Insurance forum

World Escapade Insurance

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi all!

Just read on a post about www.worldescapade.com travel insurance. It's much cheaper than world nomads and apparently covers the same basics... anyone has anything to say about them?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 5/5/2010 - 20:20

• Advertisement

• mrnice88

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2010

hi indoluso.
    ive just been doing a bit of research and it seems World Escapade is a lot cheaper than WN.
    Just wondering what the deal is with, and please excuse my english here, but when its like country of origin, i put thailand, that doesnt mean i have to take out insurance for each country im going to does it? would the policy cover says cambodia,vietnam and laos.

#2 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 19:32

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hello mrnice88,

About your question, I think that in country of origin you have to put your country of residence and not the countries you are going to. As far as I know, haven't bought any insurance yet, they don't ask for the countries you'll be travelling to.

Hope it helps!

#3 Posted: 11/5/2010 - 22:49

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I took out a policy with World Escapade last trip and I'm going to do the same this trip. They provide exactly the same basic medical cover as World Nomads (same underwriter, same policy wording) at less than half the price.

In my case:

7 months World Nomads. 727 Euros (ouch)
    7 months World Escapade 296.80 Euros.

Sorry Somtam, I know World Nomads are your and Lonely Planet's recommended travel insurance company but it's a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned! (Please don't start recommending World Escapade though because if you do they'll probably hike up the prices ... as someone said on another thread, they seem to be cashing in (big time) on the fact that they are LP's recommended insurance company)

I didn't make a claim when I was using World Escapade last year but I've claimed on a World Nomad policy before. They coughed up the money promptly enough (even though the exchange rate they applied wasn't very favourable) BUT I discovered a catch that people may not be aware of.

If you look at the World Nomads website you will see them using this
    "Buy, extend and claim online even after you've left home" as an argument for taking out insurance with them.

Flexibility like this seems very handy if, like me, you never know exactly how long you'll be travelling for. As they don't reimburse you if you go back earlier than expected it seems like a good thing to extend as you go along, doesn't it?

Well, not always.

I was getting treated for an ear infection when I extended my policy. The antibiotics didn't work so I had to go back for further treatment the following week. When I put in a claim World Nomads told me the second treatment wasn't covered because it was a *pre-existing condition*. Turns out that each time you "extend" you are in fact buying a new policy, not extending the old one.

This doesn't matter too much for a small thing like a return visit to a doctor for an ear infection but it WOULD matter if you were in the middle of getting treated for injuries after a motorbike accident or something. Just something to be aware of when you buy your insurance (from either company ... they both offer to extend you insurance cover while you're travelling)

#4 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 15:35

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Forgot... there is one difference between the two companies. World Nomads only lets people up to the age of 66 sign up for their insurance but you don't have to sit at home watching daytime TV till you're 78 with World Escapade.

#5 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 15:45

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

hmmm, not sure about this one.

I just went and tried it out. A year long travel policy for an Australian heading overseas excluding the US, Japan etc came out as:

World Nomads A$604
    World Escapade US$602 (this is for medical cover only)

By that, World Nomads is actually cheaper.

Perhaps there are bigger differences for other nationalities, also worth noting that a newer company will have a lower history of claims and so may have lower premiums with their underwriter etc - not sure about that but a guess.

We recommend World Nomads not because they're the cheapest -- they're not -- but because we think they have a good product -- we use it, are very "traveller orientated" and, well, are a good bunch of people.

But that aside, I'm curious why you're getting such different rates. Seems very odd.

#6 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 18:00

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I type in France as country of residence (well I do live here some of the time) ;-) and World Nomads prices have always seemed very high even when I first signed up for one of their policies, before I made my one and only claim with them. They must have different rates for different countries of origin.

As I said, I'm QUITE HAPPY for you to go on not recommending the other lot but World Escapades does seem to have identical cover and they also allow older folk to travel in an adventurous manner. 66 isn't THAT old nowadays. I'm sure there are a lot of recently retired people who finally have the time to travel who find World Nomads age restrictions rather a pain.

#7 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 18:24

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

PS I just checked the "about" page of each of these companies.

