Travel news forum

Fish Spas may spread infection

• ButterflyGl-
    ove

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Saw this news today:

(Reuters) - Fish spa pedicures have become a popular alternative to exfoliation in recent years but health officials say they are now investigating the pampering treatment on concerns it may spread infection.
    The procedure involves customers placing their feet into a water tank filled with toothless Garra rufa fish -- also called doctor fish -- which suck the dead tissue off their feet to leave them feeling softer.
    Officials at Britain's Health Protection Agency (HPA) said they were launching an investigation into possible infection risks associated with the exfoliation treatment after receiving enquiries from local environmental health officers.
    The HPA said it would assess all of the latest evidence on risks before issuing guidelines for the spa treatment.
    "The HPA and Health Protection Scotland is currently unaware of any cases of infection associated with the use of the fish spas pedicures in the UK," a spokesman said.
    Fish spa pedicures have already been banned in some U.S. states for health and safety reasons.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/03/01/us-fish-pedicures-odd-idUSTRE7205BM20110301

Fish Spas are hugely popular in Asia. Might be worth bearing this in mind before indulging in this fishy therapy.

Christina

#1 Posted: 2/3/2011 - 12:10

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Really? This whole thing sounds fishy to me. I'd like to hear what Tilapia has to say about this, since he knows quite a bit about hygiene and the like.

I've never done the fish spa pedicure myself because it always seemed really expensive compared to the price of a beer. But if the fish spa pedicure is off the table now, the regular foot massage places do a great job scrubbing and rubbing your feet back to health. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 03:17

• ButterflyGl-
    ove

Joined Travelfish
    20th February, 2011

Haha, exacto.. I agree that it is wholly acceptable to measure currency in terms of beer when living in Asia. Perhaps it is for this reason that I too have not indulged.

I tried it once, just dipped my hands in, and it was the strangest sensation. I think i'd choose a foot massage any day.

It'll be interesting to see how this develops though...

#3 Posted: 3/3/2011 - 13:59

• Chromerider

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2011
    Location New Zealand
    Total reviews: 2
    Places visited:
    At least 29

This sort of nonsense is about as silly as the people I see using sterile gloves on their hands before using ATM in my country.I have swum in many waterfalls in Asia and those fish,were in all the pools and often nibbled by them.A strange feeling,and took a little getting used to.The first time I experienced this,I nearly walked on water,I had not heard about what these fish were about, previously.
    My opinion is, the less we expose ourselves to natural germs,which we are quite able to resist,the sooner new diseases and infections,will appear.
    The pools I swam in were free in the jungle,but there were no beers !!

#4 Posted: 7/6/2011 - 19:11

• Saphir

Click here to learn more about Saphir
    Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2009
    Total reviews: 7
    Places visited:
    At least 57

I had fish nibble my feet in Malacca, but I'm ok because I was drinking beer at the same time.

#5 Posted: 26/11/2012 - 00:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.