Insurance forum

Nasty Little Insurance Exclusions

• jaizan

Joined Travelfish
    16th November, 2009

I notice most of these annual travel insurance policies offer no cover for being a passenger on a motorcycle.

So if you go to Phnom Penh, Bangkok or wherever & get on one of their motorcycle taxis, then if the worst happens, as I read it your medical cover is invalid.

This is going to be very inconvenient.

#1 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 15:34

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Likewise you probably won't get cover if you are the operator of a motorbike - unless you hire from a 'licensed' operator (what exactly is that in SEA??) AND follow local road rules (ie are licensed locally, presumably).

In NZ, I am allowed to ride a scooter under 100cc without a licence, but that rule doesn't apply anywhere in SEA as far as I know, therefore I am not following local rules and would not be covered.

It's a calculated risk that we choose take if hiring / riding a bike - in more ways than one.

#2 Posted: 29/11/2011 - 17:18

• kiwigazza

Joined Travelfish
    21st July, 2008
    Total reviews: 3

Also watch out for the 'not following the advice of your government travel warnings' for example is currently all areas around the thailand/cambodia/myanmar borders....and until 29th of Nov was all the provinces affected by the flooding which seems ridiculous to me

For a kiwi anyway www.safetravel.co.nz

#3 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 03:20

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Government warnings are so ridiculous!! I received this just the other week from the NZ-based US consulate:

"The Department of State warns U.S. citizens residing in or traveling to the South Pacific region about the ongoing threat of cyclones originating in the area. The region covered by this alert includes Australia, Fiji, Kiribati, the Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Zealand, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, the Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, and Vanuatu, as well as the territories of French Polynesia, New Caledonia, and Wallis and Futuna islands"

This warning expires in Apr 2012! It's quite a long email telling the risks associated with cyclones, and how travellers could be affected, etc. Now if I was a naive traveller, I'd be tempted to avoid New Zealand, cancel my travel plans.etc for the next 6 months. OK, so it's been raining for the last few days. But a warning?! What a load of rot!

Having said that, I did get 'stuck' in Fiji a few years ago because of a small cyclone. Insurance happily paid out for the extra accom and change of flight costs. Maybe not that a warning has been issued they wouldn't pay if it happened again.

Government warnings are generally over-cautious and it just gives the insurance companies another opportunity to avoid paying out. They might as well put out a blanket world-wide warning warning us of earthquakes. Or to warn that it's dangerous to cross the road and that pickpockets may be active in the area. :-/

#4 Posted: 14/12/2011 - 03:56

• akonsouth

Joined Travelfish
    16th December, 2011

however we should think positive but any natural power can make a great problem so we should have the insurance this is a good post.....

#5 Posted: 16/12/2011 - 06:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.