Insurance forum

World Nomads Travel Insurance

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Hello all,

Planning a SE asia trip this Oct. and am worried about malaria and dengue fever.

I want to purchase travel insur. from WN but only will if they cover these mosquito borne problems as there are my main concern I.e. im not going to be jumping off mountains or carrying any expensive items.

anyone know if they cover these things the mozzies can give us? :-)

thanks

#1 Posted: 5/3/2009 - 15:09

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Well, I think they'll cover you if you get sick -- so I'd assume dengue and malaria would fall under that! I can't imagine they'd say "well you didn't use enough repellent, so we won't pay" but perhaps better to contact them directly to be sure?

#2 Posted: 7/3/2009 - 07:23

• think87

Click here to learn more about think87
    Joined Travelfish
    5th March, 2009
    Location United States

Thanks.

Im just a little over cautious when it comes to certain things :-) I can ride elephants and play with tigers..... but a mosquito sends me for the hills lol

#3 Posted: 7/3/2009 - 07:51

• lia444

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

Another question about World Nomads Insurance. Is there still a 5% discount for travelfish members? I have read this a few places around the site but I'm not sure if it is outdate info.

#4 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 16:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes that's right -- you can get 5% off your insurance by entering "travelfish" in the coupon box on the WorldNomads site. For some legal reason, the discount isn't available for North American residents -- something about not being allowed to offer incentives to flog insurance... I'm not sure of the exact details. But for everyone else, enter "travelfish" and you get 5% off.

#5 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 17:19

• lia444

Joined Travelfish
    8th May, 2009

great - thanks. good thing i'm not american/canadian then :)

#6 Posted: 12/5/2009 - 17:47

• naromekram

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008

Are you being innoculated for malaria?

mark

#7 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 09:54

• christay2009

Joined Travelfish
    8th February, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 4

hey, once i've bought World Nomad insurance...do i just print off a policy thingy? [i have no idea what i'm on about] or do they post something to me?

I've left insurance late. I am abit worried. Thanks

#8 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 02:07

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I just noted down the policy number and contact details (haven't got a printer).

You can join world nomads any time and extend the policy when you're travelling if you like,which is handy if you are a bit vague when you'll be coming back like me.

However, a word of warning about extending.

I claimed for an ear infection once (too much snorkelling) and it didn't clear up so I had to go back to the doctor's the following week just after I'd extended the policy. They didn't reimburse the second doctor's visit as they considered it a "pre-existing condition".

It didn't break the bank having to pay for my treatment out of my pocket but it might have done if the "pre-existing condition" had been something more serious like a bad motorbike accident.

#9 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 04:36

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Chris

If you've already bought a policy, sobeit.

If not, do check out what you are provided by the various insurance providers.

For me in Australia World Nomads is very expensive, and has severe option limitations. But, from the UK, the policy underwriters may offer a different set of options.

As for the 'policy', if you buy on the 'net the provider will send you two docs, the 1 or 2 page policy, and the 'terms & conditions' - both usually in pdf.

I print up the policy and keep it with me. It has the policy number (important if you need to call the insurer for approval to go into hospital, or book a cancelled re-flight etc.) and the applicable telephone numbers (usually free call numbers to call back to the insurer).

Given the length of time you are travelling, you may also consider an annual policy. Over about 30 days of a trip, an annual policy tends to be cheaper.

Be aware that some insurers limit the number of days one can leave from home - some, for example, limit to 30 days.

Nearly all insurers offer a clause that allows reimbursement to home should a family relative be in dire straights. Some insurers put limitations on this.

Also, be aware that some insurers offer cheaper premiums if you exclude high medical cost countries (like the US, Australia & Japan). But, in your case, I think there is a reciprocal arrangement between the UK & Australia such that there are no extra premiums to visit Oz.

