Insurance forum

Travel Insurance

• shaolindoman

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2007

So does everyone here recommend the World Nomads travel insurance. I leave next Wednesday morning so I'm trying to get this straightened out today or tomorrow. The lady at the travel clinic I received my vaccines from recommended getting some sort of "evacuation insurance" as well. She said it runs about 50 bucks and most scuba divers (which I am not) are familiar with it. It lets you be airlifted of a country in case of trouble (which I don't suspect will be the case at all). I plan to travel through Thailand, Laos, and Vietnam. What do you guys suggest or has anyone had any experience with this sort of thing? Also, I do plan to train in Muy Thai for a week and looking over the World Nomads insurance it looks as if full contact sports are not covered. Thanks for any help.

#1 Posted: 9/5/2007 - 03:29

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hey shao,

when we checked out world nomads we thought the coverage offered was good value for money. the policies seem particularly well-suited for backpacker travel. we've also seen feedback from other people that they are good about honoring claims, which is the most important part i imagine.

have you purchased your policy already? what types of coverage is most important to you? for us we weren't so worried about insuring our stuff as we were with good medical and emergency evac coverage.

#2 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 08:24

• shaolindoman

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2007

As for my stuff, I could careless about that. The only thing I would hate to lose would be my memory card inside of my camera (because I want my pictures!!!). Other than that I am basically taking nothing of value. My main concern is medical and evacuation in case of an emergency. I've been in a bind before here in the states with the medical system and most insurance companies here are about worthless. And I have "decent" (compared to most people I know) health insurance from my employer. If they honor the medical claims, that is the most important thing for me.

#3 Posted: 10/5/2007 - 19:01

• iwillfly525

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5

I've used Wold Nomads before. I had my claim turned down. I was in a car accident about two weeks before I bought both my plane ticket and travel insurance. As the car wreck was about 5 months before i was going to travel and the dr told me I'd me fine in a few weeks i went ahead and made travel plans. it was turned down because i had to cancel my trip due to a pre-existing condtion. (which is says in the fine print and it didn't matter that I thought i'd be able to travel at the time i bought the insurance) however, i did get great customer service from them. they do offer good medical coverage accourding to their plans (i've never had to use it, so i cant say first hand if its good or not.)

#4 Posted: 12/5/2007 - 13:27

• M_adz

Joined Travelfish
    11th June, 2009

Hi!

ive been checking out travel insurance for my partner and I for our trip in July and itrek seemed like a good price for a couple. has anyone used them??

#5 Posted: 12/6/2009 - 12:19

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

To all,

I'm in Australia and I found that I can get equal or better insurance for between a third and half the price offered by World Nomads.

I searched the net on google under 'travel insurance'.

Like always, it's up to you to do your homework.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 13/6/2009 - 09:46

• bradmcfc81

Click here to learn more about bradmcfc81
    Joined Travelfish
    21st June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Agree with Bruce on this one. In my opinion, World Nomads are a rip off. Just because they ADVERTISE on here, doesn't make them any good!

Shop around, and hunt out a deal. STA, for example, offer better cover than Nomads, and at a much better price.

#7 Posted: 17/8/2010 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.