Travel with kids forum

Itinerary advice - Travelling with kids Dec 2010

• richardhjan5

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Firstly, as a new user: What an awesome resource this Travelfish forum is!
    I have spent many informative hours reading the reports posted and it has been incredibly useful so far.
    Thank-you very much to all who share their knowledge.

We have a trip planned in December - Jan this year, arriving KL, onto HCMC on 16 Dec and then into Cambodia. Flying out of Phnom Penh on 6 Jan. Nothing else is set in concrete yet ( except Siem Reap )
    We have 2 children, who will be 5 and 7, so will need to tailor some aspects of the trip accordingly.

I would really appreciate any advice on a good, family friendly itinerary and if possible some recommendations for "must-dos" or "must sees" for my kids.

So many possibilities!
    And I must add, this will be our first trip to Cambodia/Vietnam.

Very excited!

Thanks in advance

Richard

#1 Posted: 17/3/2010 - 14:34

• Advertisement

• patrickobri-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Richard

Deja vu, this time last year I was planning our trip to SE Asia, being two adults and two children aged 8 and 5 from mid December to mid January. We had a ball, four weeks through (down) Vietnam, and a side trip to Siem Reap.

In regards to the kids:

we found we had to slow down and read their 'signs', when they were tired go and find the air con, and usually a short spell each day out of the heat (even better with a pool);
    lots of cold bottled water;
    soft drink as a treat a lunch/dinner;
    lots of tuk tuks and cabs ($1-2 each way);
    hotels with pools;
    western food every now and then;

Siem Reap

Mr Kim San the tour guide (ref google), very good, air con car and private tour;
    Hotel - Mekong Angor Palace, cheap and clean, nice pool;
    Khmer Kitchen in pub street for lunch and dinner;
    Try a spider in the markets.

Vietnam-North to South

North
    Sapa in December, mountains and hill tribes (cold and beautiful), we don't have many mountains in Australia;
    We didnt get to Halong bay so cannot comment;
    Water Puppets in Hanoi, get your tickets early, very good;
    Christmas at the Jasmine Hotel Hanoi, say hello to Mrs Spring, great hotel;

Hue

Orchid hotel very nice and clean;
    Imperial City very impressive (kids got bored quickly);
    Private car day trip to the tombs

Hoi An

Great for tailors and shopping;
    Get out to the beach on push bikes;
    Kids can load up on trinkets for their friends (usd 3, happy days);
    Tailor- make it Yally, pay the extra its worth it;
    Food, anything in lonely planet's list, and go for a family cooking class;

Nha Trangh

This place is a coastal city, but the water park at Vin Pearl was fantastic for the kids. Take your time and give the kids a break, our kids loved it;
    We dragged them out after one day, so if time allows, take two days

HCMC

Hotel with a pool (Metropole was ok);
    Cabs, cabs and more cabs (our kids did well, but were exhausted after four weeks on the go);
    Water Park at Dam Sen (taxi about vnd 100,000 from Metropole)
    We didnt go to the delta with the kids as my wife and I had been there before.

Always enquire about the private car, so you dont get caught on a full day tour and can get the kids home easily, the cost is usually only about usd 10 more.

All I can say is enjoy. After out fantastic experience last year, I am planning our current trip to Laos and Cambodia.

Have the hotel arrange the airport transfers, as this proved invaluable, ie collect your bags and have the driver waiting at the gate with your name tag. never failed.

Enjoy the pho

Patrick

#2 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 20:10

• patrickobri-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Richard

Deja vu, this time last year I was planning our trip to SE Asia, being two adults and two children aged 8 and 5 from mid December to mid January. We had a ball, four weeks through (down) Vietnam, and a side trip to Siem Reap.

In regards to the kids:

we found we had to slow down and read their 'signs', when they were tired go and find the air con, and usually a short spell each day out of the heat (even better with a pool);
    hotels with pools;

Siem Reap

Mr Kim San the tour guide (ref google), very good, air con car and private tour;

Vietnam-North to South

North
    Sapa in December, mountains and hill tribes (cold and beautiful), we don't have many mountains in Australia;

Hue

Hoi An

Nha Trangh

This place is a coastal city, but the water park at Vin Pearl was fantastic for the kids. Take your time and give the kids a break, our kids loved it;

HCMC

Cabs, cabs and more cabs (our kids did well, but were exhausted after four weeks on the go);

Always enquire about the private car, so you dont get caught on a full day tour and can get the kids home easily, the cost is usually only about usd 10 more.

