Photo: Wear a helmet and be picky with your bridges.

Insurance forum

Insurance without home coverage?

Posted by cheeco on 21/6/2009 at 14:38

My husband and I have have been teaching abroad for two years and no longer covered under our Canadian provincial health insurance.

Many insurance companies (including World Nomads) required provincial insurance in order to purchase their coverage.

Any suggestions on how to obtain international coverage? Any companies that will sell us coverage?

Thanks!

#1 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by BruceMoon on 28/6/2009 at 19:57

cheeco

I'm surprised at that.

Elsewhere on Travelfish I've indicated that World Nomads is expensive.

Here in Australia, the companies offering global travel insurance don't make reference to domestic health cover. This may be possible because Australian health cover is universally applied.

But, as I understand your query, you are not necessarily after travel insurance, but health care insurance.

I don't know which in country you are currently residing, but when I 'googled' the words health care insurance and the extra term thailand, I found companies prepared to sell insurance.

For example, in Thailand, BUPA. In Vietnam, Pacific Health Insurance, etc.

If, in fact you are looking for travel insurance, maybe you also google the words travel insurance with your nation of residency, and/or also your preferred nation (ie Canada).

Hope this helps

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by naromekram on 10/7/2009 at 09:51

Aren't you given insurance through your school? Here in Thailand BUPA is big and you can have choices of varying coverage. You can also choose (a much better) insurance company that I use: TIECARE. I'm covered for emergencies back in the US and I've got major medical coverage outside the US.

Mark

#3 naromekram has been a member since 10/7/2008. Posts: 4

Posted by cheeco on 14/7/2009 at 12:46

Yes, we are given insurance through our school, but because we are leaving at the end of Aug, this will be cut off.

Thanks for the info!

#4 cheeco has been a member since 22/4/2009. Posts: 29

Posted by chrisrarmstead on 22/2/2011 at 06:30

Where would be the best place to obtain insurance, Bank or Agent?

#5 chrisrarmstead has been a member since 29/12/2010. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.