admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Stories are just beginning to surface regarding the travel insurance implications of the chaos at Bangkok's airports.

Here's an example at the Sydney Morning Herald, but we expect to read a lot more as increasing numbers of stranded tourists read the small print and find out they are not covered.

Suggest you read the small print -- especially regarding "civil strife" -- which is the exclusion many travel insurance companies will use to get out of paying.

If you are hoping to make a claim -- keep receipts -- every single one of them -- and don't spend wildly on the assumption your travel insurer will pay -- chances are they won't.

On the upside, if you've not left your home country yet, but are looking at a cancelled trip, then you're at least in a better position to get a full refund on the ticket from the airline. If you're stranded in Thailand though, you may well not be able to get a refund on the unused portion of the ticket.

#1 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 08:00

• Advertisement

• amaline

Joined Travelfish
    3rd December, 2008

I checked with World Nomads and this exclusion of coverage also extends to medical expenses (in my policy anyway). So if you are injured in any kind of protest or terrorist act then your medical bills will not be covered by travel insurance! Hardly seems fair and I am not sure what you can do about it other than to be careful but it is something to be aware of.

#2 Posted: 3/12/2008 - 11:11

• gaoxiao

Joined Travelfish
    4th December, 2008

I just called AXA. They refused to pay any refund if I cancel my flight "on my own will", even due to the riot or social unrest. They also said if the flight is canceled by the airline instead, I should ask for refund to the airline. They won't do anything on this. So don't really believe what they write in the policy, they can always change it "on their own will".

#3 Posted: 4/12/2008 - 11:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel insurance for Thailand. ... By marineboy on 2 Dec 2007 6 3465 17 Dec 2007
Best travel insurance for Thailand ... By w33yin on 23 Feb 2008 2 4419 23 Feb 2008
Travel insurance and Thailand - PLEASE READ ... By somtam2000 on 30 Apr 2010 0 3714 30 Apr 2010
travel insurance- not covered for thailand, help! ... By colo32 on 30 Apr 2010 10 2860 24 May 2010
Travel insurance and Thailand May 2010 ... By somtam2000 on 20 May 2010 0 1138 20 May 2010