Insurance forum

One way travel insurance question

• gabsey

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

Hi,

I'm traveling through Malaysia, Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam on my way back to live in Australia from England. Travelfish is a great resource ,as is the forum,in planning my trip so thanks very much to all the contributers.

So now my question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance providers for one way travel insurance?

My travelling companion will also need travel insurance that covers one way travel and a pre existing medical condition (knee reconstruction in the past six months).

Of course there are dozens of options on the internet I can and have researched, but some first hand experience or advice on either policy needed would be a great help.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 19:48

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

gabsey

To an insurance company, I can't see that one way would be much different to a return trip: it's the fact of covering you for the journey over a set period.

I recently (again) bought annual travel insurance, and in so doing, selected what I thought were potential offerings, and then rang the firms and asked questions. I suggest you may have to do the same to sort out this issue.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 20:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure what you mean by one-way travel insurance. It's generally doled out as a time-based policy rather than a round-trip deal.

For pre-existing conditions, as per BM, best to call various suppliers for more info.

We recommend WorldNomads, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cover your pre-existing knee issue, as they say:

"What we don't cover:
    A good rule of thumb is to remember that insurance is there for things that might go wrong and will not cover extreme risks such as:
    1. Medical conditions that exist before you travel
    You can still take out the insurance for other benefits but you should be aware that costs of treatments that you knew were likely or possible before you travel won't be covered. "

Cheers

#3 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 21:34

• gabsey

Joined Travelfish
    27th April, 2009

Thanks both I was pretty sure that was what I was going to hear from the research I've already done. Still one can always hope for a shortcut!

#4 Posted: 23/8/2009 - 22:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Question about insurance for US citizens ... By mattocmd on 5 Jun 2013 1 1094 5 Jun 2013