The newer company is World Nomads... launched in 2002. World Escapades has been around since 1987.

#8 Posted: 2/8/2010 - 20:28

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

I work at World Escapade. We have the same policy World Nomads uses outside Australia. The difference in premium is because we have a different business model. Most of our sales are direct and not via affiliates. We are still a human size company and we do our best to keep our premiums the lowest possible so you can spend more money on hotels and restaurants during your trips. Thanks for the good words and join us on Facebook!

#9 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 03:42

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

By the way, what a nice website travelfish has! Lots of things to feed my Travel Passion! Bravo!

#10 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 03:46

• Advertisement

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I got attacked by a sneaky ant thing full of a toxin 12 times stronger than cobra venom last week and had to go to the doctor about it. (I cannot believe that the scar will ever go away BTW... it still looks like someone threw vitriol at my elbow)

Anyway, I'll be sending a small claim to jetlag474 and will report back about what happened.

#11 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 04:14

• caese

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

I'd be really interested to know about this one as well. I have to get one before leaving in 2 weeks...
    i checked the prices and i get
    58euros full cover with WE
    against 110 with WN.
    policies seem to be the same but i m definitly keen to get some feedback about it, as i couldnt really find any...
    Thanks for sharing SBE

(by the way, WE policies on insurance extension is the same as WN, then wont pay for something that happened in the previous time of subscription!)

#12 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 09:21

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks for reminding me to get my claim in Caese. It has to be done within a month of returning to your home country.

I've just spent about two hours filling in the e-claim form and getting all the stuff they need together (scans of the medical bill and travel documents).

Problem #1. I didn't keep print outs of my flights and once you've used the flight the e-ticket disappears off the airline company database. I hope they accept the original email confirmation.

Problem #2. I haven't had a single glass of bordeaux yet today but I still can't see where you fill in your policy number anywhere on the e-claim form world escapade provides.Without this you can't send the email. You get a pop up saying "Field policy has no value,please fill in this field"

I just contacted them about this but can anyone else see where you write policy details on this form?

http://global.ihi.com/travel+insurance/claim/~/media/eclaim%20forms%202010/Claim_Form_for_e-claiming_Travel_Medical%20Claims.ashx

#13 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 17:33

• caese

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2011

policy number is on page 2. the red field on line 3...
    Ctrl+F when you dont find something ^^

#14 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 19:43

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

Hi caese and sbe, WE and WN are brokers selling ihi Bupa policy. In case of claim with both companies, you have to claim directly to Bupa who is giving the assistance service. So in both companies, the claim process is the same.

Naturally, we suggest you keep a copy of your e-ticket for airline in case of claim and in case you need to reprint them later if needed for government issue or anything else. I keep my e-tickets for 1 year in a seperate forler on my email account. I suggest you do the same in case...

Have a safe trip!

#15 Posted: 20/4/2011 - 20:54

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Naturally, we suggest you keep a copy of your e-ticket

Does it say that somewhere on your site?

God I'm blind today. Anyway, a nice patient lady replied promptly to my email and told me to look on page one of the claim form. So I scrutinized it again and sure enough there's a box buried in the name and address bit for the policy number. It looks less buried now than it did this morning for some reason. I think my eyes aren't used to looking at the computer screen while stone cold sober.

Bit mystified about you seeing the box on page 2 caese... and I still can't see any red fields. They all look rather yellowish beige to me. I think I'll have another glass of wine and see if they turn red.

#16 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 02:24

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"Problem #2. I haven't had a single glass of bordeaux yet today "

Love it, SBE! By the way, how is the beetle-juice ant infection going? It sounded revolting!
    When are you next heading back to SEA? I'll be there late-Sept to early Nov (4 weeks Laos, then a week or so stopover in Bali on way home) - you gonna be in the neighborhood?

#17 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 05:51

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I might be but was planning on heading east and up a bit from Bali in October...one of them wee specks in the ocean before you get to PNG. I might be able to get to Bali early November, depends on whether there's a Pelni boat or a flying songthaew to the nearest airport that week or the next. Would be great to see you again (and his nibs) though!