Cheers

#10 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 05:55

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Interesting point SBE -- I'd have assumed you would have been covered second time around, so I took a look at the policy and it says (my bold) -- this is for their Australian coverage:

"An extension of cover is not provided for pre-existing medical conditions previously accepted by us in writing and/or for conditions you suffered during the term of your original policy or if you are over 66 years of age at the time of the extension or where we have not been advised of any circumstances that have or may give rise to a claim under your original policy."
    http://www.worldnomads.com/policy_wording.aspx?pid=0fc20863f635401c96c8513eb163b77b

That being the case it seems that with regard to repeat treatments, an extension is really just a new policy that they allow to run from one to the other.

Thanks for the heads up -- as we (and WorldNomads) always say -- read the small print.

Bruce, you've frequently mentioned that you consider WorldNomads to be very expensive -- if you were to share with everyone who you ended up deciding to use it would be a bit more useful. Tks

#11 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 06:46

• swag

Click here to learn more about swag
    Joined Travelfish
    28th March, 2007
    Location Australia

I have been using Covermore for the last five years.Their current quote for 1 week in S.E Asia is $70 for the cover that is 2 above basic.By this I mean there is added cover for delayed flights etc.World Nomad in Aust. for 1 week in S.E.Asia today is $87 aud. The other issue I have with World Nomad is they don't cover for pre existing medical conditions which Covermore does for an added premium.As I have a pre existing m.c.Covermore is the option for me.As always read the policy.
    regards

#12 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 08:06

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

I've just bought a Covermore policy. I previously had a 1-Cover policy. The 1-Cover policy is more flexible, cheaper and preferable.

The reason for the change? My father-in-law is now 91 and we may have to rush back to Australia. The 1-Cover policy only allows payments where the familial relative is up to 84. Covermore has no age restrictions. The 1-Cover policy didn't appear to have trip time limitations as does Covermore. So, all-in-all, one has to make trade-offs.

Just to let you know the differences for a multitrip annual for 2 grey haired ppl (not including US, Japan or Canada):

1-Cover = A$499
    Covermore = A$612 (with motorbike cover & trip length to 45 days as extra's)
    World Nomads = A$1206

Cheers

#13 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 09:12

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Bruce,

Sounds like a good policy that works for you, but aren't you comparing apples and oranges with your price comparison at the end?

World Nomads don't do multi-trip policies, so the $1,206 you quote is for coverage for a single, year-long trip -- a similar policy from Covermore looks like it comes in at $1,750 (a year-long Save More policy with most time in Thailand, with a $100 premium + motorbike cover) -- though it sounds like Swag found something a bit cheaper.

Yes, for someone like yourself who is looking at multiple shortish trips through the year a multi-trip policy is a great deal -- it's a shame Nomads doesn't offer something like that -- but for a year long trip, WN do a pretty good deal.

As an aside, I'd love to know if, with motorbike coverage for passengers, if the driver needs to be licensed. Could be a great escape clause for the insurers -- oh sorry you need to go back to Vinh Long and get a copy of the xe-om's driving license please!

#14 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 13:38

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Don't give them ideas Somtam!

I don't know about you, but my visa card provides medical cover for the first 90 days anyway.

Exclusions include sporting events, civil war and epidemics (eg swine flu) search and rescue and it doesn't cover non urgent conditions.

However it does offer the basics like medical repatriation, flight and living expenses for a relative to come and see you if you're stuck in hospital for over 10 days etc.

Interestingly, the wording (which is in French) doesn't seem to exclude "pre-existing medical conditions" in a blanket manner like World Nomads does. It only excludes events related to a pre-existing condition diagnosed and/or requiring hospital treatment within the last six months.

Also I'm just wondering if an extension on a house insurance/civil liability policy wouldn't be cheaper than buying separate travel insurance if you travel frequently or for long periods?

#15 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 15:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

SBE: Bah I was robbed on a train from Marseille to Nice where the thief slipped my bag out from under my head -- they said I'd left the bad "unattended" ... ok perhaps I had had a few drinks, but I was still alive!

I think the problem with typical household etc insurance is that is doesn't cover you when you really need it in cases like air evacuation.

#16 Posted: 25/8/2009 - 15:52

• BruceMoon

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia

Stuart

Like you , I asked the xe'om question.

Each company that I contacted (typically) said the driver should be licensed.

