Insurance forum

SE Asia Travel Insurance

• leosuc

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2007

I am satrting my 6 months trip in SE Asia in a week and I am looking for the best - at reasonable price - Insurance. I know the website recomends a few but do you recomend one in particular? Have you used them and they work in all the countries?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 23/1/2008 - 00:01

• Advertisement

• Guernseystu

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2007

I've never used travel insurance and never intend to either as I see it as yet another unnecessary expense.

This is an honest question that you might want to ask yourself; Why do you feel that you need it?

#2 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 00:33

• mick110971

Joined Travelfish
    2nd August, 2006
    Total reviews: 3

Hi
    I think travel insurance is a must.Last year we had a scooter crash and my partner had to be taken to hospital for surgery total bill was approx $18,000 aus. the insurance company was called Cover One and cost $200 aus for both of us for the month so it was well worth it.
    The insurance company were fantastic 2 phone calls was all that was needed and they covered everything i highly recommend them and i found them on the net.
    Cheers

#3 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 06:43

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I've used World Nomads on numerous occasions, though have never had to make a claim with them. I'd disagree with #2's comment above, and would say that travel insurance runs a close second to an air ticket. While it's true that chances are you'll not have any problems, if you do, travel insurance pays for itself in a very short period of time.

#4 Posted: 25/1/2008 - 15:10

• stik86

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2011

Agree bout getting insurance for sure!
    I always go with http://scti.com.au/ although have never needed to claim anything they are cheap and Australian and covers most of south east asia

#5 Posted: 11/12/2011 - 23:04

• Chooktooth

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2011

One of the travel insurance company's slogans is 'if you can't afford travel insurance, you can't afford to travel'. I can only hope that Guernseystu is being very sarcastic.

I spent a week in a Polish hospital followed by tests in the UK and the bill came to thousands - that is thousands I could not have paid and would have ended my 2 year holiday very early.

I am looking at travel insurance now for my 3 months in SE Asia and am tossing up between Allianz, Columbus and Insure & Go.

#6 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 17:40

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Don't forget that some credit cards (eg the gold ones, and possibly others) include travel insurance if you are only travelling for a short period of time. Mine will cover up to 45 days, but a friend's card will cover up to 60 days. You just have to use the card to book some of your travel (eg flights).

I have relied on this, and gotten a payout on a claim when a cyclone delayed my return home, without any problem. Just check the fineprint to ensure it gives the cover that you expect/want/need.

You would be absolutely &#^@# nuts to travel without travel insurance. You may decide to forego cover on your possessions, flights, etc - but medical cover is a must have.

#7 Posted: 26/1/2012 - 17:56

• micheldsouz-
    a11

Joined Travelfish
    19th January, 2012

Well... These above recommendation might be useful for you but there are several comparison site online that are providing online quotes from different insurer so according to me the best idea is that you should compare all related terms online and get policy from which suite you according to your needs.

#8 Posted: 14/2/2012 - 03:48

• TassieWombat

Click here to learn more about TassieWombat
    Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I have travelled SEA several times always WITH insurance (once had a day trip to hospital in Bangkok, cost $18 so of course did not claim) however in MY opinion Guernseystu (with respect) you our outa your mind !!! :-)

Travel insurance may not be needed... today !! but be cautious, a few $$ spent could save thounsands, and what about your gear/ Cameras, laptops, luggage etc. I don't know about other countries but in Australia our "Biggest" bank (as pre mentioned) gives FREE 6 months cover if you have a Gold card (cost about $150) and FREE 12 months cover with a Platinum card (cost $250 I think). The stipulation is that you MUST spend X $$$ on your card for air fares etc, then insurance is complimentary..... THAT is cheap insurance. But YES check around and do NOT travel without it.. unless you are feeling financially suicidal. :-)

#9 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 00:30

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I agree that travel insurance is a must, but despite having used world nomads 2x, without making a claim I still had a problem with them re: a 2 day extension. 3 months = 285$ - 2 days $77 (actually they wouldn't let me extend 2 days, it had to be a week, which I didn't need) I did not have the option at the beginning to choose 92 days, only 90.

So in the end my last 2 days were not covered because I refused to pay this silly amount. I wrote to then several times, they just stated the rules were.... etc. I told them I would no longer recommend them on travel forums and think twice about using them again, they did not reply. Link below lists some complaints by users:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews102077.html

#10 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 02:40

• Advertisement

• TassieWombat

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

Hi Leosuc.. I guess it depends where you are. I am talking from an Australian point of view re pricing. You would have to check with banks to get a card deal. The other crowd that seems to be cheaper than most is the travel flying crowd that says "they will match any price" (don't want to break rules and advertise..LOL ) I also had a problem with one when they said it would cost almost 50% more for my wife as she is over 70 and I am only a sprightly 68 :-) I think if you type in Travel Insurance in your browser you are SURE safe to find one that will give probably a cheaper quote.... hint hint :-)

#11 Posted: 23/4/2012 - 03:29

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Agree with TassieWombat. It depends where you are, both for classic travel insurance and free travel insurance from your credit card. Seems that Kiwis only get 45 days free cover with their visa cards whereas in France you get 90 days.

