Travel with kids forum

Family trip for 10 months all over Sth East Asia

• taniouchka

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

Hi
    We need some extra help to embark on our fabulous, thrilling and somewhat daunting trip to South East Asia. We are going as a family with 3 boys aged 5, 7 and 10 for 10months starting in Lombok/Gili for some well deserved beach rest for the end of August. The idea is to NOT do the tourist trail but engage with the locals to show the boys different cultures and way of life. Ideally we would stay in Indonesia for 90 days, visa permitted, doing Lombok for 2 weeks, Flores and Komodo, cross to Ubud, Yogya, and Jakarta where we will fly to Malaysia. Now it doesn’t mean that we won’t go anywhere else. Maybe you could advise. From Malaysia we would travel to Thailand around Phuket and then all the way to Bangkok; then to Phnom Penh Cambodia for around 2 to 3 weeks; that would include Angkor Wat, and then as long as we can in Vietnam. Continuing in Laos and then back to Thailand or maybe Burma, depending on the situation there considering we have the boys. Back to Singapore to take a flight to New Zealand.
    It might sound like a lot but we are staying for 10 months.
    Your advice and help would be generously received.
    Thank you very much for taking the time to reply.
    Light and peace.
    Tania

#1 Posted: 14/4/2011 - 23:34

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Holy cow that's a long trip... in a way it sounds fun, but I have a four year old, and I would not want to make a trip like that with her. But to each his own. You know your kids better than I do. This will cost a fortune, but I'm sure you've figured that out. Visas might be a little tricky, requiring some border runs... you might want to check on each countries visa issues in advance. Good luck. Sounds like a fascinating trip. If you can arrange a type O visa prior to coming to Thailand, you might consider that. Gives you a visa refuge if you will.

#2 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 00:27

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Wow that is a long time with kids. You have to keep them occuppied. The locals love kids in most of SE Asia but the work is making sure you are prepared for all that goes into 3 under 10. Boys are so precocious and get into stuff. In some places like PP you have to stay keen and aware even as an adult. How about insurance? For 3 boys? And immunizations? Young immune systems ain't always so strong. Sure there are local kids to but they don't usually leave within 50 km of their homes.
    If you have taken trips with your kids before you know your children better than we do but that seems to me like soooo long. If it was more time in one place I could see. But this is a constant change and travel. As long as you are up for it good luck.

#3 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 10:09

• fourdots

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi Tania, What a great adventure! Check out our website. www.fourdotsonthemap.com We are 10 weeks into our RTW trip with two boys aged 5 and 9 years. We are spending about 4 months in Asia, 4 in UK and Europe and our 90 days in North America. Hope our travels through Asia help you out.
    Karina

#4 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 18:06

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Karina, it's an interesting blog. I can't believe you managed to finance something like that. I'm living in Mukdahan, Thailand. Right on the border with Laos. If you come by this way, be sure to look me up.

#5 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 20:10

• fourdots

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2011

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks Madmac. Finance ... 30 more years to work! Don't think we will make it to Thailand this time but if I am ever in Mukdahan will definitely pop in!

#6 Posted: 15/4/2011 - 20:35

• Thomas922

Joined Travelfish
    1st July, 2007
    Location Global Village

Wow! Great blog Katrina! Just glancing through it will be great for any family of travellers.

#7 Posted: 16/4/2011 - 11:32

• worldschool-
    ed

Joined Travelfish
    3rd May, 2011

Wow what a fabulous trip! We are planning a two year trip around Asia with our boys 3 and 5! I think 10 months is awesome, kids are so resilient, they will do just fine! And they will learn so much! I recommend Vietnam, It is a beautiful country and your kids will be rock stars there! (they will be all over Asia!) Just remember to move slowly, don't pack too much in. But I am sure you know that and will take cues from you kids! I'm wondering if you plan on blogging about it? I am blogging at http://worldschooladventures.com Right now it is just about our preparation and our homeschooling choices (we are unschooling). Maybe our paths with cross somewhere in Asia!
    Oh, and I have a blogroll on my blog with links to lots of other traveling families, some of which are traveling Asia, check it out and I am sure you will pick up some tips and inspiration!

