Travel with kids forum

Should children cover up in Wat´s?

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

We are leaving tomorrow for 6½ month around the globe, starting with 2 month in SE Asia. I´ve was just wondering; I know that you got to cover up when you visit temples and stuff, but what about children. Do boys have to wear long pants or are shorts fine for them and girls can they show of their knees. They are 5 and 8.

Thanks in advance

Pia

#1 Posted: 7/12/2009 - 18:33

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Kids do not need to "cover up". Even adults don't need to go crazy - this isn't Islam we're talking about. Just not short, shorts and spaghetti tops. In most places Bermuda shorts are fine (I see them every day in the hot months at the temple across my street) and any kind of decent shirt that isn't showing cleavage or is otherwise provocative.

I doubt kids clothing should be an issue (it's cold right now anywhere - at least up here), but kids behavior, that's something else. Kids running around yelling, trying to climb around like monkeys... and parents who do nothing about it, are not appreciated. Puts everyone in an uncomfortable position. As long as the kids are well behaved, I think you should be fine. Can't imagine their clothing (unless it's what's beyond socially acceptable just about anywhere) should be a problem.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 09:36

• pia2am

Joined Travelfish
    22nd January, 2009
    Location Denmark

Thanks Madmac

That´s just what I was thinking, didn´t mean covering up like in Islam, just didn´t wanna arrive and then be turned away cause the kids wore shorts. And believe you me, they will not run around and climb everything. I hate when kids do that and as you say, it´s worse when the parents´doesn´t say anything to them.

Sooo excited now. We are leaving for London in a few hours and Bangkok in 2 days time.

Pia

#3 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 13:59

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Pretty much the only temple in Thailand which absolutely requires long pants for everyone (or dress for females) is Wat Phra Kaew (Temple of the Emerald Buddha) at the Grand Palace in Bangkok. There are also footwear restrictions there. "Rental" garments and house shoes are available however.

In most of Thailand, temple etiquette is limited to covered shoulders and knees, e.g. t-shirts and long shorts ok and the usual shoes-off when entering the main wihan, kneel or sit before the Buddha altar and don't point your feet at Buddha images or monks, etc. etc.

Do's and Don'ts in Thailand
    http://www.tourismthailand.org/travel-information/travel-information-107-1.html

#4 Posted: 8/12/2009 - 14:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.