Photo: Wear a helmet and be picky with your bridges.

Insurance forum

One way travel insurance question

Posted by gabsey on 23/8/2009 at 19:48

Hi,

I'm traveling through Malaysia, Thailand, Loas, Cambodia and Vietnam on my way back to live in Australia from England. Travelfish is a great resource ,as is the forum,in planning my trip so thanks very much to all the contributers.

So now my question.

Does anyone have any recommendations for insurance providers for one way travel insurance?

My travelling companion will also need travel insurance that covers one way travel and a pre existing medical condition (knee reconstruction in the past six months).

Of course there are dozens of options on the internet I can and have researched, but some first hand experience or advice on either policy needed would be a great help.

Thanks

#1 gabsey has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 2

Posted by BruceMoon on 23/8/2009 at 20:00

gabsey

To an insurance company, I can't see that one way would be much different to a return trip: it's the fact of covering you for the journey over a set period.

I recently (again) bought annual travel insurance, and in so doing, selected what I thought were potential offerings, and then rang the firms and asked questions. I suggest you may have to do the same to sort out this issue.

Cheers

#2 BruceMoon has been a member since 27/12/2008. Location: Australia. Posts: 1,941

Posted by somtam2000 on 23/8/2009 at 21:34 admin

Not sure what you mean by one-way travel insurance. It's generally doled out as a time-based policy rather than a round-trip deal.

For pre-existing conditions, as per BM, best to call various suppliers for more info.

We recommend WorldNomads, but I'm pretty sure they wouldn't cover your pre-existing knee issue, as they say:

"What we don't cover:
A good rule of thumb is to remember that insurance is there for things that might go wrong and will not cover extreme risks such as:
1. Medical conditions that exist before you travel
You can still take out the insurance for other benefits but you should be aware that costs of treatments that you knew were likely or possible before you travel won't be covered. "

Cheers

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,434
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gabsey on 23/8/2009 at 22:24

Thanks both I was pretty sure that was what I was going to hear from the research I've already done. Still one can always hope for a shortcut!

#4 gabsey has been a member since 27/4/2009. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.