Photo: Temple outside Monywa.

Travel news forum

LONG HAUL AIRASIA

This form has been closed and no further posts are being accepted.

Posted by RACHYPF on 19/4/2012 at 15:39

Anyone flown long haul with Airasia? Thinking of booking KL to Christchurch NZ with Airasai a massive saving of about £500 each? Have flown with them many times before throughout SE Asia and always found to be a friendly service.

#1 RACHYPF has been a member since 13/11/2009. Posts: 42

Posted by stefanw on 19/4/2012 at 16:22

Have flown CHC to KL and back. They are perfectly good as long as you can sit there without entertainment or bring your own. When we considered how much we saved (about $1000) it didn't bother us at all.

#2 stefanw has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 50

Posted by busylizzy on 19/4/2012 at 17:32

I flew the Chch - KL route and it was absolutely fine. Plane was maybe 2/3 full. I booked a seat down the back in the hopes that most people were in the front, and scored myself an entire centre row to stretch out in for the overnight flight. And all for NZ$179! (It was an introductory fare when the first launched).

BUT..... Air Asia have withdrawn their flights from NZ from the end of May. So you better get on your bike... er... plane!
http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/6562935/AirAsia-X-confirms-end-to-Christchurch-services

This sucks bigtime for NZ. I wish they would consider running a route from NZ to Australia then on to KL - they would fill up their planes then.

#3 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by SBE on 19/4/2012 at 17:44

They've already stopped flying to Paris, London, Mumbai and New Dehli this year.

#4 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,004
 Where has SBE been? 

Posted by busylizzy on 19/4/2012 at 20:17

This just popped as a post on Facebook by Air Asia NZ:

"Awesome Autumn Deals! We've just put some low fares to Asia on sale from $299 one-way Christchurch to KL for travel from now till the end of May. Or maybe a quick getaway to Singapore from $329, Phuket from $389 or Bangkok or Bali from $449 one-way from Christchurch can tempt you?

Online fares on sale till April 29. Book now for our bargain fares at www.airasia.com. (Please note for your return planning that our final flight from KL to Christchurch is on 30 May 2012)."

Those will be NZD prices, too.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by stefanw on 20/4/2012 at 18:56

Another cheap option is to FlyScoot. It's a new LCC from Singapore Airlines and currently has flights from Singapore to Sydney or the Gold Coast for 128 SGD.

#6 stefanw has been a member since 10/12/2010. Posts: 50

Posted by busylizzy on 20/4/2012 at 20:36

Hey thanks for that info, stephan. I hadn't heard of them before. It could be worthwhile for us in NZ to cross the ditch and fly from there. It's always good to know the options.

Edit: OK, it looks like they are not up and running yet. But here's the brief from their website:

"Scoot™ will provide medium and long haul no-frills flights from mid-2012, with tickets going on sale in the first quarter of 2012. With an initial fleet of four Boeing 777 aircraft, Scoot's first-year routes will link Australia, Singapore and China, with others to be announced. Scoot will provide – in addition to fantastic value airfares – a safe, reliable and contemporary travel experience with a unique attitude – Scootitude™. "

#7 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155

Posted by RACHYPF on 22/4/2012 at 09:29

Hi thanks for the above especially the advice about cutting the service at the end of May, hopefully we will be flying within that period.

#8 RACHYPF has been a member since 13/11/2009. Posts: 42

Forum closed

This forum has been closed and no further posts are allowed.