#18 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 07:03

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Last night I got a bit side tracked looking at videos of people aiming rocket launchers at Cambodian cows etc on you tube so I didn't finish filling in the form.

But back to the grindstone today. I'm not going to let this thing beat me (even if 1,190B is is taking up an inordinate amount of my remaining lifespan)

Problem #3

The policy number I got given is too long to fit in the boxes provided. I think you have to just put in the first 11 digits and leave out the bit starting with WE which presumably is what identifies my world escapade policy.

Problem #4

On page 2 there is a box which asks if I have insurance with another company. Good question. Do I or don't I? Presumably ihiBupa and World Escapade are different companies. (Otherwise they'd have the same name)

The expert lawyer who drew up this document presumably knew what he was doing when he chose the word "company" (as opposed to the word "underwriter").

So maybe this is the bit where you're supposed to mention World Escapade (even if there's nowhere to put their policy number here either)

However, I'm not sure how to answer the question: "Has the claim been reported to the other company?"

You have to answer Yes or No, there's no "don't know" option.

Although jetlag 474 is now only too well aware that I have a claim pending regarding a vitriol attack by a rove bug and I've even mentioned how much I had to fork out on doctor fees, I'm not sure that constitutes a proper report.

Which box do you think I should tick? Yes or No?

(It's healing a bit now thanks Lizzy. Gone a kind of dead white with a purple bit in the middle with a yellow crust....which is better than when it was purplish black with bubbles and oozing pus in the middle.)

#19 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 17:54

• roff

Joined Travelfish
    19th October, 2010

Haven't seen anything on the WE website that allows you to qualify the insurance to cover stuff like diving. I know you can pot to do this on WN by using the class 3 insurance.. can anyone help with this?

#20 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 20:29

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

Hi roff, World Escapade covers extreme sports. Here is the information taken from the Travel Insurance Key Features on WE website:
    No exclusions on dangerous occupations or sports
    (with the exception of motorsport competitions/shows/races, and active participation in war)
    Happy diving!

#21 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 20:42

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Jetlag, could you tell me the answer to problem #4 too please?

Am I supposed to fill in the box on page 2 or not? Is WE considered another insurance company from ihiBUPA?

#22 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 20:50

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

dear sbe, our policy number has 8 digits starting with WE, the numbers before WE are the certificate number. We are not an insurance company. For problem 4, they ask that in case you have a cover with a credit card of at your work so they could claim to another Insurance company. Hope this clears things up for you... :)

#23 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 21:20

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

dear sbe, our policy number has 8 digits starting with WE, the numbers before WE are the certificate number.

Right I've read that answer twice, policy number starts with WE, the other numbers are the certificate number. Got it. Lets do this.

Problem #5 Now I'm really confused. *Swigs a large G&T*

On the form (which I've now printed out for easy reference and test runs) they ask you to write down your policy number to the left of the bit where they ask you to write your date of birth.

If you try and enter the WE policy number in the spaces provided you discover you can't. It's one digit too long. Which digit or letter can I safely not bother entering?

The only thing that fits in there is the certificate number. That's why I thought I'd bung that in there and ignore the WE policy number seeing as there's nowhere obvious I can mention it on that form I got from you.

#24 Posted: 21/4/2011 - 22:01

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

It's healing a bit now thanks Lizzy. Gone a kind of dead white with a purple bit in the middle with a yellow crust....which is better than when it was purplish black with bubbles and oozing pus in the middle.)
    Hmmmm.... I think I'm sorry that I asked - it sounds horrible! Good luck sorting out the insurance. That sounds like a horrible experience too.

#25 Posted: 22/4/2011 - 06:25

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

When I emailed WE asking about where to put the policy number I also inquired how to attach the required documents to the e-claim form. (Travel itinerary and medical bills). I couldn't see how you could attach scanned documents to the claim form.

This is the email answer I received from WE.

quote:

You also have to attached you medical bill. You can do it by scan.

...which wasn't all that helpful.

Although the button at the bottom says submit by email, it is not an email format and there is nowhere to attach files. There is just a button saying submit by email at the bottom. When you press this button the form disappears into the ether without trace.

