Travel news forum

Hoi An or NhaTrang

• molrat7797

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

I will be travelling to Saigon Jan 22 for a day, then as we only have 5 days we are undecided on whether to go to Hoi An or Nha Trang for the remainder. I have 2 teen boys ages 11 & 13 so twas wondering which of the two options are the better ones for us, my wife likes to shop and my boys and i just like to laze around the pool/beach, we are into cultural things as well, but this holiday is more a lazy holiday in prep for the start of school, any feedback or advice will be muchly appreciated, i was thinking of staying at the victorian hoi an resort, or if we decided to go Nga Trang maybe the vinpearl, i just pray the weather is fine, that too could make a huge decision on where we decide to go, your comments please?

#1 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 20:39

• Advertisement

• Indoluso

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2009

Hi, I didn't go to Nha Trang, which is just a big tourist resort. However Hoi An was one of the most beautiful places I visited in Vietnam. It's a beautiful town, there is a very nice market, you can go fishing with local fishermen, there are great places to eat, many things to buy, from handcraft stuff to tailor made clothing. Next to Hoi An you have good beaches as well as resorts on the road between Danang and Hoi An.

#2 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 20:52

• molrat7797

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Indoluso,
    Thanks mate appreicate it, and around late Jan, what is the weather like, i am following the forecast now, and it seems to be raining everyday in Hoi An.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2011 - 21:04

• francesstel-
    la

Click here to learn more about francesstella
    Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2009
    Location Italy

Hoi An hands down. It's a gorgeous colonial town, the beach nearby is lovely and we enjoyed some of the most amazing food in Vietnam. Nha Trang has a not-so-impressive theme park and that's about its greatest attraction.

If you're looking for a beach holiday Mui Ne might be a good place to visit too, with the extra bonus of being closer to HCMC than either Nha Trang or Hoi An. It's basically a long stretch of beach with dozens of beach-front guest houses to choose from, lots of kite surfing and the sand dunes nearby make for a good day trip.

Have fun whichever you choose!

FSH

#4 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 09:32

• molrat7797

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

FSH,
    thanks heaps, Mui Ne looks and sounds great, thanks for the advice, by reading other views elsewhere, Hoi An seems to be the place to visit.
    thanks again for your time.

#5 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 10:21

• travellings-
    arah

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    23rd March, 2010
    Location Vietnam
    Total reviews: 11
    Places visited:
    At least 87

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sounds like you've decided, but I'll add my thoughts anyway ...

Hoi An definitely fits the bill best of those three places in terms of the mix of shopping and beach as well as food and culture (if you decide you want it) but you can't guarantee the weather at the end of January. My boyfriend has just spent a few days there and it was definitely not beach weather but then, my parents went the middle of last February and had great weather. So it's a case of just taking your chances and having a backup for sightseeing or whatever if the weather doesn't go your way.

Mui Ne is a good choice location and weather-wise (although you'd have to go by coach so it will probably end up taking as long as flying to Hoi An) but there's no shopping apart from tourist shops, so your wife might get bored.

I didn't mind Nha Trang. I agree with the descriptions above, but for a few days on the beach - with activities if you want them - it's not bad. Shopping's mainly touristy but there's a market just out of town too.

#6 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 13:19

• molrat7797

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011

Hi Sarah,
    No, i havent decided as yet, but leaning towards Hoi An, the only negative about Hoi An, is the fact that it may rain the whole 5 days we are there, i quite agree with you, in having a plan b should the weather turn sour, either way it really does sound like a wonderful place to visit.
    cheers;

#7 Posted: 8/1/2011 - 15:57

• EdSue

Joined Travelfish
    12th June, 2009
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 8

Hoi An is definitely the best place to go. Not only will your wife be able to shop 'til she drops - brilliant stuff - but you and the boys will be able to laze around and drink beer etc on the beach just outside of town. All this and fantastic restaurants as well as a bit of culture too!! We admittedly are 'oldies' but Nha Trang was brash, busy and too cosmopolitan and we could have been anywhere. Have a fantastic time.

#8 Posted: 12/1/2011 - 20:55

• daawgon

Joined Travelfish
    17th April, 2007
    Total reviews: 2

Hoi An has everything, and Nha Trang does not. Many like NT because it has nightlife and a good bar scene (as well as more crime). If you like to eat well, Hoi An hands down!

#9 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 11:24

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Hoi An for me also.

If you do go to Hoi An, and this is not a plug, then you have to call in to Cafe 43. Best and cheapest food and bia hoi we had in Vietnam by far I would say.

#10 Posted: 29/8/2012 - 11:34

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.