World Nomads has wildly different policies and pricing depending on where you live too. If you live in the US you only get a piddling $100,000 for medical expenses whereas if you happen to live in Australia they are overkill generous and will fork out up to $5,000,000.
    Some nationalities have to pay far higher premiums than others and many WN customers won't get fully reimbursed because (very) hefty deductible fees apply to almost all claims on some policies.

I'm not sure why World Nomads are the recommended travel insurance for ALL backpackers by both TF and LP ... unless it's something to do with the fact they are an Australian company and Aussies get a pretty good deal compared to other nationalities?

I've used WN (even though it cost me an arm and a leg compared to Aussie rates) and I even made a small claim once. They partially reimbursed me but used the fact that I'd extended my policy to get out of paying a part of it .... even though I was never without WN insurance for a single nanosecond that whole trip.

World Nomad's "you can extend any time during your trip" hype is something you really need to look at twice at before deciding to use this option. It may sound like a good idea but it could potentially leave you totally uninsured just when you most need cover.

It's essential to realize that you when you "extend" with WNs, you aren't actually extending your original contract, you're buying a totally new insurance policy. (The way WN use the word "extend" on their website is very misleading IMO). There's a huge difference between "extending" an existing policy and buying a new one in terms of the cover you're you're entitled to. A new policy won't cover you for any "pre-existing conditions" that occurred during your previous insurance period. A genuine policy extension would use the start date of the original policy to determine which conditions are pre-existing.

Example.

Suppose you "extend" shortly before your initial policy expires and then have a serious motorbike accident. You haven't been uninsured for a single minute so you're fully covered right?

Wrong.

You're only covered until your initial contract expires. Once the "extension" (new contract) kicks in, your injuries are technically a "pre-existing condition". This could mean that YOU have to foot the bill yourself if medical repatriation or expensive surgery becomes necessary.

Few travel insurance companies allow you to buy travel insurance once you've left home like WN does and if you're traveling for 6 months it does give you the option to start with the free credit card cover. It may or may not be more economical for you to do this. You have to take into account the quality of the cover this combination would provide compared to what an insurance company in your home country can offer. (Insurance companies tend to give better rates to customers based in the same country as them)

But if you do opt for World Nomads it's definitely in your best interests (but not WNs) to buy your travel insurance all in one go rather than "extending" as you travel ... for the reasons mentioned above.

#12 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 06:40

• TassieWombat

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

SBE I thought I would check out World Nomads after reading your post

B******s wont insure me..... too old. NOT funny!!!!!

Quote; If you're 66 years or older at the time your policy or extension starts, unfortunately we're unable to cover your trip.

#13 Posted: 24/4/2012 - 23:16

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

As I said, WN has wildly different policies because they use different underwriters depending on where you live.

eg They insure US citizens up to the age of 67 but the age limit for UK residents is only 60!

I've got a much better deal with ACS ....monthly rate of under 40 euros a month, can travel worldwide up to 12 months, covers more than basics, no deductibles AND you can get one genuine extension of your policy while you're away. (You have to extend more than 14 days before your policy expires to get it though). They also insure people up to the age of 70.

But it does have a few limitations eg no cover for dermatology (does that mean if you get extensive 3rd degree burns in a fire they won't pay for a skin graft?) and rates for residents of France are significantly lower than for anyone else (under 40 euros/month compared to 70 euros for residents of other countries). One size doesn't fit all and the proof of the pudding is how good they are at honoring claims so you need to check user reviews too.

My advice is to first check out travel insurance companies based in your own country and compare what they offer to what WNs or any other "multinational" insurance company offers. And check out other insurance options too...like credit cards...but look carefully at how much they'll fork out if something goes really wrong. My visa card isn't quite generous enough for major incidents and it assumes you'll always have a telephone signal/internet when travelling (you have to contact them within 24 hours) ...but it's better than nothing.

#14 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 05:17

• 9preciousGe-
    ms

Joined Travelfish
    13th January, 2011

nice posts SBE

#15 Posted: 25/4/2012 - 10:29

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

My next trip I will be using http://www.securiglobe.com/en/

#16 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 00:56

• TassieWombat

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

I guess I live in a 'lucky" country because the bank that I use will give 6 months FREE travel insurance if you use a "Gold" credit card to pay for you tickets and 12 months FREE insurance if you use a "Platinum". The cost to upgrade from my "ordinary" card is about $120 and $200 respectively. The Platinum has a few more features such as local plane delay insurance whereas Gold doesn't but there are other benefits which justify the extra bucks. I was worried about age restrictions so checked up and bottom line.... NO restrictions on age. Guess what I will be doing :-)

#17 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 01:08

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

I looked into the credit card option here in Canada, does not work out cheaper in the end.

