Travel news forum

AirAsia X gets Abu Dhabi as a hub

• travelfishn-
    ews

Joined Travelfish
    23rd February, 2009
    Total reviews: 30

Channel News Asia is reporting that AirAsia's long-haul arm, AirAsia X, will have a new Middle East hub in Abu Dhabi.

CNA says that having a hub means that the carrier will be able to base its planes outside Kuala Lumpur, and it will not be limited to servicing destinations within an eight-hour radius from the Malaysian capital.

This will allow its network to extend to North Africa and Europe, as it can use the Middle East port as a stopover.

This has pretty interesting implications for discount travel to and from Asia. While we've done plenty of AirAsia flights, we're yet to trial AirAsia X -- has anyone else?

#1 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 12:04

• Advertisement

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

travelfishnews

Since they began services to Australia, it's the only way I travel to Asia.

There's several posts here as to what ppl say about AirAsiaX. Any criticisms are largely directed to the vacuum headed cabin staff and the price for baggage (I don't have that problem, I use carry-on).

Cheers

#2 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 12:34

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

John MacMac said he'd booked a flight in October from London so maybe he'll post a report.

Another budget airline is Air Berlin and they fly to Bangkok from London. They are a full service airline...ie you don't have to pay extra for food, drinks and inflight entertainement.

Now that you can't carry liquids onboard I think they should at least offer free water on Air Asia on long haul flights. Not drinking enough increases the risk of embolism and deep vein thrombosis.

I just checked on skyscanner and on some dates Air Berlin are actually CHEAPER than Air Asia!

#3 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 14:13

• BruceMoon

Click here to learn more about BruceMoon
    Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2008
    Location Australia
    Total reviews: 6

SBE

I'm also off to London via AirAsia in October.

I take my own water on planes. Sure I have to take through the scanner empty, but I fill on other side.

Yep, I wouldn't doubt there are some others cheaper than AirAsiaX - at times. They appear to advertise the specials for cheap prices, then rack up the prices as one gets closer to the fly day, or at peak periods. They're making a profit, and profits dont come from all seats being @ giveaway prices.

Cheers

#4 Posted: 3/8/2009 - 20:25

• pfk98

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

Most recently, my wife and I were stranded in Abu Dhabi when AirAsiaX announced they were canceling service to/from Abu Dhabi in January this year. They didn’t notify us (their stranded passengers) until Feb 10th. Neither did they offer any accommodation nor answer our emails asking for help. We had to get back to Malaysia on our own. They won’t reimburse our added expense either.

#5 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 01:39

• pfk98

Joined Travelfish
    18th December, 2008

Most recently, my wife and I were stranded in Abu Dhabi when AirAsiaX announced they were canceling service to/from Abu Dhabi in January this year. They didn’t notify us (their stranded passengers) until Feb 10th. Neither did they offer any accommodation nor answer our emails asking for help. We had to get back to Malaysia on our own. They won’t reimburse our added expense either.

#6 Posted: 4/3/2010 - 01:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.