I then said (words to effect of) "If I ask to see the driver's licence, and he shows me a document totally in Vietnamese hieroglyphics, and I haven't a clue what it says, how can I be covered for the 'license' bit".

In each case, I was told that as long as i asked to be shown the license, and I was shown what I perceived to be the license, then that would suffice. One adviser said that if there was any doubt, my Statutory Declaration that I asked and was shown would be sufficient that I took measures to ensure the driver was licensed.

That said, like you, I'm not sure I can totally trust insurance companies to be scrupulously honest. Sometimes one of their 'assessors' wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, and it becomes a bunfight for everyone concerned that day.

I take your point re: Nomads & year long policy. Nevertheless, when I was taking single trip policies, they were more expensive then.

Your point about apples & oranges is also correct. Some insurance companies offer several options. Covermore has three different levels of cover: at differing prices. Another company may offer only one style of option. Clearly, each company chooses to target particular market niche's. So, it always pays to check the fine print before rejecting one over another, or accepting one as cheap (it may be both cheap and nasty).

SBE

As for additions to house or car insurance... I've explored that here in Oz. I was annoyed that car insurance for a hire car within Oz was bloody expensive, and so sought answers. The companies all flatly refused to allow. Seems they enjoy the fat pickings on holiday car rental insurance. I also tried to get travel insurance as a 'package' to my other insurances to assist in premium reduction. Alas, no deal.

Cheers

#17 Posted: 28/8/2009 - 07:09

• CrankyCarrot

Click here to learn more about CrankyCarrot
    Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hi, I'm enjoying that "cup of tea" TF recommends you drink while reading through the fine print on the travel insurance policy documents. I'm up to about my ninth now.

Anyhow, I'm still deciding what's best for me. I am taking a trip of indeterminate length that could be anything from 3-12 months, so the extension part of the World Nomads insurance offer is tempting for me.

But I cannot for the life of me find out how I'd ballpark what it actually costs to extend these policies - ie If I get an online quote now for 6 months at $357au, can I reasonably assume it will cost that again to renew the policy for another 6 months, halfway through my trip?

Also, if I was already roaming around Asia and I took the plan up mid journey, as opposed to starting it before I leave, would that incur any extra cost?

Anyone done the above?

#18 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 21:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yeah - don't get me started on the fine print.

Can't answer your question, though I assume it is "same again" for another 6 months -- I can run it past WN on Monday and will let you know what they have to say.

/s

#19 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 22:02

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks for the quick reply.

I just have a bad feeling about mixing assumptions with insurance policies.

If you can get an answer from them on Monday, that'd be awesome.

#20 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 22:17

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I can tell you what I paid to extend but I don't know if it would have been cheaper to take out a 5 or 6 month policy.

Oct 4th-Dec 2 105 euros

Extended on December 1st until Jan 31st 89.25 euros (2 months)

Extended Jan 31st to March 13th 62.48 euros (6 weeks)

Extended March 12th to March 27th 22.02 euros (2 weeks)

I extended some more too that trip but that gives you an idea of the relative prices for different periods.

BUT

In spite of having uninterrupted cover (I always extended before the deadline) they refused to reimburse one claim in the middle of my trip.

This is their exact wording:

"Please note that the Otitis was diagnosed on the last day of one insurance period, thus the diagnosis is considered pre-existing and the follow-up visit on the 11th. February will not be covered. Insurance periods are regarded as separate insurances and the injury is therefore considered pre-existing when the new insurance takes effect."

When you extend you get a receipt for the extension it looks like you are extending the original policy... the policy number is exactly the same except for the last two digits and the start date and original purchase date are mentioned.

This is what my 3rd extension certificate looked like.

Extension number: WNXXXXXXXXXXX-04

Starts: October 4, 2007
    Ends: March 27, 2008
    Purchased on: October 3, 2007

Maybe you could run that past WN on Monday too Somtam. Why do they give you a certificate that makes it look like one continuous insurance when it isn't? Personally I think it's very misleading of them.

