Insurance forum

motorbike rental travel insurance

  • ngg18

    Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008
    Posts: 21


    I know renting a motorbike in Vietnam is very easy. I was wondering what license is required to drive a motorbike in Vietnam. I do not have a motorbike license but do have a car license. In the event that something happens, say I crash and break my arm, would I be covered under travel insurance? I thought I would ask on here since many people must have rented motorbikes in s.e asia and perhaps some of you have experience with the questions im asking.

    Thanks in advance

    #1 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 06:32

  • Advertisement

  • Rohan

    Joined Travelfish
    16th June, 2009
    Posts: 63

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Coverage depends on the wording of your policy, but I know mine says "no" and I think most others say the same. Mine requires that you have a motorbike licence in your home country. It does allow you to ride behind a licensed driver though, so should cover motorbike taxis and the like. Check the wording of your policy, but I would be surprised if it gave you anything more than this.

    #2 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 08:16

  • ngg18

    Joined Travelfish
    4th June, 2008
    Posts: 21

    Thanks Rohan. Exactly what I expected and also what my policy says. So I guess most people take the risk and rent a motorbike without being insured for it.

    Would insurance still pay for any hospital bills?

    #3 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 08:24

  • somtam2000

    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Posts: 7371
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

    You'd really need to ask your insurer but I would guess an insurer would not cover you for any expenses if you were riding a bike unlicensed -- there have also been reports of insurers not paying up when the tourist was a passenger and the Vn driver was unlicensed -- but I don't know how common that is.

    #4 Posted: 11/1/2010 - 14:07

  • Pablot

    Joined Travelfish
    4th May, 2009
    Posts: 102

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    Note not everyone riding a motorbike or driving a car, truck, bus etc. in VN has a license! old men are allowed to do pretty much as they want by seniority and often they do!

    If you ride a motorbike make sure you have a VN license (international licenses are not acceptable) because in places like Mui Ne Police use this as a tactic to extract money from tourists. Be aware that riding a motorbike in VN is problematic if you do not have the right licenses, motorbike documents and insurance.

    #5 Posted: 12/1/2010 - 06:08

  • hitravel

    Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2010
    Posts: 7

    Posted from within Vietnam.

    everyone drive a bike have to need a license, but in Vietnam the policeman seem to be very kind to the foreigners, i've never seen. Because they don't understand what're you saying ? But, don't forget your helmet and a good lock for you bike when you park it on the street.
    Rent a bike cost about 6$/day, so if you would like to take it for a month you should own a bike! The best bike to take on Vietnam and Indochina's road is Russian's Minsk 125cc. it about 300$/bike

    And about the ensurance! You mean your country's ensurance or Vietnam's one ? I don't know about your country, but in Vietnam. You can buy a bike ensurance for 1 year is; 66.000vnd ($4). why do we need it ? Just for a rule, you don't get much if the bike is break down, or hospital's bill. Never wait this ensurance if you don't want to die, because it takes very very long time!

    If you are interrested in the Minsk you can contact me by email:
    i have some minsk for sale

    #6 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 23:24

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Hotel Deals of the Day
best price guarantee

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Motorbike rental and travel insurance ... By ngg18 on 11 Jan 2010 2 6120 26 Jan 2011