Travel with kids forum

Backpacking with kids

• humph

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2010

We are taking our 11yr old and 9yr old to Vietnam and Cambodia in July. We have decided to take backpacks instead of cases and stay in mid to budget accommodation and take buses and trains to try and get a more real experience. We have never backpacked (although we have traveled to asia several times and have been to Cambodia before) and are not sure what packs to buy. Have done a search and seen many suggestions on different options, so now need to decide: do we get 2 big (65 - 75lt) packs for hubby and I to carry and let kids take day pack and camera backpack, or do we all get small packs (45lt or so) to carry our gear in?

Has anyone done backpacking with kids? If so would love some advice before we fork out the money!

Thanks

#1 Posted: 16/1/2010 - 14:21

• Advertisement

• sbb

Joined Travelfish
    10th February, 2010

Hi,
    We are also going to Vietnam with our 3 kids of similar ages (8,10 &12).
    45 litre packs will be far too large for the kids.
    We will be taking two large 60-70 litre bags and smaller ones for the kids (probably around 25-30 litres). You can get bags that have adjustable straps. It is possible to buy bags for children e.g. Deuter Fox 30 junior and it will adjust to several sizes. Make sure the bags you choose have padded waist straps and a chest strap to distribute the weight.
    Good luck, we are going at Easter. Maybe I can let you know how we got on.

#2 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 04:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Find out how much weight the kids can carry comfortably, and then buy packs that can accomodate that much weight. Remmember, you don't have to carry the packs all that far. From the plane to the taxi, from a taxi to a bus... I carry 25 kilos with no problem at all, and I am not a large man. The jaunts are short. It's not like you're going to parachute in with the 82nd and have to hump that pack fifty miles.

"We have decided to take backpacks instead of cases and stay in mid to budget accommodation and take buses and trains to try and get a more real experience."

In my honest opinion, the only way to get a more "real experience" is to take considerable time, learn the language at least somewhat, and stay in one place to develop a familiarity with people on a personal basis. This takes a number of months, if not years, which you probably don't have. Backpacking is a synonym for traveling cheap.

#3 Posted: 10/2/2010 - 18:00

• dasankita

Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2011

It's really cool to go on backpacking with children.

#4 Posted: 13/5/2011 - 13:30

• GermanCoast-
    girl

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2011

Hi Humph, I will be travelling 6 weeks with my almost 6-year-old beginning next year ! I am only 1,54 m and decided that 55l+10 will have to be sufficient for my and kids' stuff ! My kid got a Deuter Kid's day pack for his birthday and will carry around that one with games, books, day stuff.... Carrying his own back a) glues him somehow to me during 'travel times' and b) gives him the feeling what it is like to be a backpacker (good education as Mommie will definitely not carry his stuff)... ;-)

@MadMac, I love your ideas and comments !!

Humph, have fun and enjoy !

#5 Posted: 16/5/2011 - 17:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

We've been traveling a lot lately and my four year old daughter carries her own pack, with her clothes and tooth brush / paste. Her clothes are lightweight and don't take up much space. I carry all the other ancillary stuff for my wife, daughter and myself. This gives my daughter the feeling that she's carrying her load (literally) and she likes it. It's not much weight of course, as she can't carry much weight. I'll bet your kids will like the feel of independence that goes with hauling their own stuff though.

#6 Posted: 17/5/2011 - 00:15

• parveen7

Joined Travelfish
    11th December, 2013

Thanks for the information..

#7 Posted: 26/12/2013 - 09:51

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.