Travel with kids forum

Help with Fears about traveling with children??

• NetM

Joined Travelfish
    11th October, 2011

Hi all

Great posts from many people and enjoy reading them.

My partner and I are about to get married and looking to start a family and are keen to continue our travels once we have kids. A lot of friends and family are against the idea of traveling with young kids, and cite many reasons..... but we are excited by it….. and want to learn as much as we can from others who have done it too.

Although we are excited by the adventure, we do realise that its worth being prepared and we would be very interested in hearing from others who travelled for the first time with their kids in tow and what fears and worries you had before you went off.

Hoping to hear about your your feelings, emotions and experiences.

Thanks
    Adrian

#1 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 10:38

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Very young children do not have well developed immune systems, so until your child (or Children) has a reasonably well developed immune system (consult your pediatrician on this) I would not come to SEA. The tropics are home to all kinds of nasty viral and bacteriological infections. Best not to push it on that count.

Also bear in mind that your child will often have to be carried. This is not a stroller friendly environment since sidewalks are for vendors and not for walking. That can making negotiating the streets tricky. So something with which to carry a young child is useful and once they start to walk on their own, be very careful and you move on and off the sidewalk with the little one in tow.

Other than that, you shouldn't have any real problems. You'll be restricted from doing some things, obviusly, since one of you will have to be with the little one, and you probably won't want to haul the rugrat around via zipline. But within reason you should be able to travel.

#2 Posted: 11/10/2011 - 17:25

• TWTLeighan

Click here to learn more about TWTLeighan
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012
    Location Australia

Hi There,

We love to travel and have got a few trips planned this year with our little one in tow. Some tips are:
    Try and book night flights, it will maketravelling a little easier as your bub will sleep.
    Maintaining routines will be difficult, but try and stickto a routine as best you can. Get your baby used to sleeping in a number ofways and places. When travelling it is a huge advantage to have adaptable kidsthat will sleep in any situation.
    Try out your portacots / travel cot at home for nap time toallow kids to get used to them and highlight any issues before you go away.
    Take your babiesfitted cot sheet with you; not a clean one but one he /she has slept on for atleast a night so it smells like them and their bed and home.
    Consider your airplane seating carefully; Babies under 1year old (and under 10-11kgs)are generally given preference by airlines when itcomes to bassinet seats. The down sideto bulk head seats is the arm rests don’t lift up so there is no way for yourlittle one to stretch out even if you are lucky enough to have a spare seatnext to you. There is also no storage space in the seat back in front of you soyou need to stand up and get your belongings out of the overhead locker everytime you need something.
    See a doctor to discuss any vaccinations that may berequired approximately 6 weeks prior to travel.
    If possible before travel get baby used to room temperaturebaby food this makes life much easier if you can’t get access to microwavesetc.
    Go out shopping before you leave and buy a couple of smallnew toys and keep them hidden, don’t bring them out until you are on the flightand your baby is getting frustrated and really bored.
    Take along a couple of story books that you can readtogether.
    Request baby or children’s meals for your flight, or let theairline know about any food allergies etc well in advance. Meal requests mustbe done at least 24 hours before departure.
    Change your baby right before boarding; it is much easier tochange a nappy at the airport than it is in the plane toilets so give yourselfthe maximum amount of time between plane toilet changes.
    Remember you will have to take baby out of their stroller orcarrier etc. for security so if a carrier is very complicated to put on perhapswait until you have cleared security.
    Pack babies foods, formula and drinks etc. in a separateresealable plastic bag and present it to security
    Get to your gate early, generally parents travelling withkids are allowed to board first to give you time to get organised in yourseats.
    Take plenty of snacks, kids appetites may vary to the timingof the travel cart plus snacking fills in some time.
    Make sure you take Paracetamol with you on-board in case ofear aches or other pain.
    Put some breathable fabric over the top of the bassinet toshield baby from lights in the cabin.
    Try to keep your baby hydrated by frequently offering water.
    If you need hostesses to heat bottles for you, ask them inadvance of when you need it, they are often busy with catering duties etc. somay take a while to get the bottle ready so don’t wait until you have ascreaming hungry baby to ask.
    If your baby takes a dummy, let them have it on take-off andlanding to ease pressure on their ears, feeding babies on take-off and landingalso works.
    Dress your baby in layers, planes can be very cold or veryhot, and layers mean you can adjust their clothing to suit without having tochange their whole outfit.
    I hope that helps.
    Leighan
    http://www.travelwithtots.com.au/