#18 Posted: 3/7/2012 - 02:26

• TassieWombat

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2012
    Location Australia

altmtl.. I do not know what conditions or fees your banks in Canada place on travel insurance. However for the benefit of Australians here are a few details that they may find useful. The one stipulation is that you must pay for your air fares using your card (fair enough). The costs of cards are $114 gold card giving 3 months cover and $250 for Platinum giving 12 months cover plus interstate flight cover and of course they come with the normal extra card benefits. (Extended warranty on purchases and extra points). The list goes on (as they do) but all in all I can see no reason not to go with this insurer. Actually they are not the end insurer it is covered by Zurich.But it’s free. Or at least the cost of a card !
    BTW. I am not on their payroll LOL it’s just that at my senior age no one else will accommodate me and if they would the costs are astronomical..

Quote:
    Cardholders, their spouses and dependent children become
    eligible for this International Travel Insurance when, before leaving
    Australia on an overseas journey, they have a return overseas travel ticket, and at least:
    (a) A$950 of each of the cardholder’s, spouse’s and dependent
    children’s prepaid travel costs (i.e. costs of the return
    overseas travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or
    prepaid overseas accommodation/travel; and/or other prepaid overseas itinerary items); or
    (b) 90% of each of the cardholder’s, spouse’s and dependent children’s return overseas travel ticket(s); is paid for by one or a combination of the following payment methods:

Charged to the cardholder’s eligible credit card account; or paid for by the redemption of the cardholder’s Awards points through the Awards Program, this excludes points redeemed for Frequent Flyer programs;

Medical and hospital expenses incurred overseas
    Unlimited, except: bed care patient allowance up to A$75 per 24 hours continuous hospital confinement (A$100 for Diamond or Platinum) limited to
    A$7,500 in total (A$10,000 for Diamond or Platinum); and emergency dental treatment of up to A$1,500.
    N.B.: No cover for pre-existing medical conditions, unless prior approval given and administration fee paid

Loss of or damage to business items and personal items The most we will pay for business items is A$3000 per business item.
    The most we will pay for personal items is as follows:
    · baggage, clothing and personal valuables: – A$3,000/item Gold– A$5,000/item Diamond or Platinum;
    · portable electrical equipment and binoculars:– A$3,000/item Gold– A$5,000/item Diamond or Platinum;
    · cameras and associated equipment/accessories:– A$3,000/camera Gold– A$5,000/camera Diamond or Platinum;
    · laptop computers and associated equipment/accessories:– A$3,000 in total Gold– A$5,000 in total Diamond or Platinum;
    · travel documents, travellers cheques, credit cards, cash etc. with amaximum of A$1,000 for a cardholder travelling with their spouseand/or dependent children:– A$500/person;
    · emergency replacement of your clothes and toiletries with a maximum of A$1,000 for a cardholder travelling with their spouse and/or dependent children: A$500/person.
    The total we will pay under this section of cover in each period of insurance is no more than A$10,000 per person
    (A$15,000for Diamond or Platinum) up to a maximum A$20,000 (A$30,000for Diamond or Platinum) for a cardholder travelling with their spouse and/or dependent children.
    Cardholders, their spouses and dependent children become eligible for this International Travel Insurance when, before leaving
    Australia on an overseas journey, they have a return overseas
    travel ticket, and at least:
    (a) A$950 of each of the cardholder’s, spouse’s and dependent
    children’s prepaid travel costs (i.e. costs of the return
    overseas travel ticket; and/or airport/departure taxes; and/or
    prepaid overseas accommodation/travel; and/or other prepaid overseas itinerary items); or
    (b) 90% of each of the cardholder’s, spouse’s and dependent children’s return
    overseas travel ticket(s); is paid for by one or a combination of the following payment methods:
    · charged to the cardholder’s eligible credit card account; or
    · paid for by the redemption of the cardholder’s Commonwealth Awards points through the Commonwealth Awards Program, this excludes points redeemed for Frequent Flyer programs;

Hope this helps some Aussies save a dollar or two.

#19 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 00:08

• altmtl

Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth

Canada's banking/credit cards/cell phone fees are the biggest rip off in the world.

#20 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 05:28

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

And there I thought NZ had that claim to fame!

#21 Posted: 4/7/2012 - 05:35

• frere

Click here to learn more about frere
    Joined Travelfish
    27th September, 2012

Posted from within Vietnam.

i managed 1973-2013 without insurance
    i am not recommending it but it seemed another viewpoint could get a look in. . . . . . my hippie generation was more adventurous; we didn't even have the lonely plonker in our right hand as if it were the modern quran. we got somewhere and walked around and [can you believe it?] we actually talked to other travellers!

frere

#22 Posted: 16/5/2013 - 14:50

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Insurance - SE Asia & Australia...HELP !!! ... By kgroarke on 27 Mar 2011 1 4343 2 Aug 2012