Travel news forum

Thailand: Asian celebs arrive for shopping push

• travelfishn-
    ews

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009
    Total reviews: 30

The Nation reports that 53 celebrities from 11 Asian countries arrived in Bangkok this week for the Tourism Authority of Thailand's "Shopping Challenge 2009", the first campaign of its kind to promote the Amazing Thailand Grand Sale to ASEAN markets. The celebrities were divided into teams with a budget of Bt30,000 each. At nine shopping malls in the Rajprasong area, they raced to complete a shopping list within three and a half hours for prize money of Bt100,000. Santichai Euachongprasit, TAT's deputy governor for international marketing, said the campaign would increase Thailand's visibility in ASEAN. The event was part of the three-month national campaign - Amazing Thailand Grand Sale: Shopping Extravaganza - running until August 31.

We can't help but wonder if this money couldn't have been better spent by say, building an island where the TAT could send all the touts who con tourists. Can you guys think of better ways to promote tourism?

#1 Posted: 3/7/2009 - 13:43

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

Where's my invite?

As a Travelfish contributor, I'd have thought someone from Travelfish would have been singled out to represent this aspect of tourism. I know Somtam can't go - he's relaxing in Bali - but surely someone from travelfish ought to have been there.

Cheers

#2 Posted: 7/7/2009 - 13:02

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.