#3 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 16:34

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

i love being on long plane rides with people who bring children who are too young to reason with about the pressure they feel in their head

#4 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 19:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Casey
    I was on a plan once from Germany to the US. Seated next to me was a young mother with an infant child. I tried to be accomodating of course. But when the Stewardess asked me if I would be willing to move to an empty row so the mother could have more room, I was ready to sing the Hallelujah chorus.
    We travelled with out daughter when she was nine months old, and she was great. Not a peep, slept almost the whole way.

#5 Posted: 5/1/2012 - 23:10

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

I had 3 toddlers/babies on the plane home from Bali: one in the row in front of me, one in the row behind me - and in the seat next to me! A trifecta - how bad is that luck? Unfortunately for me, they didn't quite manage to cry in synch. They very politely waited for one to stop before the next one started. A joyful ride home, that was! [img]smileys/smile.gif[/img]

Sorry Adrian - these aren't the sort of responses you are looking for! At least TWT gave you some good, practical advise - hopefully others will pipe up soon!

#6 Posted: 6/1/2012 - 02:07

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012
    Total reviews: 6

If you are serious about this pre planning travel before you even have kids (?) then I recommend getting yourselves used to the following things; breastfeeding (helps with ear problems during plane decent, as well as being a food supply and comfort) have your baby sleep with you and don't bother with a pram, carry your kids, it is in fact easy despite the massive trend toward pram usage. If your child is used to all these things traveling will be super easy

#7 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 06:32

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

If you are serious about this pre planning travel before you even have kids (?) then I recommend getting yourselves used to the following things; breastfeeding (helps with ear problems during plane decent, as well as being a food supply and comfort) have your baby sleep with you and don't bother with a pram, carry your kids, it is in fact easy despite the massive trend toward pram usage. If your child is used to all these things traveling will be super easy

#8 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 06:32

• enday

Joined Travelfish
    12th September, 2012

#9 Posted: 9/11/2012 - 06:33

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

Liz
    I had a French friend tell me he had a guy sitting next to him die during the flight. My friend was in the middle seat and was accusing his buddy for stinking feet. Turns out the guy had died silently and no one knew. It was only when the steward was trying to wake him up for something that they realized something was wrong. Things can always be worse.

#10 Posted: 10/11/2012 - 00:58

• Advertisement

• jess_25

Joined Travelfish
    10th August, 2012

Hello Adrian,

Though some of your friends are against the idea of traveling with kids, you know, traveling with the little ones can be a lot of fun, too.

In order for all of you to enjoy while traveling is that both you and your wife must be ready and open-minded to all circumstances. You have to prepare all the important things and foods that your kid will need, especially if your kid is still drinking milk. You would need to bring a lot of extra foods, milk, diapers, etc. You'll never know when you'll run out of these since you are away from home. You also have to watch out on these things, especially if your kid is very picky with foods or might have allergies with diapers. The last time my husband and I went on a travel with our 4 year-old son, who was still drinking his bottled milk then aside from his usual food intake, I really made sure that we have a lot of reserve until we get home. Anyway, just reserve 1 of your luggage bags for him so that it'll be easy to get something he needs. Bring some of these as well in your hand carry luggage.

Also, you might just have to carry your kid once in a while when you're on a trip especially if he/she gets tired, of course, so you have to be prepared for it. That's part of the fun and adventure!

So long as you and your wife are in this trip together and you'll help each other no matter what in attending to your kid/s, and especially being patient, then I'm pretty sure everything will be fine! Just be patient with the kids (with or without tantrums) and enjoy traveling! Create wonderful, happy memories!

#11 Posted: 2/12/2012 - 11:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Traveling with children ... By Esther on 12 Feb 2006 5 2859 19 Feb 2006
Traveling with Children ... By docgliv on 24 Sep 2006 4 2197 24 Nov 2006