Insurance forum

Travel Insurance for Americans

• katieroseda-
    wson

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2012

I am an American traveling to Southeast Asia for 2 months and I am covered under my parents health insurance, but it doesn't apply in the countries I will be visiting.

Most of the blogs that I have visited recommend World Nomads, but I am worried to trust some sites because they advertise that insurance company. Can anyone honestly recommend a company?

I also could add international insurance to my existing plan, but that won't include lost baggage and other travel related issues.

What is the best way to get covered?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 18/12/2012 - 11:35

• Advertisement

• StephenMoore

Joined Travelfish
    14th December, 2012

Hello all,

Americans travel to hundreds of different international destinations every year. When you travel, you might be outside the coverage area of your current insurance or need additional kinds of coverage. There are many different types of coverage that can make your travel safer, including travel medical insurance, evacuation insurance and trip cancellation insurance.

Thanks a lot
    Stephen Moore

#2 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 04:22

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yup World Nomads is an advertiser on TF and is the travel insurance company we recommend -- I recommend them as they are the company I use, every time I travel.

They're not for everyone though and their policies are not the cheapest out there, but if they fit with your budget, I think they are a good choice.

It also depends on what you want the cover for. I get it primarily for medical/air evec should I be involved in a serious accident -- not for the theft stuff.

#3 Posted: 20/12/2012 - 17:20

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.