Travel with kids forum

Advise needed on our itinerary thru Tailand with young kids

• 28roses

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Hello
    My husband and I, along with our 7 months old and 4 years old daughters plan on spending about 3.5 weeks in Thailand mid March to mid April.
    We plan on doing quite a bit of traveling as well as mixing accommodations- (beach bungalows, b&b and comfortable hotels). We will spend a few days here to satisfy everybody's interest but I am concerned the bus and train travels might be too exhausting for the kids and for us quite frankly.
    Some places wil be just day trips but mostly we plan on staying at least a couple of days for a good time sleep, relax and enjoy the people and the area
    So we arrive in Bangkok, please comment on our destinations, if it is something feasible or too crazy or can be skipped..
    2 days in Bangkok
    then off to Ayuttaya (2 days) then to Kanchanaburi (2 days)
    Chiang Mai 2 or 3 days
    We plan on going to Surat Thani and visit Ko Tao, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Samuit
    Visit Phuket and province of Krabi, spends several days among the islands and enjoy Railae, Ko Lanta, Phra Nang Bay and Similian Island. We are still debating on Ko Phi Phi
    Is this doable or will be too harsh on the kids-or are they some islands we could skip?
    We plan on traveling mostly by train and buses- no flight and splurge on accomodations. I was also reading since we are 4 traveling, it may make more sense to rent a taxi for exemple bangkok- ayuttaya or Kanchanaburi part.Any advice on that?

#1 Posted: 18/1/2011 - 10:40

• Advertisement

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

That is WAY too much to attempt with kids in tow! (Probably way to much without kids, too, IMO).
    Remember you will have to factor in rest/nap times for the little ones, especially the baby. Slow down! And you are choosing to go at one of the hottest times of the year, so you don't want to be rushing around.
    \Your plan would entail an awful lot of travel, and not seeing/enjoying much.
    I would suggest 2 days in Bangkok, to acclimatise, especially if traveling from a long way away. You can go see the Grand Palace, Wat Po, Wat Arun on the first day, then maybe see some other sights and shopping more leisurely.
    Then go to Ayuttaya - good you are going overnight, rather than a day trip - the day trips make a long day. Ayuttaya is not far from BKK, so not bad onthe train, then you can spend teh rest of teh day (around nap time) going around some of the temples in a tuk tuk. In the morning you can hire a long tail boat and see some other temples (different ones) while having a boat ride. And go back to BKK in the afternoon. You may be able to get a train from Ayuttaya to Kanchanaburi, which would be good, as then you don't have to back track.
    3 days in Kanchanaburi, there is lots to see. Great waterfalls as well as the WW2 historical things. Kids can go on an elephant ride, or on a bamboo raft, and there are also hotsprings.
    Back to Bangkok, overnight and next day fly south to Ko Samui. I wouldn't also go to Ko Tao unless you are heavily into diving, but you can't go diving with little ones... Samui has lovely beaches so spend some time here relaxing. Then maybe go to Ko Pha Ngan, to a quiet beach place there... avoiding the Full Moon Party types.
    Probably at least a week-10 days relaxing around beach places, then back to BKK for a final couple of days of last minute shopping and sightseeing. Then home.
    I wouldn't go to Phuket AND Samui, choose one or the other.
    Remember your kids won't be able to swim very well or at all, so I would avoid too many boat trips, as it is hard to get little life jackets for kids.
    It will be HOT and HUMID, so you will need the kids to be well hydrated, and have good hats and sunscreen all the time, and mosquito repellent.
    Best to try to go sightseeing in the morning after breakfast, then back for naptime, then a quiet activity in afternoon or relax by pool/beach.
    Train travel should be fine with the kids, but there are lots of cheap low cost airlines, so make use of them. You don't really want to be stuck on a train/bus all day with a baby and a 4 year old. There are more cheap airlines available around Phuket than Samui, but do able if you go in and out through Surat Thani. (Bangkok Airways has monopoly on Samui)
    Hope that is helpful, any other advice let me know... Have fun!

#2 Posted: 21/1/2011 - 10:37

• 28roses

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

thanks a lot.

#3 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 03:09

• alisonmilli-
    ken

Joined Travelfish
    10th December, 2006
    Total reviews: 2

Hope you found that helpful, let me know if there is something else you have a question about...

#4 Posted: 11/2/2011 - 05:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary advice needed for a 1 week visit to Laos with 2 young kids ... By skwan00 on 16 Jul 2013 5 918 20 Jul 2013
HELP...Thailand itinerary with young kids ... By Dorothy on 13 Aug 2013 2 1049 16 Aug 2013
advise needed ... By muskey on 17 Jun 2012 8 1444 24 Jun 2012
Saigon to Hanoi Nov. advise needed. ... By gdansk on 19 Sep 2010 2 1795 23 Sep 2010
ANNYONE INS KO SAN ROAD IN COUP? ADVISE NEEDED ... By charlottehessey on 20 Sep 2006 1 1777 20 Sep 2006
Route advise needed: from Hanoi to Bangkok ... By Leonie1991 on 5 Jun 2011 13 12347 7 Jun 2011
Itinerary & Young Teens ... By mandanickel on 19 Jul 2013 7 847 21 Jul 2013