Insurance forum

Motorbike rental and travel insurance

  • ngg18

    Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008
    Posts: 21


    I was wondering if anyone could tell me about driving licenses in Malaysia. Is it a problem renting a motorbike when one only possesses a car driving license? In the unlikely event of an accident, would I still be covered by travel insurance?

    Renting a motorbike in south east asia seems to be very popular I have noticed but surely it would be quite risky if one is not properly covered by travel insurance???


    #1 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 06:26

  • Advertisement

  • AbgAcid

    Click here to learn more about AbgAcid
    Joined Travelfish
    28th November, 2009
    Location Malaysia
    Posts: 162
    Total reviews: 21

    In malaysia you will definitely need a motocycle driving licence. If you are a comonwealthe country, I believe you can use your couintry's motorbike licence,.. or have it changed to international driving licence if you hae doubts.

    The bike rentals come with a third party bike insurance. But this cover injueries/damage to the other party in case of collision. However if you needed an extra coverage for your own benefit, there are many inusrance company offering the said coverage. Its called PA-Traveller, you may opt for PA-Traveller Asian countries, its cheaper than worldwide option.

    As for rentals in Malaysia try

    best of luck


    #2 Posted: 17/1/2010 - 16:22

  • Shanean

    Joined Travelfish
    26th January, 2011
    Posts: 1

    I am not quite sure wat it is like in maylasia to rent a bike, but most asian countries you will be able to rent a bike, but will be required to hand over your passport, and you will not require an international licence, as you are a tourist.

    #3 Posted: 26/1/2011 - 15:16

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
motorbike rental travel insurance ... By ngg18 on 11 Jan 2010 5 4295 16 Jan 2010