Insurance forum

Travel Insurance to Cover Motorbiking without Bike Licence in Home Country

  • StephJayne1-

    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2011
    Posts: 14


    Wondering if anybody can give me some advice as to whether there are any insurance companies out there who will cover you for any accidents etc. when riding a motorbike. I have a UK car licence, but this doesn't cover bikes. I want to do a few tours whilst in Asia, but obvioulsy I would prefer to be covered for this. I do have time to do my CBT before I go, if this will make any difference? Also, will most insurance companies cover for travel on a motorbike as a passenger?

    If anyone can give any advice/point me in the right direction that would be great!

    Also any other tips you guys have when it comes to picking insurance

    #1 Posted: 14/8/2012 - 07:00

  • Advertisement

  • Nokka

    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Posts: 259

    I looked into this earlier this year and could find no insurer will cover you if you have no license. A car license in the UK is not sufficient. Years ago, when I had a motorbike, it was possible to ride bikes up to, I think, 250cc with a car license so long as you displayed Learner plates. That is no longer the case and now everybody on a bike needs to have done CBT. (Actually I think you may be OK up to 50cc still, though doubt you'd tour far like that).

    I reckon the vast majority of tourists are unaware of this and think they are covered. The islands especially can be overrun with inexperienced riders and accidents are frequent. If you plan to do a lot of riding do the CBT.

    I believe you are covered as a passenger ONLY if the driver has a license. As with all things - read the small print.

    #2 Posted: 15/8/2012 - 03:13

  • travellings-

    TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Posts: 679
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Nokka is spot on. You have to have a license to be insured for an accident on a motorbike. Given the potential high cost of after-care for a bad accident (potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars) insurance companies are hardly likely to insure someone without a license. My UK license covers me up to 50cc, but that rule was phased out a while ago so not all licenses do. And as Nokka says - 50cc isn't great for anything other than in town driving anyway. Now I have a Vietnamese license but unfortunately that's not feasible for a tourist to get - I don't know about in other countries.

    CBT - just check with your insurer that it's accepted as it isn't actually marked on your license as far as I know. It should be acceptable but never assume anything with insurance companies.

    As for being a passenger, if they are foreign and you admit they were driving then yes, they must have a license, but if they are local (like a motorbike taxi) that could be a muddy area.

    #3 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 02:58

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Will US Health Insurance cover me? ... By Criggy on 22 Feb 2012 4 4791 30 Apr 2012
Motorbiking in Asia do a tour or buy a bike? ... By asiabiker on 10 Aug 2009 6 2651 14 Aug 2009
Best country to buy a bike in South Asia ? ... By Wink on 25 Aug 2014 7 2124 22 Dec 2014
Insurance without home coverage? ... By cheeco on 21 Jun 2009 4 4584 22 Feb 2011