Insurance forum

Travel Insurance

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

I'm not sure this is the right thread for info on travel insurance.

But, as I mainly have it for health reasons, here goes...

I am about to buy another annual travel insurance policy, so started searching. As an Australian, I looked through this review site .

Given that one name is often mentioned here on TF, I was interested to see the results. I suggest you may also be interested... check out here .

I'd be interested in what other's may have learned about travel insurance companies - not what they paid, etc., rather, what happened when they made a claim.

Cheers

#1 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 11:56

• Advertisement

• Rohan

Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009

Bruce

I fear that the number of reviews on the site for all bar 2 of the insurers are so small as to be meaningless. Taking the example that you link to, there are only 9 reviews going all the way back to 2007, and only one review in the last 12 months.

You also have to wonder when 2 (lesser known) companies have so many more reviews than any other and also have significantly better ratings than most. Perhaps this is overly cynical, but I have spent too long looking at internet forums on Vietnam not to take this sort of thing with a grain of salt.

#2 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 12:09

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Rohan

You're probably right. Nevertheless, I was hoping my last sentence was the key item for interest...

I'd be interested in what other's may have learned about travel insurance companies - not what they paid, etc., rather, what happened when they made a claim..

Cheers

#3 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 13:40

• spikybrain

Joined Travelfish
    21st August, 2009

#3 so why use worldnomads (who is obviously some kind of travelfish sponsor) into the equation? Do a search on "XYZ travel insurance reviews" and you'll get a host of people moaning about not being paid out, its hardly like nomads are the only ones who don't pay claims!

The issue is when people get paid out they don't get the same pressing need to go write online about it. noisy wheels and all that.

I've used nomads in the past and it was all easy. I didn't have to claim so can't comment on tat but they're a very backpackerfriendly company I think.

I'd use them again, and if i filed a legitimate claim and they didn't pay then i wouldn't use them again. Would look at any company same way.

#4 Posted: 21/8/2009 - 15:12

• SophieAlice-

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2009
    Location United Kingdom

Hi guys and girls,

I've just booked my travel insurance with a company called 24/7 travel insurance which I found on moneysupermarket.com (they compare companies for the cheapest deal)

It was £50 for 6 months and covers all the basics i.e medical, theft and legal liability stuff. Seems pretty resonable to me.

I think most companies are buggers when it comes to doling out the claims but its definately a good idea to get covered. Saves your parents paying ££££££/$$$$$$ to get you shipped home in a box should the worst happen....

#5 Posted: 14/10/2009 - 23:03

• kukuruza

Joined Travelfish
    29th October, 2009

I fear that the number of reviews on the site for all bar 2 of the insurers are so small as to be meaningless.

#6 Posted: 3/11/2009 - 21:04

• Mike_V

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2009

I've used Columbus Direct quite a few times, especially the yearly policies.

The prices is good, but like you say, I've never made a claim so I have no idea really what they are like.

#7 Posted: 5/11/2009 - 17:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.