Travel news forum

Cambodia: Dengue warning

• travelfishn-
    ews

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009
    Total reviews: 30

[http://www.phnompenhpost.com/index.php/2009042425500/National-news/Public-Health-Govt-issues-dengue-warning.html]The PP Post reportsthat the Ministry of Health has warned people to be extra cautious of dengue fever in light of an early rainy season this year. The PP Post says that the ministry plans to distribute more than 100 tonnes of preventative medicine in rural areas this month in a bid to curb infection rates.

While it's good to know that dengue is around and travellers should take all the precautions against getting bitten that they can, we're a bit baffled by this preventative medicine business. As far as we're aware, you can't take anything to stop getting dengue.

#1 Posted: 27/4/2009 - 10:53

• Advertisement

• sayadian

Joined Travelfish
    15th January, 2008

I'm assuming The preventative medicine bit is probably a glitch in translation.
    In Thai, medicine(yah) can denote all sorts of things including toothpaste.Yah gan young normally refers to a smoke coil to kill mosquitos rather than something you ingest but is still referred to as a medicine.I think Khmer is similar in this respect and 't'nam.' i.e. medicine has the same broad meaning
    The report probably refers to distribution of DEET as you are correct there is no medicine you can take to prevent it.

Dengue is a nasty illness which will lay you out with a fever and bodily aches for up to a week but it shouldn't kill a healthy, well-fed Westerner.
    I caught it once on Koh Samui and I always believed I then had immunity, not so apparently, there are three types so I try to avoid getting bitten by the day mosquito that carries it.
    Once bitten, twice shy you might say.

#2 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 19:51

• Dylan

Joined Travelfish
    21st March, 2009

Ugh, dengue was rough. Holed up in Hanoi for 5 days while I got over it. Remember that repellent, even if it seems extraneous!

#3 Posted: 21/4/2010 - 21:59

• jackdsilva12

Joined Travelfish
    18th January, 2011

Dengue is usually transmitted by the mosquito Aedes aegypti, and rarely Aedes albopictus. The virus has four different serotypes, and an infection with one usually gives lifelong immunity to it, but only short-term immunity to the others.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2011 - 13:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.