Insurance forum

Travel insurance - excl Nomands

• Alina

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

Hi All,

I know that the most recomended on this forum is Nomads. BUT it is very expensive and comes to £300. for 2 for 3 months. It looks like flexicover/insure for/covermore can give me an insurance around £70/person for the whole year for the same thing! Even virgin is £50 per annum.

Due to that I am really lost. I need the one which will look after me in case of emergency/medical problems. And the one which will pay me rather than try to get out of paying ( Tesco is a good example of cheap but bad service company )

My problem is that I am going to to SEAsia for 3 months so I need an insurance that will cover trips of min 3 months.

Has anyone used flexicover, covermore or virigin? How are they in emergency cases? Or are there any other ones worth checking out?

Thanks
    Alina

#1 Posted: 8/9/2010 - 19:38

• Advertisement

• savorygal

Joined Travelfish
    16th July, 2010

I am thinking of going with Atlas insurance. They seem fairly reasonable (from a US perspective as health insurance is ridiculous here). $ 680 for one year with a sports rider. I am 48 y/o which does up the price a bit.

website is www.mnui.com

I am curious if anyone has ever heard of them or actually used them.

#2 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 06:14

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I can't comment on the specific policies that you mention, but when looking at insurance options for myself, I went to each insurance company website and downloaded their policy documents so that I could compare coverage, exclusions and inclusions.

I know that there has been some discussion on this previously so did a search for something that I had written previously. Have a look at my comments in this thread:
    http://www.travelfish.org/board/post/travelinsurance/10073_travel-insurance---your-choice-

I also came across this article: http://www.travelfish.org/feature/6

They should help you to evalauate different policies. I think the key thing is to not worry too much about getting the cheapest one; you want the one that will give you the best coverage for the things that concern you: medical evacuation; loss of possessions, cancelled flights, etc

#3 Posted: 9/9/2010 - 06:57

• Alina

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

BussyLizzy: thanks for the links. I have read all the forum and I do understand that I need to get insured with the 'right' company. The thing is that all companies I have mentioned give you very similar coverage. That's why I am very confused which one to choose. They all quite similar and their prices are fine, it's just the question is which one will be more 'user friendly' than other?
    If nomands would have a good price I would of course use them, but if not choosing them in the UK there are just so many insurance companies than trying to pick one of them is a nightmare!!
    I have prepared everything for my trip: vaccinations, anti malarial pills, rucksacks, intinery BUT I am stuck with the insurance. It drives me insane!

#4 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 17:21

• Alina

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

I meant busylizzy not bussylizzy - sorry!! :)

#5 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 17:21

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

I can't vouch for any other company but I know one thing...

A guy I met in Siem Reap in 2008 told me he snapped his arm in half arm wrestling a Russian police officer in Moscow. World Nomads flew him back to Australia business class (first flight available) and took care of everything.

Just make sure you read the fine print...you get what you pay for.

#6 Posted: 12/9/2010 - 19:59

• Alina

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2010

:) I don't think I am planning on wrestling a Russian police officer, but thanks for the advice.

p.s. did they not say it was his own fault - kinda falls under 'reckless behavior' line?

#7 Posted: 13/9/2010 - 01:13

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Hi all

Can anyone give any pointers on insuring for just Emergency Medical/repatriation (say £1 million UK pounds) for 18 months. Normally UK resident.

World nomads comes out around £1500 USD and includes loads of cover I don't want or need!!

Maybe, possibly, with some other bits, like
    Personal liabilty £1m; Search & rescue £5k; Emergency Dentist £300; Personal accident £10k

Definately not posessions or money, etc...

An option to extend it while on the road would be nice, but not essential

If anyone has any tips it would be much appreciated :)

#8 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 16:07

• svendj

Joined Travelfish
    30th April, 2010
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 32

I think it's funny that a lot of people do take such expensive insurances. I know it can be a good thing as you never know what's going to happen but most of the time don't even bother about it (especially when going to SE Asia).
    I did had my insurance just from back home (as it automatically insures 3 months of travel).
    Had been in hospitals in Thailand and Laos twice and didn't even ask for the insurance papers and stuff cause it is so cheap to go there.

Though once you need to get x-rays and mri scans for something, things do get expensive, but even then it will sometimes cost you more to take care of your insurance instead of just paying for it at the hospital.

at last, I do think that Nomads is one of the best to go with, though more expensive but you do get value for money (if something happens), there's always the "IF".

#9 Posted: 3/11/2010 - 19:53

• WonderingTs-
    ar

Joined Travelfish
    28th January, 2010
    Total reviews: 2

Just incase it helps anyone in the future. This site is brilliant for researching alternative travel insurance (UK), I didn't find exactly what I was after (ref post 8} but I did find a reputable insurer offering maaassive savings over the Nomads equivalent.

#10 Posted: 8/11/2010 - 15:32

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.