#21 Posted: 7/8/2010 - 23:43

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

SBE, I remember reading something like what you've described somewhere else in the forums (maybe from you). So if I do go with WN, I know what I'm in for with the whole "pre-existing conditions" clause that trips you up when extending.

The pricing you listed gives me a pretty fair idea of what to expect with cost too, thanks. I thought they might jack up the premiums with extensions, but it looks like they're the same or less than what they'd be if you were just starting a new policy for the same period.

Running a few hypothetical dates through their calculator, the two advantages to getting 1 x 6 month period as opposed to 2 x 3 months are about a 30% discount, and continuous cover for conditions that you didn't have prior to the whole 6 months.

If an unexpected bout of Otitis (wasn't he friends with Milo?) crops up in the first 3 months and then I extend, it's considered pre-existing when extending for the next 3 months and is therefore not covered.

You WERE able to claim for the condition during the first instance of it though, right? Did the reimbursement end up paying for the insurance policy?

#22 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 08:27

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@SBE will run it by Nomads this week.
    @Cranky Milo - LOL

#23 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 09:13

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

"Did the reimbursement end up paying for the insurance policy?"

Of course not! Nowhere near.

The reason I keep going on about this lack of coverage if you extend is because:

a)It could mean you end up paying huge amounts out of your own pocket even though you've bought travel insurance. I knew people who were injured during the tsunami who spent months in hospital afterwards recovering from their injuries. They only got covered up to a certain amount and had to pay tens of thousands of dollars out of their own pocket ... and I'm pretty sure they had WN insurance. I'll contact them and ask exactly why they weren't fully covered if you like.

b)WN use the possibility of extending the policy during the trip as a sales pitch without making the disadvantages of doing this crystal clear.

#24 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 11:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm surprised to hear about the Tsunami victims not being covered. I see part of the policy info for WN says you aren't covered if you blatantly ignore travel warnings from your government and go someplace anyway. Presumably there'd be no such warning PRIOR to a natural disaster occurring.

Didn't see anything about not being insured in the event of an act of God, or something along those lines.

Unless the Tsunami hit, warnings were issued, then people went there anyway and were somehow affected and had to make a claim. Sounds fishy.

I'm mainly concerned about running up some huge medical bill or having my thousand dollar laptop stolen.

#25 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 11:53

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Maybe their insurance policy ran out when they were in hospital and their injuries were considered a "pre-existing condition"?

I'll see if I can contact them and ask...

#26 Posted: 8/8/2010 - 12:20

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I'm sick of reading the fine print on policy documents. I've taken the plunge and gone with World Nomads. I really hope I don't end up with any nasty surprises like you did, SBE, but rest assured you'll hear alllll about it here if I do.

I'll make a point of posting any positive feedback I have too, so if you're listening Nomads, keep me happy~!

Also cheers for the discount Travelfish.

PS Don't know if anybody else gets this but whenever I got a quote from the site, changing the donation amount in the drop-down box would screw up the price total. Like $439.47 would become $439.47.47 - changing it again would just give some garbled junk like $NAL.479Q! Don't what kind of currency that is. I use Mozilla Firefox 3.6.8

#27 Posted: 9/8/2010 - 10:15

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Hey Somtam,

So what happened? I'm still curious to get the last word on how that pricing scheme works with extensions. And I think SBE had a q too.

Any answers from your pals at WN?

#28 Posted: 10/8/2010 - 18:16

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@CrankyCarrot I passed both yours and SBE's questions to them on Monday. They said they were going to post a response... so guess it is on the way!

#29 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 10:24

• WorldNomads

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

Hey there, Yael from WorldNomads here!

Just wanted to answer a couple of questions raised:

@CrankyCarrot
    re: post #18 – policy extensions are calculated at 5% less than the regular price at the time you choose to extend, for the duration that you select
    re: post #25 – policies specifically outline cover for luggage / baggage and personal effects. Make sure you read and understand the cover available for high value items like computers, i-Pods and mobile phones
    re: post #27 – our IT team is aware of this glitch and are currently working on correcting this

@SBE
    re: post#21 – we are so sorry to hear about what happened to you becoming ill whilst overseas. We are in the process of reviewing with the insurer the way this matter was handled and we will come back to you personally
    Re: Post#24 – regarding extensions, we highlight through the purchase path that pre-existing conditions that have arisen during the initial insurance period are not covered under the new insurance period. This information can also be found within the policy wording and we advise our customers to always take the time to read this document to make sure the cover suits their needs before making a purchase. Policies do have benefits and limits and these are outlined within the policy wording documents that are available on the website, based on your country of permanent residence.

