Insurance forum

Should I get more Insurance

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

So I contacted my extended health care and they said this is what they will cover:

"Coverage is provided for unforeseen emergency treatments which could not have been reasonably anticipated, while traveling for business, vacation, or education. Benefits are limited to your initial treatment and one follow-up visit only."

Includes:
    - $1,000,000.00 for out of country services
    - 100% coverage for a hospital stay in a semi-private room
    - 100% for emergency room or outpatient fees, doctor's fees, x-rays or lab fees related to the initial emergence treatment, as well as ambulance fees.
    - In case of an emergency, you or someone can call the 24-hour number on your card and they will arrange appropriate medical care, confirm coverage, and provide necessary travel assistance.

That's pretty much all they said. I know it is purely medical coverage, so no personal affects, flight, etc. But as far as medical coverage, is it bare minimum? Should I consider more?

And if I don't get more coverage, is there any kind of insurance that is everything except medical so that I can fill in the gaps that this misses?

I live in Canada as well.

#1 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 03:51

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I'm far from an expert on insurance, but the medical coverage seems just as good (if not better) than with a relatively inexpensive travel medical insurance policy. A few things I don't see are a) coverage for a flight for a loved one to join you at bedside in the case of emergency, b) coverage for a flight for you to go home should an immediate family member pass away while you're abroad, and c) repatriation of remains in the highly unlikely event of the worst happening. If you want to see exactly what you might be missing out on by not having a specific travel insurance policy, just go to a travel insurance website like worldnomads.com, type in your info and you'll see an overview of what's covered.

It might also be good to ask for some clarity on "reasonably anticipated". Would medical emergencies occurring from things like motorbiking (if you plan to do so) or even riding in an open-air tuk-tuk fall under "reasonably anticipated"? If I were you I might try to feel out how the company views countries that it might not deem to be as safe as your country.

I generally only purchase travel insurance for the medical coverage, but of course there are all kinds of plans that cover things like lost or stolen bags, cancelled flights, etc. Certainly not a necessity but a lot of travelers like the extras for peace of mind.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2014 - 06:26

• SoloGirls

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

Thanks. I have checked out world nomads. I noticed that they have 5 million. This seems like a huge difference. I know medical costs can add up quickly!

I'll definitely ask them these questions that you mentioned as well.

I'm not too worried about flight cancelations. And the more I think of it, I start becoming less worried about my stuff. I mean I definitely don't want to lost or stolen, but I also don't want to go into panic mode over it.

#3 Posted: 11/2/2014 - 03:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.