Travel with kids forum

Backpacking with children

• Georgi66

Joined Travelfish
    11th April, 2008

My husband and three children 14 yrs, 12 and 10 and myself are planning to travel to Thailand mid June for approx 3 weeks. Keen to have authentic experience and possibly backpack with kids and stay in budget to mid range price accommodation. Very keen to receive input into feasibility and ideas. New to this! Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Thinking of launching from Bangkok.

#1 Posted: 11/4/2008 - 08:22

• Advertisement

• ekay

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2008
    Location Thailand

Hi,
    It is great to travel with the children because the world is their teacher and knowing the host country is to make them realize to appreciate more of their home country.
    Should you be passing through Chiangrai, north Thailand and are keen to experience more of the people and meeting your travel budget.

We are a family of three residing in Chiangrai, northern Thailand. Any travelers passing through and are keen to learn some conversational Thai, home cooking and at the same time wants to experience the inside-out of the Thai culture and lifestyle in a rice farming village but with the comfort of running water, a seating flush toilet and a furnished bedroom. To see and experience the local areas can be done at cost. Feel free to post here or PM me of your interest but share out the food cost.

Happy family travels. Eric.

#2 Posted: 12/4/2008 - 19:39

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi,

In three weeks you'll have time to see Bangkok, some of the north or west, and an island or two.

A good destination for kids is Kanchanaburi to the west of Bangkok. There's loads to do (boatrides, national parks, waterfalls, elephant rides, trekking, swimming in river etc) and the range of riverside accommodation is great.

Up north Chiang Mai is a popular stop, but again kids may find Pai more welcoming with it's open spaces and welcoming vibe. As with Kanchanaburi there's ample opportunity for rafting, swimming, elephant riding etc.

Down south, because they'll be monsson on the west coast, I'd choose an island on the east coast -- perhaps Ko Pha Ngan or Ko Samui or, if you'd prefer to stay closer to Bangkok, Ko Samet is also very good.

Thai people are generally terrific with children and I'm sure they'll enjoy it.

More questions, ask away!

#3 Posted: 14/4/2008 - 08:22

• rezinka

Joined Travelfish
    15th April, 2008

Hi all,
    great reading!

I´ve already posted on LP´s TT but I believe I could get some interesting info here, too.

We are thinking of taking our 3 yo by that time to Thailand (Feb/Mar 09. Everything seems rather clear by now, the only issue we cannot come to agree upon is the choice of the islands. We would love to spend some time on both coasts. Moreover, we would prefer some not-so-tourist spots. Ko Maak and Ko Lipe seem great to us but we also must take in account our daughter´s needs and choose something in malaria low risk area...

All suggestions, ideas and comments are welcome!

Thanks in advance!

#4 Posted: 16/4/2008 - 15:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.