Insurance forum

Question about insurance for US citizens

  • mattocmd

    Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States
    Posts: 365


    My question is for fellow Americans, as rules/laws regarding insurance probably vary by country.

    I'm traveling in a couple of weeks to SE Asia and will stay for a month. I'm going to bring my new Mac Book Air, camera gear worth around $1500, $1500 in cash and some other items of value. I'm going to Burma so I have to carry such a wad of cash around with me. I stay in low-end guesthouses and last time I was always worried that I'd come back to my room and would be missing my camera lenses, computer etc...

    What's the best kind of insurance to get. I always get World Nomads, and I'll do so again; however, it only covers up to $500 in personal property.

    I live with family at the moment, so I'm wondering if I'd be better off buying a renter's insurance policy. I've been doing research about renter's insurance and it seems that most policies cover your personal property while traveling. The only drawback is that the policies I've found are at minimum a term of one year.

    Are there other options besides that? Does anyone know of companies that offer policies that are specifically for covering personal property while abroad?

    #1 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 21:27

  • Advertisement

  • DLuek

    TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Posts: 1108
    Total reviews: 14


    World Nomads does cover $500 in personal property but that does not include electronics (including camera gear) or cash.

    I'm American and when I went off to travel almost two years ago with pretty much exactly the same line up of valuables you mention, I bought a policy through STA ( I can't now recall the name of their partner insurance company, but it was only marginally more expensive than World Nomads and covered up to $2,500 in personal property, including electronics and cash (I called three different customer service reps to verify this). Thankfully, I never needed to file a claim so can't comment on how that process would go, but I know you need all original receipts for the valuables and a police report in the area where they were lost/stolen for a successful claim. It's also a good idea to take pictures of all the valuables you're traveling with.

    No idea about the renter's insurance.

    #2 Posted: 5/6/2013 - 23:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
International Health Insurance for US Citizens ... By seasquared on 29 Nov 2012 5 4020 30 May 2013
One way travel insurance question ... By gabsey on 23 Aug 2009 3 5247 4 Aug 2010