If anyone has any additional questions feel free to shoot them through to askus@worldnomads.com and we can help!

#30 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 12:09

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

I was looking at World Nomads insurance for a 12 month trip, originating from UK. I can only assume World Nomads isn't intended to be competitive in the UK market.

In order to include SE Asia in your trip you now have to lump it into the bracket that also includes USA and Canada, even though all other insurance companies appear to include it in the 'excluding USA and Canada' policy which obviously makes World Nomads more expensive. So a basic policy for 12 months is then £424! More expensive than any other one I've looked at.

Then I noticed that Scuba diving does not apear to be included in the basic policy, you seem to have to add the level 3 sports policy just to get scuba diving included! This takes the policy price up to....£741.66!! Ouch! Outrageously expensive.

Needless to say I'll be looking elsewhere.

#31 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 15:20

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

@Yael - thanks for the answers mate.

Sounds reasonable to me. I bought my WN policy in Australia, where you can cover asia (except Japan) and exclude Canada and America.

#32 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 15:37

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Yes thanks for getting back to us Yael, much appreciated.

My friends who were tsunami victims haven't replied to my email yet but they could well be away travelling at this time of year. Will re-post if I hear from them!

If you don't mind Yael, I have what is probably a very silly question but I'd like clarification.

Supposing someone has a motorbike accident the day before their policy expires and sustains fractures, head injuries etc that aren't serious enough to warrant immediate emergency repatriation but that do require lengthy or repeated hospital treatment and physiotherapy etc.

Would World Nomads only cover the medical fees for a mere 24 hours (until the policy contract period expires) leaving the policy holder with the bill for the rest of the treatment?

Steve81 raises another point I'd like to ask about. Why the disparity in the price of policies depending on where you live? I live in France and like him, when I try and get a quote, there is no opt out box to tick for the US and Canada.

I just got quotes from WN and World Escapade again for my next trip. World Escapade have the exact same underwriters and almost identical policy wording as World Nomads. However they DO give you the option of opting out of cover for the US and Canada and the DO give you the opportunity to get insurance for the exact number of days you require it (unlike World Nomads).

Here are the quotes I got (no discount codes, no donations)

World Nomads
    7 months basic cover = 725 Euros.

World Escapade
    Exact number of days, basic cover, excluding US and Canada = 273 Euros

Can you explain why should I opt for World Nomads rather than World Escapade?

#33 Posted: 13/8/2010 - 22:34

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

waiting with bated breath for reply from WN, my opinion of them has always been they are OUTRAGEOUSLY overpriced and whilst accepting that you get what you pay for in life, why should I pay exorbitant rates because they assume Europeans ona year long trip HAVE to visit N. America? Or whatever justification they may come up with. BTW I only considered them due to links from THIS site.

#34 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 04:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Typing under the proviso it is Saturday morning and I'm yet to have a coffee, it seems very unusual to bunch SEA with the US and Canada etc for visitors from the UK (and France as SBE notes), certainly makes WorldNomads appear to be pretty uncompetitive on a price basis for those from those countries.

@SBE re the coverage for ongoing issues that arose in the original policy across into an "extended policy" WorldEscapades has the same policy as WorldNomads. I agree it's misleading to call this a policy extension -- seems like a new policy to me.

As have said before, we recommend World Nomads for a number of reasons, one of which is it is who we use whenever we travel. Luckily the cost of insurance for those travelling from Australia and certain other countries, hasn't risen so much, but I have to say I wouldn't pay 700+ quid for a travel insurance policy. Seems very expensive.

Anyway, I'm off to find caffeine, perhaps Nomads will chime in again.