Dear jetlag

HOW DO YOU ATTACH SCANNED DOCUMENTS TO THE E-CLAIM FORM.

Could you explain in simple terms that a person with very limited IT skills can understand please.

Thank you.

#26 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 14:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Wow! For all the trouble you are having SBE, I will think twice about using them for myself on my upcoming trip. It will be interesting to see whether or not Jetlag can help sort this out for you once and for all. What a rigamorale. :-(

#27 Posted: 25/4/2011 - 15:34

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I got a reply from WE by email today

"Normally the e-form attach itself to your outlook and you can send your claim directly."

Am I the only person in the whole world who doesn't use outlook? I've never understood what the advantage of using it is. It's cumbersome and has security issues like phishing and spreading dangerous worms like melissa and sobig.

Anyway, for some reason there wasn't any sign of outlook either when I hit the send button. Usually when it's an outlook thing a popup appears saying it's outlook. But when I hit send on the WE form, it just disappeared.

And who knows where it went with my name, address, date of birth and credit card number.

Tip 1: Do not hit the send email button at the bottom of the form. Fill in the form, save it and then attach it and the required documents to a proper email like gmail or hotmail or yahoo. This way you will at least have some trace of where it went.

Tip 2. (This tip does not apply if you follow tip#1.)

WE says you need an Adobe reader but that isn't strictly true, you can use a Foxit reader too if you can't be arsed downloading Adobe or if you've actually read Adobe's terms and conditions of use and find them abusive.

If a message comes up saying you can't send the form because you are reading in safe mode and need to get the trust manager to turn it off, then don't bother wasting ages trying to find your trust manager somewhere in your browser tools. It's in your Foxit reader. Find the trust manager and turn off safe mode.

Once you're in dangerous mode, fill in the form (again) and hit the send button and hope an outlook popup appears.

To be continued....

#28 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 01:23

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

SBE, you can submit by mail if you don't have the IT knowledge to fill your claim by email. Please call the assistance line if you have any questions. They are specialists in assisting you with your medical claim but not with your computer. Simply use an old fashion envelope and a stamp!

#29 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 02:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Places visited:
    At least 107

"you can submit by mail if you don't have the IT knowledge to fill your claim by email."
    Jetlag - since when is one supposed to have IT knowledge to fill out a website form?!

It doesn't make sense that the website assumes that people have Outlook to send the email - especially if people are making a claim when travelling.

Maybe it's time to review the website functionality to see if there are things that can be done to make it easier to use for 'non-IT specialists' to have a more 'enjoyable' experience in making a claim.

#30 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 02:57

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes, using the old fashioned postal service has occurred to me several times jetlag. The printable claim form looks pretty straightforward to fill in.

I was just interested in seeing how easy it is to make an e-claim. Postal services can very unreliable in some countries so if you're making the claim while abroad it would probably be tempting to try and make an e-claim.

Just curious. Have you ever actually tried to fill in the ihi e-claim form yourself jetlag?

Question: Describe the course of the illness.

Next question: Describe the symptoms.

What is the difference between these two questions? Can you think of an illness where you wouldn't be writing the same thing down twice?

Then this bit:

Have you previously had similar symptoms?

If so when?

Diagnosis. (Of what? The current illness or the previous one?)

Question: Do you have another insurance company? (No)

Next question. Did you inform the other insurance company?

I discovered that you can't send off the form until you specified whether or not you have informed the insurance company you don't have.

I realize that this is ihi bupa's form and not WE's but maybe someone should point out to them that it's rather poorly designed.

Is World Nomad's e-claim form exactly the same as the one you use? I can't access it.

#31 Posted: 26/4/2011 - 03:40

• big_bruz

Joined Travelfish
    22nd June, 2011

Hi SBE, I'm looking at taking out travel insurance with WE, or should I say ihi Bupa

Just wondering what the outcome of your claim was?

#32 Posted: 22/6/2011 - 20:49

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hi, sorry I forgot to post an update. This is the email I got from Bupa on May 24 about 4 weeks after I posted my claim to them... processing took longer than they say on the ihi Bupa website.

