Insurance forum

Decent medical only travel insurance?

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

I've come to the conclusion that most travel policies which include baggage, delays, legal liability blah blah blah are rather pointless since getting the necessary proof to claim half those things is more effort than it's worth. On the otherhand medical insurance is probably worth having. So does anyone know of an insurance scheme which more or less just covers medical, I can buy from SEA (I've been out of the UK for over a year now) and includes SEA + China?

Anyone got some thoughts?

#1 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 12:08

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Having spent the last month looking for a reasonably priced expat health insurance for SE Asia, (ie coverage that looks after you in sickness air-evac etc but doesn't help at all for loss/theft/cancellation etc) believe me when I say travel insurance is a bargain!

In all seriousness, I know we plug World Nomads mercilessly on Travelfish, but their annual policy for a family travelling outside of the US and Japan was less than a third of the cost of any similar expat deal I could find.

If you find a cheaper one, with good cover (ie air-evac) let me know!

#2 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 13:28

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

World Nomads coverage is outlined here:
    http://www.travelfish.org/travel-planning/travel-insurance

#3 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 13:29

• dageshi

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2008

cheers, it irks me that I found a nice looking deal at around 60 quid back in the UK but the caveat being that I must have been resident six months in the UK during the last 12 months to sign up, presumably it's to stop the expat crowd getting cheap insurance but in my case I hop around every couple of months to a new country so I guess I fall somewhere in the middle.

#4 Posted: 24/3/2009 - 16:53

• harryplodder

Joined Travelfish
    9th April, 2009

60 quid? what a bargain! cheapest medical only insurance in australia for overseas travel cost me $50 a month

#5 Posted: 12/4/2009 - 08:09

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Harry

I suggest you didn't look far enough.

As an Australian, I paid A$425 last year for a 12 month global policy for we two. Sadly World Nomads is so so so so so expensive (about 3 times the price).

I checked again last week to renew, and the price is roughly the same.

Try 1Cover, or Mondial, both agents for Allianz.

Cheers.

Cheers

#6 Posted: 5/6/2009 - 18:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travel medical insurance ... By valerie1213 on 11 Apr 2012 2 1910 12 Apr 2012