All I can say is enjoy. After out fantastic experience last year, I am planning our current trip to Laos and Cambodia.

Have the hotel arrange the airport transfers, as this proved invaluable, ie collect your bags and have the driver waiting at the gate with your name tag. never failed.

Enjoy the pho

Patrick

#3 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 20:14

• patrickobri-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Richard

In regards to the kids:

hotels with pools;

Siem Reap

Vietnam-North to South

North

Hue

Hoi An

Nha Trangh

HCMC

Enjoy the pho

Patrick

#4 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 20:15

• patrickobri-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2010

Richard

In regards to the kids:

hotels with pools;

Siem Reap

Vietnam-North to South

North

Hue

Hoi An

Nha Trangh

HCMC

Enjoy the pho

Patrick

#5 Posted: 26/3/2010 - 20:15

• richardhjan5

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Patrick

Thanks heaps for the info. There are some excellent tips there and it's great to have a few recent recommendations:)

Just wondering: How did you find the weather in VN at that time? I have read so much conflicting info on weather patterns for anywhere North of Nha Trang.

Also, did you bother to book places in advance at that time? Again, quite torn here - the whole freedom thing Vs the need to have something in place given that we have our little ones.
    Gone are the days of arriving in a town at 11.30pm and "wandering about" until I find some place to crash:)

Cambodia sounds perfect at that time so I reckon we'll be right wherever we end up there.

Cheers

Richard

#6 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 02:58

• coopsnpeps

Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010

HI there,

We travelled to Vietnam last year from South to north.
    Our kids were 16 months and 4 at the time.

I blogged about it here:

http://smithfamilydoesvietnam.blogspot.com/

thailand and Malaysia here:

http:/coopsnpeps.blogspot.com

We are also going to Cambodia in november and I am enjoying reading Travelfish for some ideas :)

HTH
    Bron

#7 Posted: 31/3/2010 - 10:26

• richardhjan5

Joined Travelfish
    4th March, 2010

Hey there Bron

Thanks heaps for the reply. I checked out your links:)
    Great reading! Sounds like you had a ball.
    Going to be real interesting to see how our kids react when they come across the real unusual stuff !! :)

Good luck with the plans for November

Cheers

Richard

#8 Posted: 6/4/2010 - 14:28

• peterjones79

Joined Travelfish
    8th June, 2010
    Location Cambodia

Richard,

I am new to this site today and like you very impressed.

Cambodia is a great place for kids and you will have a blast travelling as a family.

I run a Cambodian travel company and have a lot of suggestions and ideas on our website - www.SeeCambodiaDifferently.com
    Or get in touch with me on peter@SeeCambodiaDifferently.com
    So it might be worth taking a look.

Cheers

Peter

#9 Posted: 8/6/2010 - 21:48

• Caswell

Joined Travelfish
    3rd August, 2009
    Total reviews: 2

Hi there
    We returned from SEA in late jan. after 7 weeks of wonderfull family time traveling with 3 kids age 3, 8 and 10. A few of our highlights: staying at the Billabong i Phnom Phen with two rooms just next to the lovely saltwater pool, doing a cooking course (me and my oldest) at the Frizz Restaurant, going for a daytrip to the animal sanctuary outside PP, eating huge icecreams in Swendsen icecream bar in one of the shoppingcentres in town, going to markets, seeing the city from the back of a tuk-tuk, driving through the Cardamom Mountains on our way to the WONDERFULL island of Koh Kood (staying at the even more wonderfull The Beach Natural Resort Koh Kood). Ohhh just want to go back!
    Hope you have a wonderfull trip!!!
    Dorte

#10 Posted: 21/7/2010 - 20:15

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Can't decide whether to visit Laos & Thailand or just Thailand in August 2010 - travelling with kids ... By john_f on 26 Mar 2010 14 9458 15 May 2011
itinerary advice - First time with kids, 5,7,9 years. SE Asian destinations? ... By quennoo on 4 Jan 2012 8 2797 8 Sep 2012
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 919 20 Jul 2013
Travelling with Kids? ... By chrisrieom on 20 Feb 2014 0 818 20 Feb 2014