#35 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 05:54

• SBE

Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Places visited:
    At least 2

@oscarcat. I don't blame Somtam ... he's always been scrupulously upfront, and he always follows up when people raise issues like this. Personally, I think his open and honest attitude is one of the greatest strengths of Travelfish.

I'm pretty certain he didn't realize there was this huge disparity in WN prices ... he expressed surprise when I said how much I was being quoted in another thread recently ... he tried and the price he was quoted was far lower... lower than his World Escapade quote in fact.

@Steve8 ... that quote you got for basic cover for 12 months is quite low compared to what I'd be charged. I just checked to see in case it was cheaper for me to get cover for a whole year...

Nope. If you live in France, one year's travel insurance (BASIC cover) with WN will set you back ... wait for it... Euro €1,263

That is over 1000 quid.

Yael... are you there?

#36 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 17:44

• Steve81

Joined Travelfish
    12th March, 2010

Euro €1,263?!?! Wow!

#37 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 18:44

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@SBE/Steve81 Yes I agree - insane.

Have got in contact with a couple of providers aimed at UK/EU residents that are more cost effective for budget travellers and will report back as I figure out more.

#38 Posted: 14/8/2010 - 19:45

• oscarcat

Joined Travelfish
    11th November, 2008
    Location Cambodia

Firstly, I never meant to cast aspersions on this wonderful site and my apologies if that is what came across I was simply stating my interest in WN originated here (how did you hear about us.. TravelFish..) but once I saw the prices I turned tail and ran, no reflection on Somtam or the site at all. Where I ran to was Flexicover Direct who insured my partner and I as a couple for a yr with a 90 day max trip and one pre declared condition for ... 130 of your English pounds!!!! i must admit I didn't pay close attention to the small print as to whats allowed and I don't dive. I'm british and live in Spain btw.

#39 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 04:45

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Travelfish and Somtam are 60% of the reason I went with WN. The pricing for me $340aus seemed on par with the other plans going. Ofcourse I added another 100aus by taking a laptop and iphone, which are covered for only $250 by default.

I think customisation can really set travel ins policies apart. It'd be great to take it further with the WN plan and actually check the boxes next to the stuff I'll be doing, eg Motorbike riding/frolicking with rabid monkeys etc... and untick the boxes for things that aren't even available in the hemisphere Im visiting, like Zorbing.

I really need to check the fine print on motorbike riding and WN. Haven't fired up a bike yet, but want to soon. And I've seen enough scabs, bandages and random people lying in the street to know accidents DO happen around here.

I plan to wear a helmet most of the time and avoid drink driving where possible, lol. Anyone know off the top of their head if my bank acc safe if I stack it?

#40 Posted: 15/8/2010 - 16:18

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Following on from the above, I had a Q&A with Katrina Greeves who is the Product Marketing Manager at World Nomads, and ran some questions by her about what was the reasoning behind these changes in price.

My questions in bold. Hope you find it of use.

The following is also on the Travelfish blog

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the chance to answer some of these tricky questions posed the Travelfish community. We really appreciate the feedback - your community's suggestions will help make our travel insurance better.

What has changed with how World Nomad's organises its country brackets?
    The price for travel insurance always changes depending on your country of residence and where you are going. We've recently made some changes just for residents of the UK and Ireland, which has affected the price of our policies if you're going to S.E. Asia. For residents of the other 140+ countries we cover, our country brackets remain the same.

What brought about that change?
    When lots of people from the UK and Ireland run into trouble in SE Asia and make a claim on their insurance, eventually, the pricing for everyone else is affected. Unfortunately, this is what has happened over the past 6 months with WorldNomads.com travel insurance, and that’s why S.E and Eastern Asia has been bundled into the same region as the USA, Canada, The Caribbean and Japan for the time being.

So, what you're saying is, the rates are going up because a lot of Brits claim on their travel insurance - but isn't that the whole point of having travel insurance?

Actually the main reason people should consider travel insurance is to provide help if they get sick or injured when travelling. Not everyone needs to make a claim, but the costs involved in helping those that do can be substantial. When you consider that it can cost up to $200 000+ for emergency medical expenses if you're seriously injured, the cost you've paid for your insurance is probably the last thing on your mind.

