Insurance forum

Visa Gold Card Travel Insurance

• pauly

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

Do many people use Visa Gold travel insurance and how do you find it?Sounds to good to be true.Complementary travel insurance with the purchase of your ticket using Vosa Gold.

#1 Posted: 9/2/2007 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• GussieG

Joined Travelfish
    9th September, 2006

You need to check the smallprint very carefully. A lot of "complimentary" insurance only covers you for travel accidents, not medical bills, loss of baggage etc. Do you pay an annual fee for the card? If not, chances are it's very minimal cover, and you'd be wise to take out proper travel insurance.

#2 Posted: 9/2/2007 - 16:31

• pauly

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

Thankyou for your reply.The Commonwealth Bank(Australia) has a lengthy and specific handbook that does spell out entitlements as does their website.I wondered what personal experiences people may have had being a non trusting cynical person.There was also some cost involved by paying with card rather than cash.Thanks again though.

#3 Posted: 9/2/2007 - 17:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

On one of my more recent trips to Vietnam I used a CBA Mastercard rather than travellers cheques or cash (what I normally use). My three weeks there incurred over A$200 in bank fees for overseas purchases and cash advances. Never again.

While I can't comment on their travel insurance, the fees and charges on my card (not sure if we're on the same programme) were absolutely outrageous.

#4 Posted: 9/2/2007 - 18:49

• pauly

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

I have heard the same thing.I was going to use some cash and cheques but hope to rely on my Meastro Keycard for cash advances.My Visa Gold would only be used for hotel bills and train fares.After talking to the bank people it seems the way to go.I'll let you know.

#5 Posted: 10/2/2007 - 15:06

• jo8034

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Just adding on the above. Try a Wizard Mastercard. It is a "no frills credit card" and does not have any reward program attached. They have no foreign cash advance fees and we travelled to Europe with it last year. Found it excellent. Also no fees for obtaining cash from ATM's. I work for another Australian Bank and have found that this is the best credit card in terms of fees etc. Found out about it on one of the Aussie current affairs programs.

We also travel with a Visa Gold Card and generally only use this as a last resort whilst overseas, due to the fees involved.

#6 Posted: 12/2/2007 - 13:41

• jo8034

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2007
    Total reviews: 6

Sorry forgot something. You will be also charged approx $6.00 AUS per debit on your keycard. You can put the mastercard into credit and this way use your own funds without incurring any fees. If you have any more questions feel free to ask.

#7 Posted: 12/2/2007 - 13:44

• pythagnz

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2005
    Total reviews: 12

I have used Visa Gold Card complimentary insurance twice. Last year I had a two week holiday in Australia and in Oct-Nov 2005 I used it for a 6-week trip around Thailand. I didn't need to make a claim so can't comment on that aspect of it.

I did check the policy carefully and compared it to other travel insurance offers. It seemed comprehensive and more or less the same as other policies. You can include partners.

The rules say you must pay for at least half your pre-arranged travel costs using the Visa. When I went to Thailand I used airpoints and paid for my accommodation as I went so I had very few pre-travel costs. The bank said so long as I used any ANZ card (not necessarily the Visa) then I was ok. So, I used my debit card to withdraw cash once a week or so. This was very convenient as there are ATMs everywhere in Thailand. And it is cheaper than a cash advance on a credit card. The charges were NZ$5 then but now NZ$7.50 - could be a bit high if you are doing it frequently.

I suppose if you are in Australia the rules might be slightly different. And I think there is a version of the complimentary travel insurance where they offer a very basic package. It pays to check with your bank that you have met the requirements to be covered before you go.

#8 Posted: 12/2/2007 - 13:45

• pauly

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

Dear Jo 8034.I mentioned at the bank(Commonwealth) that I wanted to put my Visa Credit Card into the black and was told that they were not desighned for that purpose.Puting the card into a positive balance still may be the way to go.She also told me that mistakes could be made when people did this.Thanks for the tip though.

#9 Posted: 12/2/2007 - 16:03

• pauly

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2007

Dear pythagnz,yes the insurance does seem comprehensive and I think i'll go with it.I paid for our entire trip with the card so there should not be a problem there.We will be going to Thailand first then Vietnam and Cambodia.Thanks for the tip about cash advances on credid cards,i'd heard it was expensive.

#10 Posted: 12/2/2007 - 16:10

• Advertisement

• tristan99

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009
    Total reviews: 7

hey all - i'm planning a 13 week trip to SE Asia in March 2010 with my wife - we too used the visa gold card to buy our tickets, after reading the policy and then phoning Allianz (who actually provide the insurance - to HSBC cardholders anyway) to verify the missing parts i agree that it sounds pretty good. We're going to stick with that unless i learn otherwise.
    The only thing i could see that it didn't include was cover for things like accidental death, loss of limbs etc. but covered all the routine stuff like hospital/evactuation - covered scuba, covered baggage, lost items (incl. cash) etc.

#11 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 16:02

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Tristan,

I went on a 2 week holiday to Fiji at the beginning of this year, and relied on my Gold Mastercard for insurance. A severe tropical storm hit Fiji and we were stuck on an outer island for an extra 3 days.

We were definitely not backpacking on this trip so accommodation costs were high, plus it was peak Xmas time - so I was worried about whether or not we would be paid out on our claim for expenses due to the delay.

The hotel wrote a letter for our insurance company explaining that we couldn't leave the island. We claimed the hotel, food, internet and phone costs, plus additional airfare costs. BNZ Mastercard paid the entire claim without question. Wahoo!

Just a word of warning though - I think my card is only good for a trip that is no longer than 45 days. Check your policy carefully as you might find that 13 weeks will not be accepted. (You could use them for the first xx weeks, then purchase a Nomads policy for the rest....)

#12 Posted: 25/11/2009 - 17:13

• tristan99

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009

Thanks for that Lizzy.
    I just had another look at the policy and it says it covers 4 months of overseas travel, so that should be okay. I need to have a closer look at exclusions etc.
    (Correction to my post - insurance is actually provided by Zurich - and it's a Mastercard, not Visa)

One other - has anyone ever had to think about insurance for an item that you don't have proof of purchase for? My wife has a very nice SLR camera that she bought second hand which we'll be taking. One person has suggested taking photos, serial numbers etc. and possibly having a camera store verify the model/value etc.
    Anyone got any advice?

#13 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 07:48

• tristan99

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2009

sorry - it is a visa

#14 Posted: 26/11/2009 - 07:51

• daisymax

Joined Travelfish
    15th September, 2010

Are you a more detailed picture of spending with credit cards and customize a budgets.create your monthly personal spending categories to monitor and manage alarms you.et what is important, and then as soon as possible to inform potential unauthorized use of your card Credit alerts via email or message online.

#15 Posted: 15/9/2010 - 16:25

• kevin808

Joined Travelfish
    27th November, 2010

Yes, I do have one. I've been using this for 5 years. And to be honest, it has helped me especially with convenience.

#16 Posted: 27/11/2010 - 09:34

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Hostelworld.com Gold Card Member Number ... By goddessrel on 1 Nov 2006 0 4208 1 Nov 2006