Travel with kids forum

Kids, travel and me!

• Lexi17

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Hi i'm planning a trip to Thailand with my 3 children in July and August.....the kids are 12, 10 and 7, but i'm a single Mum....am I crazy? I don't think so, but wanted to see what others thought or any advice you might have... OH.....AND I want good weather?!? is Thailand the wrong place and the wrong time?!?!

#1 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 21:26

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Technically, July/August is peak rainy season for most of Thailand BUT that doesn't mean rain every day. Definitely some heavy showers now and then, particularly late afternoon or evenings, but good chance of sunny days too. Weather forcasts always say "thundershowers" that time of year too, but can be misleading. After you've baked in 90f/35c type heat a spell of rain is actually a relief.

The lower east coast on the Gulf of Thailand doesn't get as much rain then, with it's rainy period more like October-Feb so Ko Samui/Phangan/Tao or the lower east coast mainland are the go.

As for a single mum with three not-so-young kids a Thai trip is very doable. Easy country to get around and arrange transport and accommodation.

#2 Posted: 1/4/2010 - 23:23

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I would say as long as the kids are disciplined and not inclined to wander off on their own, it should not be a problem.

Weather? It's going to rain some for sure.

#3 Posted: 2/4/2010 - 02:26

• Lexi17

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2010

Thanks for your help!...the lower east coastline it is then!!..now I just have to find those cheap flights!..anything you would recommend as a must see/must do in that area?

#4 Posted: 2/4/2010 - 17:42

• alicekeeling

Joined Travelfish
    18th April, 2011

Hi Lexi,

You are definitely not crazy! I am also a single mum going travelling in Thailand for a month in August with my child (only the one, boy aged 8 ).

I am planning to head to Chiang Mai by overnight sleeper train from Bangkok for some Elephant trekking and then the Lower East coast for beaches, islands and snorkelling.

Its my first time backpacking with a child and also my first time to Thailand, so I won't be much use for recommendations, but I was wondering if you might like to try and head to the same area at the same time in August. Obviously plans change when backpacking, but maybe nearer the time, we could try to coordinate a stay somewhere?

Best of luck with everything
    Alice
    :-)

#5 Posted: 18/4/2011 - 02:49

• renald

Joined Travelfish
    5th November, 2011

I think there will be no problem with your children as they are too old and know all the things. Don't worry on this matter.

Thailand is a great tourist spot with plenty of attractions. This is the best place to explore a lot. I think you planned your trip in rainy season as it may not be the best time. The best time to visit

Thailand is during cool season (November-February). So plan accordingly.

#6 Posted: 14/11/2011 - 22:57

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hi Lexi, you are not crazy at all and it is a cool and great idea to give your kids such an experience they will never forget !
    I am going on a 6 weeks backpacking trip with my almost 6year old son beginning of Feb and I am confident that even though my son is a pretty wild one here back home, he will be somehow different in Laos and Thailand.
    I have planned my trip quite kid-like with at least (!!) 3 nights everywhere... we have enough time to do nothing, swim out in Waterfalls, ride on Elephants,... I am sure your kids will love it and as they are already a little older they will be supporting you as well. Just involve them in planning and let them decide on what to do and where to go ... at least from time to time !

#7 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 15:09

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Hi Lexi - I think it will be an awesome opportunity for you and your kids. As far as weather goes, you might find this weather map helpful: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php
    But as others said above, don't let the thought of rain put you off an area. Often it's just an afternoon dump of rain for an hour or two which is a nice respite from the heat anyhow. And that's the time you hide out in a restaurant, sipping a cool beer or shake and watch the rain pelt down outside. Or just have an afternoon snooze if you need it!

Enjoy!

#8 Posted: 7/1/2012 - 16:46

• jess_25

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

Hello Lexi,

I hope you and your kids had the best time in Thailand! GermanCoast-girl is right. You're not crazy to bring your 3 kids along even if you're a single mum, because the most important thing is that you're all together in a fantastic trip! The time spent with them is so precious! :)

Enjoy your next travel plans!

#9 Posted: 9/12/2012 - 12:17

• sonalikapur

Joined Travelfish
    22nd November, 2013

Hello Friends,

I hope you and your kids Travel With Kids is pleased to announce our first application for the iPad: Travel With Kids Italy.

#10 Posted: 23/11/2013 - 06:03

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.