Travel with kids forum

Car Seat Hire and Boat Trips

• TWTLeighan

Click here to learn more about TWTLeighan
    Joined Travelfish
    3rd January, 2012
    Location Australia

Hi there, I have a few questions regarding car and child seat hire in Thailand as well as boat trips.

1. I am wondering how easy it is to hire a good quality, safe toddler car seat in Thailand.
    If we dont hire a car, is it ok to travel in Taxi's / Tuk Tuk with baby in a carrier.
    2. If we do hire a car can we still travel with the toddler in a baby carrier? or are there laws stipulating children should be in a car seat?

Boat Trips
    3. We thinking about a day trip to one on the islands - is this safe to do with a toddler? Do boats have life jackets on board for toddlers?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Leighan

#1 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 03:58

• Advertisement

• busylizzy

Joined Travelfish
    31st December, 2007
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 20
    Places visited:
    At least 107

Madmac would be a good one to give you some info on the car seat questions. Send him a PM if he doesn't popup on here in the next day or two.

In terms of life jackets on boats - that completely depends on the boat. Even adults would be lucky to have a lifejacket handy on some boats! If you are talking about a longboat for your day trip, I have seen some with jackets, and some without. I'd be surprised if they had them for kids though, but it might be a case of asking around once you are there. If you are looking at a more commercial operation, then maybe google some of their websites and contact them to find out.

Not that I want to scare you, but TF posted a link to this article recently: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/more-news/close-shave-with-disaster/story-fn7x8me2-1226239372915 The indication here is that they had life jackets, so that's good news.

Funnily enough, I noticed life jackets for sale at several places in Pakse (Laos). It seemed so unusual that it actually stood out as something I noticed! It was just a casual observation so I didn't look at them too closely. But maybe that's an option for you: either bring one with you or buy one when you get there. (I was going to add a comment that you might find it's not worthwhile for only a day trip to an island.... but hey, it's your child!).

#2 Posted: 11/1/2012 - 04:22

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Looking for more people to hire nice slow boat ... By tylerhlewis on 3 May 2012 4 1630 7 Jul 2012
Boat trips from Vietnam into Cambodia ... By wilkaway on 23 Jun 2014 0 455 23 Jun 2014
Boat Trips HCMC to Phnom Penh help! ... By crazylegs on 28 Jun 2013 0 666 28 Jun 2013
Freedom Adventures boat trips from Ko Lanta ... By Cashewnuttree on 21 Jul 2010 3 2064 27 Jul 2010
Boat trips Phnom Penh to Stung treng ... By redmill on 16 Jan 2008 4 6201 20 Jan 2008