We are pleased to inform you that theamount of EUR 27.31 has been transferred to your bank account and willbe at your disposal within 8-12 working days.

(I haven't bothered checking what date it actually got credited, but presume it's there by now).

What I actually paid in medical fees: 1,119 B

Their reimbursement figure was $38.92 or 27.31 Euro which is a good exchange rate.

This compares very favorably with a reimbursement I got from World Nomads in 2008
    That bill then came to 7963.5 B and WN reimbursed $196,04. I remember that at the time it was less than I expected so I just checked the exchange rates for May 2008.

Unless I'm mistaken WN seem to have skimmed off about $50 from the amount ihi Bupa must have paid out.

World Normads vs World Escapade Crash Test.

1. Both companies offer a similar level of cover which is very comprehensive but WE is more flexible and covers older people than WN. WE also allows you to opt out of cover for the US if you don't need it. (WE wins).

2. WN has designed its own eclaim forms and they are far better designed than the ones WE uses. WE just provides a link to ihi Bupa eclaim forms "as a favor" for their clients.It's not their problem if they are so badly worded they are unusable. (WN wins)

-Neither company provides any encryption for online claim forms. This is a potential security issue because you have to enter bank or credit card details to get reimbursed, if you're using a public computer heaving with key loggers and trojans in a cyber cafe. (No points to either).

-Both companies allow you to make claims once you get home. You have one month to make your claims. (No difference).

-Both companies allow you to extend while abroad. Neither company will cover you for existing conditions if you do this. ie. If you are already ill when you extend you will no longer be covered for that illness even if there is no break in your insurance coverage. To avoid this sneaky *get out of paying claims* clause it is far more advantageous for you as the client to insure yourself for the entire period in one go. (No points to either)

-WN is CONSIDERABLY more expensive than WE (for Europeans anyway). (WE wins hands down here).

- Although WE replied promptly to my emails I wasn't very satisfied with their replies. They either didn't address the question or contained thinly veiled sarcasm/put downs (or both). As I said, they were very prompt indeed at replying but more professionalism when dealing with clients would be good.The lady who replies to emails seems to have limited English language skills which is a bit harder to fix....not really a huge huge problem but her marking my emails as "spam" and her inability to figure out what my name was rather annoyed me.
    -1 for attitude (easily fixed) -1 for English language problems ... (not so easily fixed but attitude counts even more IMO).

I should point out here that WE sent me 3 unsolicited emails in French trying to secure payment when my paypal transaction failed....very eager to get payment. One of the emails suggested I just sent them my credit card number and expiry date by email. That set off big alarm bells and is one of the reasons I pestered them with so many "irritating" questions about their firm and the way they operate. A couple of other things bothered me too...like nowhere to put the WE policy number on the ihi Bupa e-claim form. I'm still not sure what that policy number was for though I did add it as a remark on the printable claim form.

I get the impression WE is a very small company (maybe just two people doing this from home). That said, it seems to be a perfectly legitimate insurance broker and my insurance claim was honored by ihi Bupa so they didn't just pocket the money and run without insuring me. The claim notification from ihi Bupa said "business travel policy" which was a bit odd but other than that nothing suspicious to report!

I checked with WN to see whether they too use that crap ihi Bupa e-claim form as it is not visible on their site. They took longer to reply but were far more polite and helpful and I did not detect the merest whiff of disrespect in my correspondence with them WN have designed their own e-claim form and it is MUCH better worded than the ihi Bupa one. (+1 for professional helpful attitude but a bit slow to reply and +1 again for noticing a problem and doing something about it to make things easier for customers)

- Payment options. WE only offer Paypal payments as an option except for residents of the US and Canada. Their credit card payment system appears to have sufficient security in place. Paypal can be problematic if you try to pay from abroad. My payment got refused and I had to wait for them to send a 4 digit code to my home address in a bank statement before I could use it. Not terribly convenient if you're on the other side of the world for 6 months and something to bear in mind if you plan to buy an extension to your insurance with WE.
    I actually prefer using Paypal (fewer impossible security hoops to jump through than credit cards nowadays) so for me Paypal is not a negative...once you've got that security code.

