Insurance forum

baggage insurance

• elysek

Joined Travelfish
    22nd May, 2012

I will be in southeast asia for 6 weeks in July and August. I am already covered for medical, although I have been looking into baggage coverage. I will be taking my fairly new DSLR camera, and also my iPhone (both of which I plan on having on my most of the time). I will also have a new backpack, as well as obviously all my travel documents which would add up if I needed to replace them. My camera is over $1000, which I am finding is a value not normally covered so I might have to settle for only partial coverage. Any recommendations on whether it is worth it to get coverage for my belongings and which companies offer the best rates (Im canadian). Also, please no snarky remarks about bringing expensive items. I am a photography student, and wouldn't dare not bringing along my camera on a trip like this. Thank you!

#1 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 15:44

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The question about whether or not it is worth getting coverage is determined by whether or not you can afford to cover (or forfeit) the cost of a replacement if the worst happens. Think through the worst case: the camera gear is stolen or dropped overboard on a boat. How much will the insurance company pay out and how much is a new one? Are you prepared to pay the difference? Now compare that difference to the what you would have to pay to cover the cost of taking extra insurance to cover specific items. Can you afford to take the risk of having to pay that difference, or do you pay more now upfront to cover that risk?

Check with the insurance company, too, about how they define the value of a camera. Is the body one item up to $1000, and the lens another item worth up to $1000 (ie a total of $2k)? Or is it a combined value?

I've carried a DSLR, two lenses, netbook plus small point and shoot on several trips and have never lost a thing. But I'm careful and sensible. I always lock gear up in my back in the room when I don't need it while out and about, and NEVER leave it lying around in the room. Sames goes with cables, etc that advertise the fact that I have gear. And when in transit, I ALWAYS carry it in my daypack which it with me at all times.

#2 Posted: 24/6/2012 - 19:47

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

You must keep most of your handy gadgets, your camera phone and documents in your hand carry. i agree with busylizzy, you must NEVER leave it alone. Even if replaced, the pictures cannot be replaced. nothing is as good as the original. Then i suppose you wouldn't really be requiring insurance for these items:)

#3 Posted: 29/6/2012 - 04:56

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I found a company based in Canada that I will use during my next trip, instead of nomads, as I was not happy with them. They are Securiglobe.com.

#4 Posted: 30/6/2012 - 12:47

• Ann80

Joined Travelfish
    18th June, 2012

How much do Securiglobe quote for baggage insurance? Has anyone you know recommended these brokers ?

#5 Posted: 2/7/2012 - 04:44

• naikman

Joined Travelfish
    26th September, 2012
    Location Australia

I know this is an old thread but this is a very important note regarding insurance.

As Ann80 noted you must keep these expensive personal items with you at all times. I was insured by a company called 1Cover in Australia and had my iPhone stolen from a locked bag within the baggage compartment of a bus while traveling in Cambodia. There were employees sitting in the baggage compartment and they must have stuck their hand within the crack in the zipper of my bag that opens before the zip is stopped by the lock that was on it.

When claiming for the stolen iPhone I was advised that their is a loophole for 1Cover that doesn't allow you to claim for personal electronic items stolen within a baggage compartment. Only when stolen when the items are in your possession.

The bus was a sleeper bus and after a very uncomfortable 3 hours on the bus I moved my backpack from with me on the bus down to the baggage compartment. So be extremely careful to read the terms and conditions of your insurance as this condition which may appear on many insurance companies terms and conditions. They will weasel their way out of anything these slimy companies.

#6 Posted: 20/6/2013 - 00:53

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

I'm not sure, but I think travel insurance plan also cover baggage lost. Correct me if I am wrong.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 06:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.