#8 Posted: 3/5/2011 - 08:37

• taniouchka

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

Thank you very much for that Amy. Went on your blog (great btw) and left a message.
    Thanks Karina, great blog.
    And yes indeed we know our little men and we are not planning to rush around but take it all in, enjoy ourselves and listen to our hearts, and that is the 5 of them.
    Blog will be ready soon.

#9 Posted: 4/5/2011 - 00:39

• burnsfamily

Joined Travelfish
    27th June, 2011

Sounds like a fabulous trip! We spent 11 months travelling around SEAsia last year with our two (turned 3 and 5 during the trip).

Malaysia is great with kids. We've just recently moved to Penang (feel free to look us up if you come here!) You could easily spend a week in KL doing the various science museums - actually with three boys you might need even longer! The west coast islands are the best at that time of year.

Thailand ... so many options! We enjoyed the north a lot more than the south, although it's hard to go past beaches with the kids. Just north of Bangkok is an excellent elephant sanctuary - can't remember the name but friends of ours (www.with2kidsintow.blogspot.com) went there recently during their month in Thailand. Chiang Mai has a lot to do with kids. We're heading back there in November for the lantern festival

Cambodia - loved our month there. Coming from Thailand, a good route might be Siem Reap (4-7 days to see Angkor and see the sights), Battambang (3-4 days, more ruins, see how they make rice paper and sticky rice, ride the bamboo train), Phnom Penh , Sihanoukville for some beach relaxation (4 days), Kampot (see the old run down zoo, take a river cruise, stay along the river and relax for a few nights, visit some caves) and Kep before onto Vietnam.

Laos - we loved Laos. With boys the age of yours you will have a fantastic time. The waterfalls at Luang Prabang, the swimming holes in Vang Vieng (stay just on the edges of town to avoid the backpacker craziness and it's a beautiful place). South in Savannakhet is a little dinosaur museum with an enthusiastic curator that lets kids actually touch some of the bones.

OK stopping now ... sorry for the essay!

We've blogged about our trip on www.ourtravellifestyle.com

For Indonesia, you might want to get in touch with www.travelswithanineyearold.com - she's just finished biking with her son through the islands that you want to visit.

#10 Posted: 27/6/2011 - 19:31

• Advertisement

• taniouchka

Joined Travelfish
    1st April, 2011

Thanks very much Tracy for these, fab.
    I will make sure to let you know once we are in Penang and as we are no longer going to New Zealand, we will have more time to spent in SEAsia.

I will take a great pleasure reading your blog but in the meantime you can have a quick look at ours (very new and our first one, so we need to get used to this thing).
    http://5onajourney.wordpress.com/
    Enjoy
    Light and peace
    Tania

#11 Posted: 28/6/2011 - 02:06

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
6 months in south east asia ... By walshie89 on 6 Sep 2010 5 7835 17 May 2011
5 months in south east asia, what to do first????? ... By eoinfitz on 27 Jun 2006 1 3791 27 Jun 2006
3 months South-East Asia ... By pimvanhees on 27 Nov 2011 2 2675 28 Nov 2011
12 months in South East Asia ... By amieekb on 9 Sep 2013 8 1393 10 Sep 2013
South East Asia for 4-5 months ... By brandonjames123 on 19 Jun 2013 4 1763 10 Jul 2013
4 months backpacking in South-East Asia ... By Suleika on 31 May 2013 1 2243 1 Jun 2013
5-6 Months in South East Asia. Is £5000 Enough? ... By Mangala on 25 Apr 2009 6 20264 15 Dec 2009
is 6 months in south east asia too long?? ... By g_singh on 3 Jul 2007 17 6271 27 Aug 2007
7 Months in South East Asia itinerairy help ... By keentraveller12 on 9 Aug 2013 4 1287 9 Aug 2013
South East Asia 17th October for 3 months - 18/m/uk ... By brg93 on 27 Jun 2012 6 1227 1 Aug 2012