Insurance forum

malaria and travel insurance

• hutcho

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

I dont want to take malarial meds when out in Vietnam and Laos later this year. But travel insurances i have looked at void policies if you dont take suggested medication. How do others who dont take malarial meds get round this? Do you go without travel insurance?

#1 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 00:31

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Well I can understand them not covering you for malaria (which you are very unlikely to get anyway) but I can't see that stopping paying a claim for other unrelated medical conditions or motorbike accidents etc. Are you sure about that? World Nomads paid up last year when I made a claim and I've never ever taken anti-malarials in SE Asia.

#2 Posted: 8/9/2008 - 00:53

• hutcho

Joined Travelfish
    8th September, 2008

I think you are right, the policies will probably only not pay out for related illnesses.

#3 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 04:42

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Malaria medication isn't always recommended for travel to Vietnam -- it depends on where you are going... See our malaria overview for more information.

#4 Posted: 9/9/2008 - 06:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.