Insurance forum

Insurance covering cancelled flights -- when to start policy?

• jonahgn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2014

Hi,

This may be a stupid question: I want to make sure my traveler's insurance is effective in case my flight/trip is cancelled. I know its recommended to buy insurance when you buy the flight ticket.

But when I get insurance on a site like World Nomads, it asked to choose a Policy Start date. If I set the start date for when I fly -- will I be covered? Or do I have to set the policy start date for the day I buy my plane ticket?

For instance, what if my trip is cancelled weeks before my Policy starts?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 14:02

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

most travel insurance policies that include this type of coverage require you to buy the policy within a certain number of days from when you've purchased your flights or other major ticket items. in my experience, the way they work is that you purchase the policy based on the up-front cost of your flights and other major ticket items that you are insuring (usually with a variable deductible that you choose when you purchase), but that the policy dates start when your trip starts and end when your trip ends. make sense?

have a nosey around the websites of a few different companies and maybe even use their toll-free phone number or online help to ask how each company specifically handles this. besides the comprehensive style travel policy you mentioned, there are lots of other options, including medical only policies. i typically buy the medical only, as it includes medical evacuation, which is the most important thing to me. these medical policies don't include many of the other features, but they are a lot cheaper than comprehensive policies and still give me the coverage and piece of mind i need when travelling.

i'd be interested to hear back about what you learn, which policy you choose, how much it cost, etc. best wishes.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 15:54

• jonahgn

Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2014

Thanks! Very helpful.

After some digging, here is what I found on the World Nomads plan regarding coverage of trip cancellation:

Effective Date:
    After any required Enrollment Form is
    completed, Trip Cancellation coverage will be effective for
    an Insured at 12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the date
    following receipt by the Company or the Company’s
    authorized representative of any required plan cost.
    All other coverage will begin on the later of:
    (a) 12:01 a.m. Standard Time on the scheduled Departure
    Date shown on the travel documents; or
    (b) the date and time the Insured starts his/her Trip,
    provided any required plan cost has been paid.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 16:29

• atraveltour-
    ist

Joined Travelfish
    16th January, 2014

I would probably use a comparison site to find a policy that covered me from when I purchased the tickets and if I wasn't sure of the fine print which all these companies seem to have lots of I would firstly ring and ask to speak to someone to make sure that what I wanted was what I was getting.

#4 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 20:31

• Lola56

Joined Travelfish
    9th January, 2014

I had this query too, I checked with my company and they said that when you buy a single trip policy (like backpacker insurance), the cover starts from the day you pay, but the actual start date of the policy should be the day you leave the UK. I hope that helps! Have a great trip.

#5 Posted: 29/1/2014 - 10:56

• MarcP

Joined Travelfish
    25th June, 2014

Just in case of flight delays or cancellations, do you know that you could claim for with some 'no win, no fee' company?

#6 Posted: 25/6/2014 - 05:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.