Travel with kids forum

Southern Laos with young children

• StephanieM

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

We are planning to travel in Southern Laos mid-October with our 3 children (ages range from 8 months to 4 years). Our plan is to spend 3 days in the Boloven area at the TadFane Lodge, then take the cruise on the WatPhou boat and finish on a high end note at LaFolie Lodge on DongDaen. My concern is about Malaria. I hear mixed reports about it. We live in Bkk and have travelled a bit around with the children without taking any anti-malaria drugs. Does anyone can help me on this matter? Is there a real danger or frequent DEET product sprays should be enough?
    Any advices on hotel in the area we are going is also greatly appreciated. No firm reservations anywhere yet.

#1 Posted: 15/9/2009 - 23:04

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'd be more concerned about Dengue (and am - I have a three year old myself) than malaria. But honestly I am not sure if the Bolovens are in a malarial zone or not. Perhaps Somsai can help you on that one.

#2 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 00:18

• Rufus

Joined Travelfish
    22nd April, 2007
    Location Laos

Agree with the above. Wear long sleeved shirts, and use deet. For Malaria prophylactics, the side effects can be bad.

#3 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 07:29

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I'm the last person to give med advice, always some doctor to tell me I'm nuts. When I went down there with a then 4 and 1 year old we took nothing wore no repelent. All the malaria maps and web sites seem to have old info. The rate now is very low, and yes we went up on the plateau.

Centre of Malariology Parasitology and Entomoly, Vientiane, Lao PDR:

#4 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 09:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Was in that area last year and saw very few mosquitoes. Of course, it only takes one, but they weren't a problem at all. Had DEET but never used it. Burned coils on the veranda but probably didn't have to. You'll be there at a different time of the year (wet), though, so you may have a different experience than I did.

Stayed at Souchitra GH in Champasak . Had a bungalow right on the river and it was great. The nameless restaurant to the right of the resort (when facing the river) was excellent and inexpensive. Champasak is a really nice place to stay at if you're going to Wat Phu, but this may not be necessary if you're going to be staying on Don Daeng. It's very close.

Didn't go to LaFolie Lodge, but it was visible at night from pretty much everywhere (probably even space!) along the river. The place was lit-up like a Christmas tree.

It's a great area. There is little to no boat traffic, the fish aren't farmed but wild and straight out of the river, and it is QUIET. Amazingly quiet, in fact.

If you are going to stay in Pakse, Salachampa (despite a couple of bad reviews on this site) was quite good.

#5 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 21:04

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"It's a great area. There is little to no boat traffic, the fish aren't farmed but wild and straight out of the river, and it is QUIET. Amazingly quiet, in fact."

So what's the upside?

#6 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 21:11

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"So what's the upside?"

No salsa music ;?)

#7 Posted: 16/9/2009 - 22:51

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

'"So what's the upside?"

No salsa music ;?)"

That was a given - there's no salsa in Laos at all. Big problem. There's salsa in Khazakstan, but not in Laos. How can that be?

Anyway, so what did you DO when you were Champasak? What made it a "great little area"? Seriously.

#8 Posted: 17/9/2009 - 11:55

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

"That was a given ..."

Not always. You found it in Khazakstan, didn't you?

Good first impression - beautiful location between the mountains and the Mekong. An interesting ferry crossing into the town from the east side of the river. The place is clean and devoid of traffic. People were exceptionally friendly (the few of them that there were.) The riverbank was not littered with plastic bottles and no speedboats or even longtail boats were plying the river. The place we stayed in was clean and comfortable, and it wasn't the only good one around. Some really nice colonial architecture. No major traffic artery going in or out (except the river) ... the place is practically an island. Evenings were silent but for the infrequent karaoke night. Had all the facilities I needed for the time I was there ... internet, post office, bank, shops, restaurants.

I was cycling, so did a lot of that - into the villages further away from the river at the base of the mountains. Cycled along the river between the town and Wat Phu a few times. The road was in really good shape and there were a couple of nice villages along the way. Several nice little temples were scattered along one of the town's two roads and were always open to check out. Played a little boules (or whatever that game is called) with some of the local gents by the school and wrapped-up with some of their vile rice whiskey. Did a lot of hammock swinging and reading ... had just done about 800km on my bike.

Something tells me you aren't going to be rushing down there anytime soon, Mac.

#9 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 00:21

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

You could be right. Sounds incredibly boring.

#10 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 01:22

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sort of thought you would.

#11 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 02:59

• Tilapia

Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I meant to say, "Sort of thought you would think that."

#12 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 03:00

• StephanieM

Joined Travelfish
    3rd July, 2009

Thaks everyone for the tips. Will definetely go there.
    Question: I read bad reviews about the Tad Fane Lodge (beautiful outside, very dirty inside).

So now I am hesitationg between TadLo Lodge (is it by the way a different hotel from TadLo Resort? can't figure that) and the above mentionned Tad Fane Lodge?

Any inputs? (plus e-mail adress for TadLo Lodge)

Thanks again.

#13 Posted: 18/9/2009 - 21:39

• somsai

Joined Travelfish
    1st March, 2006
    Location United States

I never heard bad things about TF resort being dirty, never stayed there but stopped by many times. It always seems a little over the top trying to be fancy, maybe in Thailand but seldom visited overpriced bungalos? I think they get a lot of day traffic up from Pakse and over from Tland to see the falls. Maybe the Thai owner is often absent?

The trekking companies stay just up the street at a fraction of the price, no email, no internet, no prebooking, etc, and probably lower rent than you are looking for. I blogged about it here.

Tad Fan Sihom Sabai Guest House:

#14 Posted: 19/9/2009 - 07:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
travelling with young children ... By myrto on 24 Jul 2006 2 4361 25 Jul 2006
Vietnam with young children ... By myrto on 24 Jul 2006 3 4216 6 Sep 2006
Ko Tao accommodations for family with young children ... By chaimdan on 19 Apr 2010 2 3290 21 Apr 2010
10 weeks in SE Asia with two young children - it's a wrap! ... By FoundVagabond on 25 Aug 2014 6 943 30 Sep 2014
Bangkok to Siem Reap overland with two young children ... By lolarosaliu on 19 Jan 2011 5 3623 22 Jan 2011
advice/recommendations for young adults on southern islands ... By chambers on 3 Jun 2008 1 3180 3 Jun 2008