Insurance forum

Travel Insurance help!

• MishaH

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my first trip around Asia for three months this year and I need travel Insurance.

I'm not really sure where to start, because I want cover for my IPhone and I also might stay a bit longer.

Any ideas or advice would be a huge help!

#1 Posted: 21/2/2014 - 11:14

• Advertisement

• gauravks

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2013
    Location India

Travel insurance is the best way to make your trip safer and better. Travel insurance policy covers medical expenses, cancellation of flight, and loss or damage of personal property during overseas trip. So its better to travel with overseas travel insurance policy. Good Luck!

#2 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 02:07

• MishaH

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Thanks for the advice! I know I definitely should get travel insurance, just not sure which company to go with.

Has anyone used a company they would recommend?

#3 Posted: 26/2/2014 - 02:21

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 34

Travelfish recommend World Nomads insurance - they're not the cheapest, but they are apparently good.

In terms of which other companies are recommended, it's going to vary depending on your home country.... I'd suggest you go to one of those price comparison sites to get an idea of the main providers (and prices) in your area, then do a google search for reviews of those companies (assuming the comparison site doesn't already include reviews). Take all reviews with a pinch of salt, though - one angry customer doesn't necessarily mean a company is crap.

Finally, ensure you check exactly what's covered - will they cover you to drive a motorbike? Ride on the back of one (moto taxis)? Some policies have limitations based upon the size of the bike's engine (although I've never yet seen a big-ass Harley being used by a moto dop, so it's probably not much of an issue in Asia). Are you covered for diving or other adventure sports? What's the valuables and single item limit (to ensure your phone is covered).

Have fun!

#4 Posted: 27/2/2014 - 00:44

• MishaH

Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the advice! I really appreciate it.

I got myself in gear over the weekend and ended up buying insurance from Holidaysafe.co.uk after a Google search. Their price was really good and I bought the Long Stay insurance, which includes cover for my gadgets (yay).

I gave them a call (UK call centre thank god!), and they said I can also extend my trip at any time, plus add activities etc.

Thanks again :)

#5 Posted: 11/3/2014 - 06:01

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.