Travel with kids forum

8-10 MONTH AROUND S.E ASIA WITH 7 YEAR OLD SON

• bevster2010

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2013

hi we are looking to travel Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia next June 2014, and need ALOT of advice.

how much will we need? we are thinking about £12,000 not including return flights into Bangkok from London, travel insurance, multi entry visa for Thailand which we will purchase before leaving . Our rough idea of what we are going to do will be as follows tell me if this idea is crap.

4 or 5 nights Bangkok- will book this hotel , any ideas for good but not posh family central h2otels there are so many and cant decide.

6-8 weeks koh phagnan beach bungalow I have a few quotes to get ideas of prices but shall wait to look as ive read you don't always get what you see online but this has ranged from £380-520 for 8 weeks-any recommendations for beach bungalows.

8-10 weeks penang Malaysia- any info on semi long term accommodation, also will this be too long?

2-4 weeks-Cambodia-hotel recommendations siem reap,beach area,

2-4 weeks-laos- hotel recommendations luang prabang,vietiene

6-8 weeks or longer- Chiang mai- semi Long term accommodation

we are travelling fairly slowly so we can immerse ourselves a little and also my 7 year old will enjoy settling for a while.

so this is the plan what do you think? crap plan? too much? too little?, more money?, too slow?. please give me honest opinions they would be well appreciated.
    many thanks
    bev x

#1 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 01:28

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

"4 or 5 nights Bangkok- will book this hotel , any ideas for good but not posh family central h2otels there are so many and cant decide."

My wife and daughter really like the Park Avenue on Soi 22 in Sukhimvite. That's their hotel of preference.

"8-10 weeks penang Malaysia- any info on semi long term accommodation, also will this be too long?"

I don't think too long is ever an issue. People live their entire lives in Penang and it apparently isn't too long for them. You can always move on if you grow tired of a place.

"2-4 weeks-Cambodia-hotel recommendations siem reap,beach area,"

You didn't mention PP - but I really liked it.

Overall I think you are playing this smart - but one thing you didn't mention is school for the little guy. Are you going to home school him for the year? Since you'll be moving around, enrolling him in a local school doesn't really seem like a reasonable option.

#2 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 01:57

• bevster2010

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2013

Hi thanks so much for reply and hotel recommendation for Bangkok will check it out.

PP- I know this sounds terriable but I've read more negative trip reports then positive , maybe need to look into a bit more. Me and my husband wanted to see the killing fields and the horrendous history behind the khmer Rouge, but would you recommend a 7 year old seeing this, part of me thinks yes he should the other part thinks no he is too young- did you take your kids, also I realise there is more to PP then the killing fields etc but that's what usually comes up on travel forums....

Also we have homeschooled our kids anyway so no probs on that score and have been in contact with a few families on the road to get roadschooling advice and we are not too worried we will just carry on as normal...

thanks again for the reply going to check out that hotel and have another look at what PP has to offer.
    bev x

#3 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 07:25

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I think, on balance, your 7-year old does not need to see the horror sights of PP. Travelling for 8 - 10 months at that age will give him exposure to enough "culture" compared to his contemporaries that I don't think he needs any exposure to those particular atrocities.

#4 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 08:00

• bevster2010

Joined Travelfish
    11th July, 2013

thanks for the reply chinarocks, this was my thinking as well, I think we adults will find it difficult let alone a 7 year old, it seems opinions are split on parents decisions to take or not to take there kids to the killing fields from the forums and blogs I've read. I guess it's all down to the nature of your child as well but for now I think we shall leave that horror from our sons mind.
    thanks again for your advice really appreciated.
    bev x

#5 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 12:08

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I went - and I'm kind of sad I did. And no I did not bring my daughter, she didn't come with me to PP. I found myself haunted by what I saw in regards to the KR. And I am not a soft man. I have been exposed to plenty of real live violence in my life. But there was somethign utterly depraved about Toul Sleng. I'm not a believer in Ghosts and so forth, but there was something horrid in the atmosphere of the place. I won't go back and I won't take my daughter there either.

But PP is a lot more than that. I enjoyed the city on the whole.

#6 Posted: 11/7/2013 - 12:53

• Joelle

Joined Travelfish
    10th July, 2013
    Location Belgium
    Places visited:
    At least 13

Hi there,

I just did PP with young kids last months and wrote a blog post about it:
    http://howtotraveltheworldwithchildren.blogspot.com/2013/07/a-short-guide-to-phnom-penh-with-young.html

We had a great time there!
    Another tip for Cambodia with a 7-year old - make sure to see Phare the Cambodian circus - in Siem Reap or Battambang.

#7 Posted: 16/8/2013 - 12:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
28 year old guy, setting out on 6 month SE Asia adventure (MAY-OCT) ... By onewayticket on 17 Mar 2010 12 2169 18 May 2010