Travel with kids forum

Where to go in october/november?

• mmm

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2013

Hi,

I'm planning a trip for 2.5-3 weeks starting somewhere in the second half of October and going into November, for our family (having four kids, ages between 6 and 13).
    I'm mainly looking at Sri Lanka, Thailand, Vietnam and Malaysia. My plan is to stay in 3 or 4 locations during the trip (not too long travel between each).

Our main goal are some nice beaches, good weather and a good price level. :) Some snorkeling options from the beach would also be nice.
    But the weather seems to be quite unstable during this period in all those countries. So I wonder where would the best weather be during this time of year? What destinations would you recommend for us?

When looking myself it seems like eastern Thailand, i.e. Koh Chang and nearby islands and maybe Koh Samet seems pretty ok in November (but still quite rainy in October). And maybe southern parts of Vietnam too. The other contries/areas are rainy in November too, having around 2-300mm rain. Is that correct? Are there mainly short afternoon/evening showers or is it cloudy/raining all day?
    How about winds, is it also windy everywhere in this region?

Also wonder how easy will it be in the different countries with transports, hotel options, etc (at reasonable rates), with a "big" family as ours?

We've been to Thailand (Koh Samui, Phangan and Tao) before and that seems like the safe and easy alternative. Don't mind going there again but could be nice to visit another country. :)
    Sri Lanka seems nice, but am a bit worried about the weather there. Seems quite rainy and I guess it can be quite windy as well during this period? Would that also mean the ocean is not suitable for children (strong currents and big waves)? Also read that it might be more expensive then the other destinations, is that correct?
    Vietnam and Malaysia - don't know much about them, but I guess Malaysia is quite similar to Thaland and Vietnam is a bit less developed?? Visa to Vietnam seems a bit expensive too...

Regarding our destinations, we would prefer them too be not too isolated (for example would be good with some restaurants in the area), but they should not be too crowded either. Pool at the hotels we'll stay at would also be appreciated.

#1 Posted: 15/3/2013 - 19:32

• Advertisement

• mmm

Joined Travelfish
    15th March, 2013

My first post was quite long, so I'll try to summarize what we try to find. :)

In October/November, where can we find:
    * Good weather (sunny and not too rainy or too windy)
    * Nice beaches
    * Sea suitable for children (not babies, our youngest will be 6 years). Preferably no big waves or strong currents.
    * Good price level (hotels, food..)
    * Hotel room for a family of 6 at or close to the beach and preferably with a pool
    * Good snorkeling (not a requirement but would be appreciated)
    * Would also appreciate if it could be possible to see some animal wildlife nearby (monkeys, ... etc). Maybe jungle/trekking tours or similar suitable for children?
    * Not too isolated, i.e. would prefer a selection of restaurants. But also want to avoid the most touristy areas, like Phuket. :)

As I wrote in my first post, Koh Chang looks like an alternative for us. But as I understand, there are not any good snorkeling around there which is a minus... Is there any place outside of Thailand (Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Vietnam or similar) that could suit us this time of year?

#2 Posted: 17/3/2013 - 02:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
5 weeks in October/November ... By irogulska on 26 May 2013 3 1287 26 May 2013
Malaysia in October/November ... By skezmyster on 16 May 2013 0 945 16 May 2013
Bali 17 day itinerary - October/November ... By ChristD on 11 May 2014 6 1185 4 Jun 2014
Trip through North by car in October/November - Want to hop in? ... By RotPickup on 7 Sep 2008 1 1949 8 Sep 2008