Insurance forum

Traveling to SEA for 3 months from US..best insurance? STA vs. World Nomads

• lola899

Joined Travelfish
    7th September, 2010

traveling with US passport for about 3 months to SEA, what would be the best travel insurance? World Nomads or STA??

#1 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 22:41

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi lola,

i think it depends on what type of coverage you are seeking. i know Travelfish recommends World Nomads, and i think that is because World Nomads is a very comprehensive policy that covers just about everything. it is well-designed for that gap year experience and others who will be out for an extended period of time. but i've also noticed that World Nomads tends to have better prices and coverage for people from the civilised english-speaking world like the UK and OZ and not as good a policy rate for those of us from the united states.

i tend to shop around before i buy. one place i've had good luck comparison shopping and eventually finding the policy i need for a given trip is the insuremytrip website here in the states. you can browse different types of policies, like package or medical, and compare coverage and price.

i know when i buy a travel insurance policy, i'm more interested in things like medical coverage and the absolute most interested in good medical/emergency evacuation coverage and a 24-hour assistance hotline. because i tend to travel on the cheap and don't carry much of value with me, i don't worry too much about loss of valuables or luggage, trip delay, and that kind of coverage.

one disclaimer is that i'm an older travel, and my health insurance here at home and my homeowners policies would coverage a lot of those more comprehensive items in something like World Nomads. when i was younger and didn't have any other coverage, i purchased the more comprehensive policy. more expensive but made better sense and value for my situation at the time. hope that help. cheers.

#2 Posted: 9/1/2011 - 00:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Insurance - World Nomads? ... By tatham on 17 May 2010 4 4878 26 Oct 2010
World Nomads Travel Insurance ... By think87 on 5 Mar 2009 53 17580 29 Nov 2012
Why we recommend World Nomads travel insurance ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jun 2013 8 3762 1 Sep 2014
Save 5% off all travel insurance policies with World Nomads ... By somtam2000 on 12 May 2006 13 9001 12 Nov 2010
really recomend world nomads ... By danielpacheta on 22 Mar 2011 0 3077 22 Mar 2011
World Escapade Insurance ... By Indoluso on 5 May 2010 41 12028 1 Jul 2011
discount voucher code for world nomad travel insurance ... By tinacrossman on 25 May 2012 1 2982 26 May 2012