• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

hi,
    i was hoping that someone could
    define what world nomads means
    when they say they will cover
    emergency dental?
    are wisdom teeth issues (pain and inflammation) covered if its not a pre-existing condition?
    hope someone can help.
    thanks

#1 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 14:17

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes I would have thought so. They probably won't pay for crowns and the like though. Why not email and ask?

#2 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 14:24

• sharpie

Joined Travelfish
    28th February, 2010

thanks
    yeh i was thinking about emailing but i know this sounds silly but if i emailed and then tried to make a claim could they try say that it was pre-existing.
    thought i'd try the experts here first:)

#3 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 15:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

If the toothache started after you'd left home and after your insurance contract started covering you then it isn't pre-existing ...unless the tooth in question has given you trouble before. Asking for clarification shouldn't change anything.

Some insurance policies have a clause saying they won't cover you for non-urgent medical problems that occur within (say) 10 days of the start of the contract. Check the small print to see if this applies to you. They do this to stop people who (for example) develop toothache and THEN take out travel insurance to cover the cost of treatment. You'd still be covered you if you happened get run over by a bus the day you signed the contract because that is obviously not a pre-existing condition.

World Nomads allow you to extend your contract while you're away. This sounds like a good thing when you don't know exactly how long you'll be travelling. However there is a catch...when you extend your contract they treat it like a new policy. This has implications. A couple of years ago I had an ear infection and the treatment didn't work so I had to go back to the doctor again. So happened that my insurance ran out between these two doctors' visits and World Nomads wouldn't cover the cost of the second one because it was considered a pre-existing condition. This isn't too important when it's something like ear ache but it could be if you were in the middle of treatment for a serious road accident or something. Just a heads up when you're deciding what policy to chose.

#4 Posted: 6/6/2010 - 21:23

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.