Insurance forum

Will US Health Insurance cover me?

• Criggy

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2012

Hi,
    I'm planning a 9week trip around SEA next months... I've phoned my insurance provider here in the USA (Aetna) and have spoken at length with someone there... They insist that I have the most comprehensive medical cover (arranged through my fathers' employer) that will cover me for medical expenses whilst abroad... I asked about re-patriation to the USA, motorbike coverage etc... The lady seemed adament that I'd be covered... Since i'm not planning on taking anything that I would cry about if it were lost or stolen (plus the excess would probably be hundreds of dollars anyway...) i'm considering going WITHOUT additional insurance (since medical coverage would be the main thing i'd want it for...)
    The thought of doing this makes me pretty nervous... I can imagine getting into trouble and then my USA insurance deciding to change their minds... I'm planning on motorbiking for the majority of my trip too, so I wouldn't be insane enough to go without any coverage at all...

Does anyone have any experience of travelling from the USA with medical insurance? I'm expecting a letter through the post in the next few days confirming everything the lady on the phone told me, but i'm still uneasy....

Would appreciate any advice on this,

-Chris

#1 Posted: 22/2/2012 - 09:51

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Since there are all kinds of health insurance available in the US there are all kinds of answers to your question. My state provided health insurance definitely didn't cover me while abroad, but it sounds like you have some serious private health care, and if they send you a letter with their letterhead confirming that you will be covered in SE Asia then, well, that would be good enough for me.

If you want to get down to the nitty gritty ask them to send you the complete terms and conditions of your policy, read it over, and call or write them about whatever you find to be lacking in regards to your specific travel plans... Unless you record them actually saying they'll cover a certain type of accident, they may not be obliged to do so if your plan doesn't specifically cover it as it's written. A lot of travel insurance doesn't even cover motorbiking accidents at all so if they're willing to tell you over the phone they'll cover that then you might ask them to write specifically that they will cover that in specific countries (or "any" country abroad). If they agree to that then it's as good as gold. Also bear in mind that if you don't have a motorcycle license in the US that could make a difference as to whether or not they cover a motorcycling accident abroad.

#2 Posted: 23/2/2012 - 01:33

• iambabo

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012

I asked my insurance broker the same thing and her reply was, "Like any plan you have emergency only."

#3 Posted: 6/4/2012 - 14:55

• mcfly

Joined Travelfish
    29th April, 2012

I called my insurance company, covered for any emergancy. I also have some coverage with the credit card that the flight was booked on, but really it isn't much coverage. I am now looking at travel insurance too.

#4 Posted: 29/4/2012 - 17:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

And for non-emergency stuff, health care here is easy and cheap. Not the goat screw it is back in the US. You go to the doctor, he treat you, you walk to the counter and it's cheap. I got stiched up at the and got a round of anti-biotics to go with it and it was 100 baht at the public hospital.

#5 Posted: 30/4/2012 - 08:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Insurance to Cover Motorbiking without Bike Licence in Home Country ... By StephJayne165 on 14 Aug 2012 2 2497 20 Dec 2012
Long term health insurance ... By UsTwo on 9 Dec 2013 3 652 10 Dec 2013
International Health Insurance for US Citizens ... By seasquared on 29 Nov 2012 5 2436 30 May 2013