Let's be straight: In this case, our insurance underwriters for UK and Irish residents have been required to pay out claims in excess of premiums earned and so need to increase our pricing to cover those losses.

To explain, we work with multiple underwriters around the world who price risk (a.k.a travel insurance) differently. Our prices can change depending on a number of different factors:

a) the number of claims made from travellers in a particular region;

b) the amount that is paid out to help people when they get sick, injured or have their belongings stolen; and

c) the number of travellers going to a particular region, their age and how long they’re travelling.

Roughly what kind of increase in price for a traveller heading to SEA for three months does this equate to?
    This is a tricky question to answer as there a lot of factors which change a travel insurance quote including: if you’ve bought a policy with World Nomads before, your country of residence, what adventure activities you'll do and if you need extra cover for your laptop or other high value items. For a single, UK traveller, going to S.E Asia for 3 months and who’s not a World Nomads member, the base premium price increased by £32.65.

Other rates, especially for French travellers, seem unusually high - is this for the same reason?
    The short answer is yes, over the past 12 months we've had to increase our prices for European residents.

Some people in the Travelfish community have noticed that our product for European residents is similar to other insurance providers. While we can not comment on why their prices are different, how they service their customers or pay their claims, we aim to provide the best value product, 24/7 travel assistance when things go wrong, and useful travel advice to keep our customers travelling safely.

World Nomads have a great brand, closely associated with backpackers and independent travel and they're the first insurer many backpackers think of when they look for travel insurance. But the new rates make WorldNomads significantly more expensive than other insurance providers. What advice can you give to travellers who are trying to decide between WorldNomads and one of the other cheaper providers?

Yes, World Nomads travel insurance was built for independent and adventurous travellers. We don't promise to be the cheapest, yet we'll always add value where we can - like the flexibility to buy travel insurance and claim online (even while travelling), up-to-date travel safety advice, free language guides or offering travellers the chance to donate to community development projects through our Footprints program.

At WorldNomads.com, we’ll continue to choose insurers and emergency assistance partners that can support our customers globally, when they need it most. By all means, choose a travel insurance provider to suite your personal requirements. Whether it’s the price or the knowledge that you’re buying from a reputable company who’ll help you when things go wrong, just remember that insurance policies do differ and can change, and you should read the fine print to make sure you know what’s covered (and not). Our team is always ready to help answer your questions too - askus@worldnomads.com

Thanks Katrina for taking the time to answer the above.

#41 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 09:15

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Thanks Somtam and Katrina for organising that response. Everything there makes sense to me, although that said I'm not traveling from Europe personally and I guess the Aussies have been looking after themselves a bit better than those from the mother country.

I can't help but notice that there's no mention about the wording/rules around policy extensions and the definition of "pre-existing" when it comes to things that occur during the first period of a policy and continue to affect you in the second part.

That seemed to be quite an issue of contention earlier, so I thought it might rate a mention in the above response.

Again, cheers for taking the time.

#42 Posted: 23/8/2010 - 16:13

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

*crickets

Oh well.

#43 Posted: 31/8/2010 - 13:49

• WorldNomads

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2010

@CrankyCarrot: sorry about the belated reply!

RE: #42 - If a policyholder is still overseas, after its end date a policy may still continue to provide medical cover for accidental injuries/illnesses sustained under the original dates of cover, in accordance with the terms and conditions of the policy and subject to approval by the emergency medical department (after consultation with the treating medical practitioners). This would happen only when the event causing the claim occurred during the time of the original policy.

However, once the treatment for the illness/injury is complete there will be no more cover provided for future expenses under either the old or the new policy because the policyholder has been fully treated under the original policy (and the case would be closed). The injury/illness would then be considered to be pre-existing under new policies purchased.

For more information regarding the specific definition of a “pre-existing condition” you will need to refer to the policy wording relating to the product offered for your country of residence.

