for arrival then by all means get a bottle but i wouldn't pay too much for it nor would i worry about it running out as you can buy the stuff there anyway

#2 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 06:05

• jack2408

Joined Travelfish
    2nd February, 2010

thanks a lot buddy, much appreciated.

#3 Posted: 15/2/2010 - 07:50

• bettysheis

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

Hello all, thought I'd tag my question on the end of here regarding suncream and insect repellent..

My boy and I are off on our first trip travelling for a year starting in Thailand on 4th May, I'm very excited but having never been to the tropics, and being a red headed girl, I'm very aware about sun protection. So, my question is, does insect repellent alter the effectiveness of sun cream or vice versa? Or does anyone have experience with the 2 in 1 stuff?

Might seem like a trivial question, but I have no idea about whether to get stuff online here, or wait til we're there.

Love the sight by the way, it's been invaluable in helping us plan this trip. Thanks!

Funny how it's the little things that worry you

#4 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 01:29

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Bettysheis,

You should bring your own sunscreen, and plenty of it if you're going to be there for 3 months. It's always better to have more than to run out. The sunscreen situation in Thailand is improving quite a bit, but if you are using a very high SPF, or something that you can't do without, then load up at home and bring it along (in zip-loc bags in your check-in baggage.)

Sunscreen first, repellent second. Most repellents won't effect the sunscreen.

Keep in mind that most mozzies are going to be coming out an hour or two after the time when the sun is most intense. The exception is the mosquito that spreads the Flavivirus which causes Dengue. This insect bites, mostly, at dawn and dusk, but can and will bite throughout the day, especially around the ankles and legs.

Can't speak for the 2 in 1 stuff.

The stuff in the link ... if it is good for 10 hours, then it probably has a very high concentration of DEET and is likely more concentrated than you require. It's probably fine, though it seems to be quite expensive. You may want to consider getting more of something with a lower concentration (25% or 30%) that costs less. An application of 30% should be effective for about 5-6 hours.

I don't know what "natural pyrethoids" means as they are chemically synthesized. Seems like a strange description. Also, so you know, many bed bugs are now resistant to pyrethroids.

#5 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 04:25

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

I used to be red headed also. Old and white/gray now. LOL Sunscreen here in Thailand is easy to find. Most run in the spf 30 to 50 range. I didn't have a problem in Vietnam either. The asian girls use it also as it prevents them from getting darker. You will see all the whitening creams taking up the shelf space. Basically sunscreen. A marketing scam but they sell tons of the stuff. Repellent, I would wait and get some here.

#6 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 08:36

• bettysheis

Joined Travelfish
    15th February, 2010

Thanks everyone! x

#7 Posted: 23/2/2010 - 19:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
incognito insect repellent ... By Puzzle on 3 Sep 2010 0 1853 3 Sep 2010
insect and midge repellent ... By komal1290 on 24 Jun 2011 0 3758 24 Jun 2011
Insect repellent - anything 100% effective? ... By jemal29 on 24 Sep 2012 22 13750 10 Aug 2014
Natural insect repellent. ... By nerja on 6 Nov 2011 4 1996 6 Nov 2011