Insurance forum

Insurance without home coverage?

  • cheeco

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009
    Posts: 29

    My husband and I have have been teaching abroad for two years and no longer covered under our Canadian provincial health insurance.

    Many insurance companies (including World Nomads) required provincial insurance in order to purchase their coverage.

    Any suggestions on how to obtain international coverage? Any companies that will sell us coverage?


    #1 Posted: 21/6/2009 - 14:38

  • Advertisement

  • BruceMoon

    Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Posts: 1941
    Total reviews: 6


    I'm surprised at that.

    Elsewhere on Travelfish I've indicated that World Nomads is expensive.

    Here in Australia, the companies offering global travel insurance don't make reference to domestic health cover. This may be possible because Australian health cover is universally applied.

    But, as I understand your query, you are not necessarily after travel insurance, but health care insurance.

    I don't know which in country you are currently residing, but when I 'googled' the words health care insurance and the extra term thailand, I found companies prepared to sell insurance.

    For example, in Thailand, BUPA. In Vietnam, Pacific Health Insurance, etc.

    If, in fact you are looking for travel insurance, maybe you also google the words travel insurance with your nation of residency, and/or also your preferred nation (ie Canada).

    Hope this helps


    #2 Posted: 28/6/2009 - 19:57

  • naromekram

    Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2008
    Posts: 4

    Aren't you given insurance through your school? Here in Thailand BUPA is big and you can have choices of varying coverage. You can also choose (a much better) insurance company that I use: TIECARE. I'm covered for emergencies back in the US and I've got major medical coverage outside the US.


    #3 Posted: 10/7/2009 - 09:51

  • cheeco

    Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2009
    Posts: 29

    Yes, we are given insurance through our school, but because we are leaving at the end of Aug, this will be cut off.

    Thanks for the info!

    #4 Posted: 14/7/2009 - 12:46

  • chrisrarmst-

    Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2010
    Posts: 3

    Where would be the best place to obtain insurance, Bank or Agent?

    #5 Posted: 22/2/2011 - 06:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Travel Insurance to Cover Motorbiking without Bike Licence in Home Country ... By StephJayne165 on 14 Aug 2012 2 4209 20 Dec 2012