WN offer credit card payments with secure encryption wherever you come from AFAIK.

(hmm.. maybe WN wins here even though I personally like having a Paypal option)

-WE just acts as a broker. They collect your money and don't deal with the claims part...you have to deal with ihi Bupa directly. While this may seem like less of a service for its clients it is actually A VERY GOOD THING because it means the reimbursement process is totally transparent. +2

-WN provides a whole package and act as an interface between you and ihi Bupa. WN clients never deal directly with ihi Bupa . While this may seem like they are looking after you better THIS IS A VERY BAD THING because it means there is no transparency regarding reimbursement. Not only are they very over priced for European clients, they seem to be not reimbursing the full amount.

Conclusion. For me World Escapade wins hands down in terms of value for money. World Nomads has tried to make the claim process as easy as possible but there's a big price to pay (literally).

#33 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 00:56

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

Dear SBE, thank you for your review of our service. We at World Escapade will do our best to improve our claim process and form. We are over 20 employees with strong interest in providing the best possible service to our clients at the lowest price.

We have read your comment with great interest. We will make adjustments soon!

#34 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 02:07

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

@big_bruz I checked the prices a while ago and it's cheaper to go with WE than ihi Bupa directly.

@jetlag. Don't you dare go and increase your prices now! (Sinon pas de cadeaux du tout la prochaine fois) ;-) Glad you are taking the e-claim form problem seriously now. It's a major issue when people try and claim from abroad. Snail mail is not reliable...I sent some postcards from Thailand about 10 years ago and they still haven't arrived.

#35 Posted: 24/6/2011 - 04:53

• burian

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2011

World Escapade increased their price by 100 %!!! I wanted to extend my insurance but it's around the double price now!

What is a cheap alternative?

My home country is Germany.

#36 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 14:10

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

They did??? Well that reflects very badly on them indeed. As I said they are a very small company...small enough to for them email me personally three times trying to secure payment when my paypal transaction didn't go through.

This is way too much of a coincidence.

OK, I'm going to get on to them for an explanation!

And I may ask Somtam to delete my favorable report post too.

#37 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 15:31

• jetlag747

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2011

Hi all, at World Escapade, we had to adjust our rates june first imposed by the Insurance company. All ihi Buppa distributors were affected. Our rates are still much lower than our competitors. The value of claims is always increasing because of higher medical bills insurance company has to pay. This reflects every year on the premium.

World Escapade will always offer the best premiums on the market by keeping it's distribution cost as low as possible.

For comments or questions, don't hesitate to contact us by email at info@worldescapade.com

#38 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 19:55

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

So did ihi Bupa double their rates Jetlag?

#39 Posted: 30/6/2011 - 20:10

• burian

Joined Travelfish
    30th June, 2011

It's not true that World Escapade's rates are much lower than the competition!

World Nomads is only slightly more expensive. One month insurance used to cost around 40 Euros with World Escapade. Now it's around 80 Euros and World Nomads is 90 Euros.

#40 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 12:57

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Absolutely burian. I withdraw all my comments in the post above about them being much cheaper. Not much difference at all between WN and WE prices.

Jetlag's justification for a 100% increase in the cost of World Escapade insurance sounded like a load of hogwash to me. World Nomads also use ihi Bupa and they didn't double their prices.

How much, in percentage terms, did ihi Bupa increase their rates Jetlag?

#41 Posted: 1/7/2011 - 16:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
World Nomads Travel Insurance ... By think87 on 5 Mar 2009 53 17146 29 Nov 2012
Travel Insurance - World Nomads? ... By tatham on 17 May 2010 4 4783 26 Oct 2010
Traveling to SEA for 3 months from US..best insurance? STA vs. World Nomads ... By lola899 on 8 Jan 2011 1 3502 9 Jan 2011
Why we recommend World Nomads travel insurance ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jun 2013 4 2796 27 Jul 2013
Save 5% off all travel insurance policies with World Nomads ... By somtam2000 on 12 May 2006 13 8903 12 Nov 2010
discount voucher code for world nomad travel insurance ... By tinacrossman on 25 May 2012 1 2799 26 May 2012