If there are any further questions please email them through to askus@worldnomads.com. It is a much quicker and more efficient way of answering your insurance questions :)

Happy travels!!
    Yael - WorldNomads.com

#44 Posted: 13/9/2010 - 10:49

• norbit

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2010

hi all,

after much procrastination, im currently undergoing the very time consuming task of sorting out travel insurance for a 12+ month plus trip to SEA. i've finally narrowed it down to either world nomads or covermore's 'travelsure' policy, but having trouble deciding which one to chose.

Before we get into the nitty gritty, something confused me with the world nomads pricing. Pricing provided by their website quotes 6, 12 and 18 month policies as $357, $604 and $1,312 respectively. based on my very limited (ok - non existent) knowledge on travel insurance pricing methodologies, i would have expected the 18 month policy to be around $950 (being approximately the $604 + $357). why is there such a dramatic increase between the 12 and 18 month policy?

Anyway, when comparing the two above mentioned policies side by side with the same excess, Covermore's 'travelsure' option provides significantly increased cover for less. (ie there is no limit on dental, increased cover for luggage and travel documents, and also cover for hikacking, disability, loss of income, accidental death etc which to the best of my knowledge world nomads does not offer). So is it simply that world nomads is overpriced for the level of cover provided, or are there other factors that im missing (such as superior service or an easier claim system) which permits them to charge the price they do (and still receive considerable praise from some members of this website)

cheers!

#45 Posted: 28/11/2010 - 17:19

• lifemagic

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 12

I'm abroad, just noticed I'm having to pay for USA travel now (with no intention of going there). But no one's mentioned that, as far as I know, World Nomads is the only insurer that lets you start a policy if already abroad, so I'm stuck (like a lot of people I guess). Why does no other company do that also? I'm toying with the idea of not bothering with insurance. I've been very ill twice during the last insurance period and just sweated it out alone as I'm averse to seeing health people anyway.

Does anyone know of an insurer who allows you to commence insurance while already aborad? I just checked, all the ones mentioned in this thread do not.

#46 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 18:51

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

I don't, and my WN policy is up at the end of Feb, so I'd like to know too so I can consider my option.s

#47 Posted: 14/1/2011 - 19:42

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

The insurer I used in New Zealand would allow me to extend a policy that I originally purchased before leaving New Zealand.

There must be others that do that?

#48 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 03:22

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

World Nomads does, but if you were with another company or had no insurance at all, you'd be out of luck. Unless there's a co. who allow you to take up insurance while you're already OS.

#49 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 10:59

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hmm.. I misread the question slightly from the previous poster and thought I was responding to a question about extending while abroad, not arranging a policy in the first place. My response above is irrelevant to their question - sorry!

#50 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 11:23

• CrankyCarrot

Joined Travelfish
    24th March, 2010
    Location Thailand

Mai pen rai!

#51 Posted: 15/1/2011 - 11:57

• Bawhite125

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2012
    Location United States

I just came here to say that World Nomad has given me the biggest run-around for a $35 claim that I would not recommend this service to anyone! Horrible.

#52 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 09:20

• lifemagic

Joined Travelfish
    19th July, 2007
    Total reviews: 12

There are two options now, DUinsure, or True Traveller, both let you insure if already abroad, neither have any residency requirements. TT is the one I'm using.

#53 Posted: 29/11/2012 - 20:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Insurance - World Nomads? ... By tatham on 17 May 2010 4 4911 26 Oct 2010
Why we recommend World Nomads travel insurance ... By somtam2000 on 25 Jun 2013 8 4121 1 Sep 2014
Save 5% off all travel insurance policies with World Nomads ... By somtam2000 on 12 May 2006 13 9045 12 Nov 2010
Traveling to SEA for 3 months from US..best insurance? STA vs. World Nomads ... By lola899 on 8 Jan 2011 1 3569 9 Jan 2011
really recomend world nomads ... By danielpacheta on 22 Mar 2011 0 3107 22 Mar 2011
discount voucher code for world nomad travel insurance ... By tinacrossman on 25 May 2012 1 3060 26 May 2012
World Escapade Insurance ... By Indoluso on 5 May 2010 41 12196 1 Jul 2011