Travel with kids forum

family trip to Thailand/cambodia

• Snejbjerg

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

Hallo.
    We are a danish family, 2 adults, 3 children age 7, 14, 16 years who would like to visit Thailand. My vife and I have been there 3 times, but that was backpack travel in the 1987, 1992 and 1993.
    We plan to go in last two weeks of june and all of july...

We have three questions:

1. what is the weather conditions during this period if we whant to go to Koh Chang/koh Kut area and to Cambodia (Angor Wat area)

2. Which of the islands near Koh Chang/koh Cut is the most beutyful and relaxed

3. We have heard that Koh Phi Phi is to crouded in the high season. What about july and how is the weather conditions on this side of Thailand

Hope to hear from travellers with experience
    Best regards Jan and family

#1 Posted: 27/1/2010 - 17:27

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

1) June, July and August are the wettest three months of the year on Ko Chang and Ko Kut -- check this page for a weather map: http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

Angkor Wat will also be wet, but that is less of an issue.

2) Ko Wai would be my pick, but as I mentioned, it will be very very wet.

3) Ko Phi Phi is very popular and crowded, but it is also very wet at that time of the year. Your best best for islands in June through August is Ko Samui, Ko Pha Ngan and Ko Tao -- but they are all quite developed nowadays.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 28/1/2010 - 07:18

• Snejbjerg

Joined Travelfish
    27th January, 2010

Hallo again. Thank you for all replies. It is however still a little unclear to me where to go in Thailand....Koh Chang area and Cambodia (Angkor) or south Thailand Koh Phi Phi. We do whish to see some nice beach, and to do some snorkling.

do anyone have advice to share with us.....

Thanks again
    Jan

#3 Posted: 2/2/2010 - 19:11

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

If you check travelfish's weather map you will find that the southern Gulf is usually driest that time of year - its wet season normally does not cut in until Oct. So for most sunshine/least rain I'd be heading for Samui/Phangan/Tao. I reckon Phangan is the best allrounder of these, but Tao is best for snorkelling. Samui has the biggest range of high-end and midrange accommodation.

On average the big Ko Chang area is a fair bit wetter than Phi Phi mid year. Maybe because of this, Phi Phi will be busier, but still in low season.
    Phi Phi has the best snorkelling - big Chang is ordinary as are Mak and Kut - Whai is pretty good.
    The areas south of big Chang have limited transport in wet season and not all accomm places will be open.
    Phi Phi tends to have places open all year these days.

#4 Posted: 3/2/2010 - 17:25

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.